Discovery I Talk about the Land Rover Discovery Series I within.

Wheel bearings

Search this Thread

Old 02-01-2011, 10:12 PM
TReK
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Alot of parts manufactures use the same numbers for ease of cross referencing, or to make it look like the same part. I don't know regarding the bearings, but I'd guess they will be fine.
As for my price for the SKF bearings...I get a pretty sweet discount at the local NAPA on some parts, and I haggle with them alot(they know I can and will order parts online).
Remember, a set of bearings includes the inner and outer race, cage and *****. That means you have to buy 2sets per wheel, 8 sets total for the vehicle. I bought 4sets to do the front axle at $6 per set($6X4).

Old 02-01-2011, 10:51 PM
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Timken is made from Timken steel, which is processed in Canton Ohio.

Did you bother to use some precision measuring device like a vernier caliper and ensure that the cheaper ones micced out the same as the TIMKEN?

I avoid any cheap made in China or similar products. Less quality generally speaking.
Rather pay for consistent materials and quality processes which I personally know Timken has in place in their plants.

Of course there are counterfit parts out there as well.

Last edited by Danny Lee 97 Disco; 02-03-2011 at 07:51 AM.
Old 02-01-2011, 11:02 PM
TReK

Alot of the quality has to do with the hardness of the steel(how much nickel content). I went to a Schucks(now oreilly) for some bearings. They said none in stock, had to order them, 3 days out. Well, my Spitfire needed the bearings the day before, so I went to NAPA. They had the bearings in stock for 50% more than Schucks. I asked the difference, they claimed they had superior quality 'made in USA' bearings. Not the cheap 'made in China' crap Schucks carried. I was going to argue(I hate NAPA) but decided I needed the bearings now and got them. When he handed me the bearings, I pointed out that the bearing was stamped with 'made in Spain' on it...he walked away from me.

Old 02-01-2011, 11:06 PM

I would prefer Spain over China. I did some Quality Consulting for guess who TimKen Steel and US Steel.

I would spend the extra bucks for the TimKen over Chinese anyday and everyday anyway.

Old 02-01-2011, 11:15 PM
TReK

Originally Posted by Danny Lee 97 Disco
I would prefer Spain over China. I did some Quality Consulting for guess who TimKen Steel and US Steel.

I would spend the extra bucks for the TimKen over Chinese anyday and everyday anyway.
Only problem with the story was I later ordered the same bearing from Schucks a month later for the other wheel, and it was the same manufacture and country of origin...I hate NAPA...and I'm sure they hate seeing me walk in their store too...sorry for the rant on NAPA. Just making a point that you can haggle in a parts store. You do NOT have to pay their asking price. They can go lower, and if you are persistent, many times will drop the price to get you out of the way.

But you are correct for the most part. Our steel is generally of much better quality. That is why it cost more and why more and more crap is made outside of the US. As long as the steel meets the minimum quality standards, alot of manufactures will use it. No matter where they have to go to lower their costs. It is always best to use a high quality, proven product over a lower priced, lower quality product.

Old 02-02-2011, 07:59 AM
Baja
Received 51 Likes on 44 Posts

FWIW, I've used, at various times, Timken, SKF, *** and National and have no qualms about using any of those 4.

Old 02-02-2011, 02:36 PM
Pro Wrench
Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

You can haggle in the Sates?
How? I would be to nervous and not know what to say.. especially if they are old farts..
How do I go about this "haggling"?

I've been out of the country and it's easier.. just say no and THEY drop the price. Or at the flea market where you pit the sellers against each other *cough*cough*..

Old 02-02-2011, 03:11 PM
TReK

Originally Posted by calebbo
You can haggle in the Sates?
How? I would be to nervous and not know what to say.. especially if they are old farts..
How do I go about this "haggling"?

I've been out of the country and it's easier.. just say no and THEY drop the price. Or at the flea market where you pit the sellers against each other *cough*cough*..
You haggle when you buy a used car or gun, why not for new stuff. My bro used to haggle in walmart and get 10% off his purchase all the time. Whe I worked in a parts store, I knew what the bottom line was for our merchandise. So if it looked like a customer was going to leave to buy the product elsewhere, I would often drop a 5% discount on a high dollar part to keep the business. Worked 90+% of the time.

Old 02-02-2011, 04:22 PM
Pro Wrench
Received 86 Likes on 73 Posts

After having working in auto parts stores for 17 years, I can attest to what Chris says.

Old 02-02-2011, 06:38 PM

Haggling techniques aside, I have found it is often better to do replacements of this type in axle sets as well. Most of the time,if one side is giving you a problem, the other side usually is not far behind. Especially since they are both probably the same age and have seen the same conditions as well. Don't replace them individually when they finally do wear completely out and fail. If you wait for failure to decide to fix it, you will usually incur more damage and more expensive repairs, especially if you are paying for individual RUSH orders.

Some people will disagree, to each his own.

Quick Reply: Wheel bearings