Discovery I Talk about the Land Rover Discovery Series I within.

Whats needed to convert a 3.9L to 4.0L

Search this Thread

Old 04-08-2012 | 10:08 AM
|
Winching

Originally Posted by Paul Grant
I converted a 4.0L to run on a four barrel carb a number of years ago. I would NEVER try to go forward with the injection system. By that I mean 14CUX to GEMS. The later conversion is way to much trouble.
Yep, I agree! Way to much trouble!!
Use the front engine cover so you can install your distributor, get a new cam and lifters (you'll need them anyway), block off the hole in the back for the crank sensor and you're pretty much there. Drop the 14CUX intake and plenum on the 4.0L long block and you're set.
Thats what I will do, I will also order the parts from you. Just need time to do all this now! Once I put new lifters and a cam in, shouldn't I replace the bearings and push rods just because? I do believe though that the cam bearings come unfinished meaning I must get the entire area polished?!?! Also, if I am rebuilding the top of the motor, why not just get the crank polished and do the main and big end bearings as well? Also doing a HG while the engine is apart.. Then in theory, it would be eliminating all the potential problems "valve train wise". Thoughts?
Also I appreciate your information!