Discovery I Talk about the Land Rover Discovery Series I within.

Will not start when hot dies out of nowhere and plain old issues on a discovery 1

Search this Thread

Old 06-12-2018, 09:49 AM
4wd Low
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Icannap1
Remove the crank position sensor and pull up the wiring, remove the plastic split tubing, and check the wires due to the heat from the exhaust it is so common that the insulation to the two wires that go to the sensor deteriorate and is brittle this will cause a short and the car will not run. Check the wiring if it is cracked you can splice in a two conductor replacement wire from the sensor up to the highest portion of the harness then wrap it up and reconnect. That should resolve the issue if that is the source of the problem.
I just checked the wires near the connector, I will get back under there and pull that apart. Thank you!

Old 06-12-2018, 09:50 AM
4wd Low

Originally Posted by WaltNYC
I don't understand this part. Does pouring water on the Crank sensor work or not?
I've read on about six other threads, that if your car dies and you can pour water on the crank position sensor and it will turn right back on that nine times out of 10 it's the crank position sensor!

Old 06-12-2018, 09:54 AM
4wd Low

I'm going to check the wiring tomorrow to the crank position sensor, then I am going to pull the passenger kick panel and look at the relays again.

Old 06-14-2018, 08:29 PM
Camel Trophy
Received 399 Likes on 383 Posts

Originally Posted by Sean Davison
32 psi at the rail
34 - 37 is book. You is a wee low. You might want to check the pickup/suction screen on the pump and the canister on the frame rail.

Old 06-14-2018, 08:32 PM
Camel Trophy
Received 399 Likes on 383 Posts

Originally Posted by Sean Davison
I'm going to check the wiring tomorrow to the crank position sensor, then I am going to pull the passenger kick panel and look at the relays again.
More times than not it's the wires so be very thorough. Near the exhaust pipe is the prime area..... and oh so fun to get to.

Old 06-18-2018, 02:30 AM
4wd Low

Originally Posted by ihscouts
34 - 37 is book. You is a wee low. You might want to check the pickup/suction screen on the pump and the canister on the frame rail.
Thank you! I have yet to look it all over! Will definitely get on it tomorrow or Tuesday. I have been working on my 97 Town car as she gives me less trouble lol. I went to Pull-A-Part, and found a fuel pump relay, I didn't do it though. I found a cool carpet cover for the rear.

Old 06-18-2018, 02:32 AM
4wd Low

Originally Posted by ihscouts
More times than not it's the wires so be very thorough. Near the exhaust pipe is the prime area..... and oh so fun to get to.
​​​​​​I will have to go check this out, to be honest I am enjoying working on my Rover, it's different. Besides oil changes and basic stuff I haven't really got under her up till now.

Old 06-18-2018, 11:54 PM
5th Gear

My 98 acted like that when I bought it. 2 things that are ez. 1) like said check gas psi at fuel rail. if any discrepancy 2) in quiet place turn key so dash lights up and listen for whir from tank, no whir no pump. 98gas uses A/C Delco around 80usd, 15 for new plastic hoses between pickup strainer new, 5usd.Replace rubber ring and metal screws holding hatch, be real careful how wires route or you lose gauge intermittently, new filter in line on frame rail if issue is sustained pressure. Another clue, when warm I hear little clunk from foot area on passenger side that means, "Disco ready to start." When cold give it a few seconds before cranking. About 100usd and half a day.

Old 06-20-2018, 01:06 PM
4wd Low

Originally Posted by LstLk2
My 98 acted like that when I bought it. 2 things that are ez. 1) like said check gas psi at fuel rail. if any discrepancy 2) in quiet place turn key so dash lights up and listen for whir from tank, no whir no pump. 98gas uses A/C Delco around 80usd, 15 for new plastic hoses between pickup strainer new, 5usd.Replace rubber ring and metal screws holding hatch, be real careful how wires route or you lose gauge intermittently, new filter in line on frame rail if issue is sustained pressure. Another clue, when warm I hear little clunk from foot area on passenger side that means, "Disco ready to start." When cold give it a few seconds before cranking. About 100usd and half a day.
You definitely gave me the most thorough information I might need to pick your brain a little bit more of their LST but I got it check the wiring first today.

Old 06-22-2018, 02:51 PM
Mudding
Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts

When my 97 did that I had a cracked and nasty hose at the fuel regulator. On the drivers side at the back of the engine underneath the throttle and kickdown linkage is were you will find the regulator and small 5-6 inch hose I am talking about. Mine wouldn't start warm and if it did it was real rough. Do you smell fuel when its trying to start when its hot?

The following users liked this post:
Mo 3 (11-19-2019)

Quick Reply: Will not start when hot dies out of nowhere and plain old issues on a discovery 1