Discovery I Talk about the Land Rover Discovery Series I within.

Wiring issues and flames

Search this Thread

Old 01-24-2012, 10:54 AM
4th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Wiring issues and flames

In essence, I am seeking your advise (I had a scary incident yesterday). My question is: should I fix my 1999 LR discovery and keep it or once these electrical issues start going, it is but trouble?????.
In summary: my 1999 LR discovery 1 has been loosing battery power for months. Yesterday, I sense burn smells. Then, I lost some of my dashboard lights and my stop lights in the back stopped working. I played with it until I discovered that turning the high beam light triggered smoke under the dash of the front passenger side. I must have done it one too many times coz next thing I knew it was on flames (20/30 seconds until I put it out with windshield washer). Car starts but transmission is stuck on parking and will not move.
Thoughts? ideas? comments?
please reply with a cc: to felix.maldonado@hc-sc.gc.ca

Old 01-24-2012, 11:16 AM
Super Moderator
Received 95 Likes on 90 Posts

I just posted the part you need.

https://landroverforums.com/forum/di...as-item-46903/

I'm not sure where to get it though.

Old 01-24-2012, 12:53 PM
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

It has already created all the smoke needed.

First thing I would recommend you do is contact your Insurance Carrier. Basically your car caught on fire WHILE you were driving it.

Most likely it sustained considerable costly (retail) to fix damage. They basically if coverage is right will most likely consider it a total loss due to repair cost exceeding value of car.

Then make arrangements to keep the vehicle if possible. Accept the payoff. Contact me for final disposition.

Old 01-24-2012, 01:03 PM
Super Moderator

Originally Posted by Danny Lee 97 Disco
It has already created all the smoke needed.
I think the smoke is IN the wires from the factory. That jar is replacement smoke, for when some escapes you can put it back in.

Old 01-24-2012, 01:05 PM

Oh, but seriously now, his truck caught on fire man, don't be so cavalier. Or You Might Be A RedNeck In A Rover.

If his insurance does him right, I could gut that wiring and fix it fairly reasonably if it didn't burn too badly. He could have been up in flames.

Old 01-24-2012, 01:11 PM
Super Moderator

I worked for a shop, and we put a Chevy 350 in a Jaguar XJS. Less than 300 miles away, the engine compartment caught on fire. The insurance adjuster looked at it, and said that the fire started in the OEM wiring, not in anything our techs had worked on. They paid for everything.

Old 01-24-2012, 01:18 PM

That's what I am saying, they would most likely consider a complete loss and I would want the vehicle.

Old 01-24-2012, 01:20 PM

I love would to pick up an XJS and do the 350 in it. They had a PowerBlock Episode on yesterday with the Extereme 4X4 guy showing his custom built 4 seater buggy with the LS gen3 in it. Totally awesome and great MPG.

Old 01-24-2012, 07:53 PM
Team Owner
Received 95 Likes on 72 Posts

Dont touch it, call your insurance company, if they offer you money take it and run.

Old 01-24-2012, 08:15 PM
Super Moderator
Received 82 Likes on 79 Posts

The difficulty factor of repair of a burned wiring harness and devices is considerable, especially if you have large hands, can't fit under dash like a pretzel, are not comfortable with electrical work, are color blind, etc. The previous advice of making the insurance company deal with it is wise. You can use www.statewidelist.com to search your whole state for Rover, and put in a price range, and see what is available, output sorted by metro area. Indexes craigslist.

Quick Reply: Wiring issues and flames