Discovery I Talk about the Land Rover Discovery Series I within.

It works!!! Increased gas mileage!!

Search this Thread

Old 09-03-2014, 04:44 PM
Winching
Received 22 Likes on 15 Posts

Drove in the rain today and no problem.. was all dry in engine bay... I still may make a shield for it...

Old 09-04-2014, 06:45 AM
Pro Wrench
Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by dparham
Drove in the rain today and no problem.. was all dry in engine bay... I still may make a shield for it...

Hey OP here. Really is no worry about sucking up water unless the filter is underwater. Not enough vacuum to pull it into engine and even if it did.. You can run water through an engine. A lot of people do it thinking it cleans it. But the water will never make it through the filter unless its completely underwater. There is too much surface area and its easier to pull air through the filter than water so the air will just flow around it.

Old 09-04-2014, 07:48 AM
Winching

Originally Posted by Spencerfitch
Hey OP here. Really is no worry about sucking up water unless the filter is underwater. Not enough vacuum to pull it into engine and even if it did.. You can run water through an engine. A lot of people do it thinking it cleans it. But the water will never make it through the filter unless its completely underwater. There is too much surface area and its easier to pull air through the filter than water so the air will just flow around it.
Yeah i remember back with carbureted engines we would drop a couple drops water to cause it to backfire and blow carbon of the pistons lol of course that was with iron blocks . Now for new filter on my disco, the second i installed filter we got a typical Murphy's law south Florida summer rain and engine bay was totally dry everywhere close to that area... And i definatly get an improved driving feel! Now we will see what happens at the pump! Lol anyone plays with those turbonators? Im guessing they dont do much but i do t have many gimmicky things on my cars... Something is bound to work... If we all followed the gubment wed be driving wind sail paper mache streamlined boxes that held 1 naked person so not to offend the planet... Haha just because someone designed something doesnt mean real world tinkerers and inventive types dont improve upon it!

Old 09-04-2014, 06:15 PM
Rock Crawling
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I jumped on the bandwagon. Picked it up and installed the grayish filter in about 15 minutes. The increase in power for my D1 was pretty much immediate. I haven't noted any change in mpg. Let's hope my MAF can handle the change.
Fwiw, the filter I replaced was pretty old.

Old 09-04-2014, 07:48 PM
Winching

Originally Posted by bcbp
I jumped on the bandwagon. Picked it up and installed the grayish filter in about 15 minutes. The increase in power for my D1 was pretty much immediate. I haven't noted any change in mpg. Let's hope my MAF can handle the change.
Fwiw, the filter I replaced was pretty old.
hope it works! I'm enjoying mine so far

Old 09-04-2014, 08:06 PM
Mudding
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Alright, I think I'm gonna give this a shot tomorrow. Why? What the heck why not, and I can't stand not knowing for myself any longer. Couple questions tho - 1) how is this any different than putting a decent high flow filter element in the existing air box and making some huge holes in the box to open her up real good, and 2) for those of you who have done this with the Spectre, how are you securing it so that the filter isn't bouncing around all over the place and beating the crap out of the MAF ?

Old 09-04-2014, 08:13 PM
Winching

Originally Posted by ajnolin
Alright, I think I'm gonna give this a shot tomorrow. Why? What the heck why not, and I can't stand not knowing for myself any longer. Couple questions tho - 1) how is this any different than putting a decent high flow filter element in the existing air box and making some huge holes in the box to open her up real good, and 2) for those of you who have done this with the Spectre, how are you securing it so that the filter isn't bouncing around all over the place and beating the crap out of the MAF ?
mine is an 03 D2 so not sure about D1 but I bet you can just zip tie it to something.... mine bounces a little but almost nothing... only thing to me is that it takes a few minutes to install.. if you wan a pull out your factory air box and hack it up that will take time and hopefully even if it matters or not add some ram air... Im not sure discos are revenge enough to take advantage or not of ram air and I don't really care... lol however its easy to install and if u don't like it you can put your original bad back in... as for me... one were damaged all the way to the MAF so I had nothing to loose and it was allot cheaper than buying a new box and lid

Something people haven't thought about .... with this air filter there is enough room to add another battery for a dual battery system now

Old 09-04-2014, 09:48 PM
Rock Crawling
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Alright, I think I'm gonna give this a shot tomorrow. Why? What the heck why not, and I can't stand not knowing for myself any longer. Couple questions tho - 1) how is this any different types than putting a decent high flow filter element in the existing air box and making some huge holes in the box to open her up real good, and 2) for those of you who have done this with the Spectre, how are you securing it so that the filter isn't bouncing around all over the place and beating the crap out of the MAF ?
#1: Not sure maybe it is the exact same. For one thing, I can easily swap the old box back if this doesn't work out. It was a direct fit.

#2: I have some aluminum bubble wrap type insulation wedged beneath the filter for the time being. I'll make a tray of some sort if I'm satisfied with the filter. (yes it looks rigged)

I inserted the temp sensor into the gasket side of the filter then tightened the band with no ill side effects.

Coincidentally tomorrow I'm going for a lengthy drive, I'll report my mpg.
I feel I should I note, the increase power I reported isn't huge. It is definitely noticeable especially with both of my A/Cs going in this hot humid weather.

Last edited by bcbp; 09-04-2014 at 09:52 PM.
Old 09-05-2014, 08:28 AM
Rock Crawling
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I extended mine a bit by adding a rubber 3" coupler and some 3" pipe. I bolted a bracket to the brake box and secured it at the MAF/pipe connection. Holds it just a touch above the shock tower. Seems very secure. I still am going to tinker around with cutting up my air box to have a platform for the filter.

Along with running 100% gas it def is helping the mileage. I had a K&N filter in airbox before running 5% ethanol 91 octane and I can feel the bottom end torgue change.

Old 09-05-2014, 10:14 AM
Winching
Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

i'd get something like a donaldson filter+canister or a K&N apollo and run that through a snorkel. cone kits+offroad = no bueno.

Last edited by MM3846; 09-05-2014 at 10:16 AM.

Quick Reply: It works!!! Increased gas mileage!!