Discovery I Talk about the Land Rover Discovery Series I within.

Wiper problem...

Search this Thread

Old 02-06-2011, 08:57 PM
Super Moderator
Received 95 Likes on 90 Posts

Have you tried setting a different delay for the intermittent? Also, the ETM for the 96 shows a relay, but it appears the be the same one for intermittent and regular, so I wouldn't think it is that if they work fine on high or low.

Old 02-06-2011, 09:01 PM
Mudding
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Yea I tried, same thing on all settings, it starts to move at the right time on all settings, it just only moves part of the way each time. Where would that relay be?

Old 02-06-2011, 09:21 PM
Super Moderator

Front Wiper Relay (K185) behind RH footwell trim panel

I've attached the pic from the RAVE manual, but it's quite awful. I also don't always trust where it says things are

Attached Thumbnails Wiper problem...-rave.jpg  
Old 02-06-2011, 09:30 PM
Mudding

Now that relay would control the amount of time the motor gets power right? That's what the problem seams to be, timing of everything. Also makes sence that water could have gotten in there from the damn leak, and if that's the case the glass company covers the issue.

Old 02-06-2011, 09:38 PM
Super Moderator

I'd download the RAVE manual and look at the schematics. Some of the guys have links in their signatures. I don't want to lead you down the wrong path.... because I've never had this problem before.

Old 03-06-2011, 01:57 PM
Team Owner
Received 95 Likes on 72 Posts

Did you ever get this issue resolved?

Old 03-06-2011, 06:31 PM
Mudding

kind of, after i did my fuel pump it started working again, now i did take all the relays down there out and check for water, so it could have been something like that dried it out or the problem just corrected itself. i'm thinking i need a switch though cuz when i just pull it down it does nothing, only works when i twist it.

Old 03-06-2011, 09:31 PM
Super Moderator

Originally Posted by dansgt
kind of, after i did my fuel pump it started working again, now i did take all the relays down there out and check for water, so it could have been something like that dried it out or the problem just corrected itself. i'm thinking i need a switch though cuz when i just pull it down it does nothing, only works when i twist it.
My 03 does that when it's cold and raining outside. Usually if I hold it down long enough it eventually wipes. When it's warmer and just dewy out, it usually works fine. I was guessing switch too... but since it works mostly, I haven't messed with it yet. I've got other, cooler stuff I'd rather do to it.

Old 03-11-2011, 10:20 AM
Mudding
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Wiper motors usually have a thermal protection for overload... but it's slow acting so the contact of the ground strap cooks.
Wire a temporary ground wire from the motor body to the negative of the battery. If this fixes the problem, then open the motor and solder the ground strap around the rivet. If this doesn't fix the problem, then swap relays with good ones. I usually have half a dozen spares in the back from the JY. Open the relay casing and polish the contacts with the finest nail file you can steal from her make-up case, close it up and store in a ziplock for spare (don't forget to carry the spare in the car).

SD

Old 03-12-2011, 08:31 AM
Pro Wrench
Received 91 Likes on 82 Posts

dansgt....my wipers acted the exact same way....worked ok in "on" mode but very erratic in "intermittent" mode...it was as if when they were supposed to return to the "park " position they wouldnt do it , maybe even stop in the middle of the windshield.
Apparrently , inside the wiper motor there is a "park" switch feature which allows the wipers to stop at the bottom of the windshield during int use or when off, I had been told that you can remove the wiper motor and attempt to clean the switching inside it....however, before I got to it....they quit in the middle of the windshield and thats all she wrote.The fuse was blown and it blew another one instantly . I found a used wiper motor at a local junkyard and replaced it.....all works good now. Interestingly enough though, there was melted epoxy running out of the old motor when I took it out. Granted ...this MAY not be your problem, but it sure sounds familiar by your description. Let us know what you find.

Quick Reply: Wiper problem...