Discovery I Talk about the Land Rover Discovery Series I within.

Will not start when hot dies out of nowhere and plain old issues on a discovery 1

Search this Thread

Old 06-09-2018, 10:47 PM
4wd Low
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Will not start when hot dies out of nowhere and plain old issues on a discovery 1

I have a 98 Land Rover Discovery 1 gems engine 4.0 I've been on forms for months trying to diagnose my problem and I'm finally decide to make a thread if anybody is already fix this issue and can give me something I haven't tried please point me in the right direction cuz I've tried numerous things my car will start up fine when it's completely cold but even if I start it up and shut it off it won't turn on again for at least 10 minutes 15 minutes I replaced the crank position sensor the coolant temperature sensor all the spark plugs and wires have clean the idle air control valve have a fuel temperature sensor on the way replaced the coolant temperature sensor as I ordered the wrong sensor replaced thermostat upper and lower radiator hoses and am about to drive the thing off a cliff just to watch it burn if I can't get this figured out I love this truck I've owned it ten years and have done all maintenance myself now out of nowhere when I drive it and it chooses to be moody it dies or if I try to get gas and hop back in it says no you can wait a bit which is annoying at best it's at the point where whenever I drive it I plan on being wherever I'm at for at least an hour just to make sure that it will start back up when I come to get back in it and I've heard the good old crank position sensor pour water on it story see if it turns right back on and I can always get it to Turn back over I just can't seem to fix the problem and it's Weighing on me mentally and emotionally. Sorry for the rant I'm just fed up so I finally decided to post instead of read.

Old 06-10-2018, 05:22 PM
4wd Low

no help!

Old 06-10-2018, 05:24 PM
Super Moderator
Received 1,481 Likes on 1,209 Posts

is the fuel pump running what's the pressure look like

Old 06-10-2018, 06:58 PM
Camel Trophy
Received 399 Likes on 383 Posts

Fixed post so that others can comprehend what you posted without becoming cross eyed in the process. I can see why you didn't post.
Originally Posted by Sean Davison
I have a 98 Disco. I've been reading the forums for months trying to diagnose my problem. I finally decided to make a thread. If anyone has already fixed this issue and can give me some ideas please point me in the right direction. I've tried numerous things. My POS will start up fine when it's completely cold but even if I start it up and shut it off it won't turn on again for at least 10 minutes 15 minutes. I replaced the CPS, CTS, all spark plugs and wires, cleaned the idle air control valve, fuel temp sensor on the way. Also replaced the coolant temperature sensor as I ordered the wrong sensor. Replaced thermostat upper and lower radiator hoses and am about to drive the thing off a cliff just to watch it burn. I love this truck! I've owned it ten years and have done all maintenance myself, now out of nowhere when I drive it it chooses to be moody. It's at the point when I drive it I leave at least an hour early just to make sure that it will start back up when I come back. I've heard the good old crank position sensor pour water on it story see if it turns right back on. I can always get it to Turn back over but I just can't seem to fix the problem and it's Weighing on me mentally and emotionally. Sorry for the rant I'm just fed up so I finally decided to post instead of read.
There's some help. Try being a little more systematic with replacements. You have a connector or sensor that is overheating. If you've already replaced the coolant temp sensor for the ECU then that's one down. Did you check the wiring and connector to the Crank Position Sensor? The insulation is known to flake off exposing wires/overheating the connector and so on. Check it please. We'll go from there when you report back.

Old 06-10-2018, 07:02 PM
Mudding
Received 44 Likes on 42 Posts

Remove the crank position sensor and pull up the wiring, remove the plastic split tubing, and check the wires due to the heat from the exhaust it is so common that the insulation to the two wires that go to the sensor deteriorate and is brittle this will cause a short and the car will not run. Check the wiring if it is cracked you can splice in a two conductor replacement wire from the sensor up to the highest portion of the harness then wrap it up and reconnect. That should resolve the issue if that is the source of the problem.

Old 06-11-2018, 10:48 AM
TReK
Received 418 Likes on 350 Posts

I've heard the good old crank position sensor pour water on it story see if it turns right back on. I can always get it to Turn back over but I just can't seem to fix the problem
I don't understand this part. Does pouring water on the Crank sensor work or not?

Old 06-11-2018, 03:09 PM
Camel Trophy
Received 399 Likes on 383 Posts

It can but what a waste of time, I'd rather take care of it once and be done.

Old 06-12-2018, 09:28 AM
TReK
Received 418 Likes on 350 Posts

Originally Posted by ihscouts
It can but what a waste of time, I'd rather take care of it once and be done.

agreed. I don't understand if it worked for the OP or not. The language is confusing to me.

Old 06-12-2018, 09:43 AM
4wd Low

Originally Posted by ArmyRover
is the fuel pump running what's the pressure look like
32 psi at the rail

Old 06-12-2018, 09:45 AM
4wd Low

Originally Posted by ihscouts
Fixed post so that others can comprehend what you posted without becoming cross eyed in the process. I can see why you didn't post. There's some help. Try being a little more systematic with replacements. You have a connector or sensor that is overheating. If you've already replaced the coolant temp sensor for the ECU then that's one down. Did you check the wiring and connector to the Crank Position Sensor? The insulation is known to flake off exposing wires/overheating the connector and so on. Check it please. We'll go from there when you report back.
Thank you for cleaning up my punctuation. I was frustrated and using talk to text! But I did check all the wiring in the shield when I replaced the crank position sensor.

Quick Reply: Will not start when hot dies out of nowhere and plain old issues on a discovery 1