Discovery I Talk about the Land Rover Discovery Series I within.

Worth it to setup Disco 1 4x4?

Search this Thread

Old 05-19-2011, 03:02 PM
Mudding
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by DiscoIIBrandon
So your dog has already figured it out...what's taking you so long?

He's from Europe, and I'm a redneck?

Old 05-19-2011, 03:36 PM
TReK
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by nevada ben
He's from Europe, and I'm a redneck?
Got lots of them here.

Old 05-19-2011, 05:19 PM
Winching

Mine's 80 pounds too, 28" at the shoulders. He freakin loves the Disco. He hated the truck because he had to ride in the back (behind the driverside window) in an XL 500 series Skykennel with all the wind noise and no people in sight. Even if I got a cap, he'd still have to be in the crate, but with the Discovery I just need a dog guard. He's not going to tear it up, he's mellow. I just don't want him to go flying into people or a window in a crash. The rear compartment of the Discovery 1 is small enough he can't get a lot of inertia before he hits something as long as I can keep him from coming over the seats.

In fact, the rear compartment is about the same size as a 700 series crate which is what the airlines require for his size. It's also easier for him to jump up and down. My truck's tailgate is like 4 feet of the ground. He can jump it but why should he? He hates riding in it and when it's time to go just lays on the ground in protest. With the Disco, he jumps right in.
We have found the same thing with our Disco. My two previous trail rigs were a 3/4 ton Ford and a 1/2 ton Ford. The dog hated both, on top of the fact that she's a neurotic lab and already had a vehicle-phobia. Even when we had a hatchback she would drool and whine the whole way. She still needs a kennel to stay put in the Disco (since we don't have a dog guard yet), but she doesn't panic or drool or whine, just hops right up.

I admit, it wouldn't. But if I had an 8" lift and 37's it would. It would roll right over it. It would fail to articulate sufficiently to keep traction but the locker in the rear would still push me forward.

I admit the pickup truck doesn't do it with finesse. It's all about ground clearance, tire size and power. Even if 8" and 37's didn't make it, 9" and 42's would... or whatever.
Point taken, it would. Smallest "other" vehicle I've seen even try that spot was Tacoma, locked front and rear with 35s. On a full-sized wheelbase, 37s or 42s are roughly what would be required for the breakover angle. And that's not an obscure example, there are tons of trails like that around here. Have you actually priced out a proper 8 or 9" lift, and a set of 37 to 42" tires? Not to mention, tires are a wear item. I like that I can get top-of-the-line tires for less than $200 each, and el-cheapos for $100ish. Last I checked 37s and larger are easily double that, maybe ask AKdisco on that one.

I regret making a comparison that allowed people to make me out as a GM fan-boy. It's not the case. I just see that the sort of simple, brute force approach of strong axles, lockers, big tires, and lift solves a lot of problems in a very simple and relatively cheap way. Sophisticated articulation is comparatively costly, complex, and in the end you almost have to seek out particularly technical situations to prove it is better.

For me, buying a second vehicle, and significantly enhancing it's suspension and drivetrain was a costly way to obtain trail performance. I could have done 8" and 37's and had a lot of what I needed. I think the large sunk cost in my existing truck is what people mistook for GM fanaticism. So for me it's not just comparing a truck to a Land Rover, but a truck I already own to a Land Rover I have to go and buy and then spend a ton of additional money on.
WAIT! You already bought it. Right? So both are sunk costs. You toyin' with us?

PS, I spent over $5000 in parts (did my own labor) over the course of one year trying to make my old F150 go places it was never meant to go (differentials, oversized tires, uprated cooling system, suspension work, rims, custom brake lines, before I came to my senses and bought a purpose-built off-road vehicle. I wheeled the old Ford hard for a year (so in a sense I got my money's worth) then sold it for a major loss, which was to be expected. But after just two months of owning the Disco, I was sick of the Ford.

Don't get me wrong, I love a good pickup. I just didn't feel like dumping gobs more money into the Ford to make it my primary trail rig, when the Disco could already get farther on 32s and 2" of lift, plus had the sophistication to not make me feel like a redneck if I want to take the wife out for a nice date.

But yeah, it is 100% up to you. If you don't feel like driving a Land Rover we won't fault you for it. But if you want to save some wear and tear on your pickup by off-roading in something more suitable then by all means we can help answer your questions. Vehicle choices can be practically limitless, and only you can decide.

Depending on your finances (it's still not clear to me whether you are actually considering the economics of it, considering you want a 9" lift and 42s, which would certainly require drivetrain and other upgrades even on a big block) you may want to sell one and keep the other. Or sell the truck, put a few grand in a bank account, and buy a $1000 beater for the times you actually need a truck bed. That's what I did.

Last edited by Mountain Goat; 05-19-2011 at 05:31 PM.
Old 05-19-2011, 05:36 PM
Winching

I bought a late-model... ...crappy station wagon.

What do you think?
Just thought I'd quote it for the record. The Disco is in your hands, purchased, sunk cost. So let's go from there. You can always sell the truck after you're converted. You can always sell the Disco after wheeling it for a while, and if you aren't converted. It's all up to you.

Old 05-19-2011, 05:37 PM
Mudding
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Big tires = Big money and I've spent ALOT on Big tires. Price out a set of 42x15.50 TSL's LOL or better yet BOGGERS.

Old 05-19-2011, 05:39 PM
Winching

Originally Posted by AKdisco
Big tires = Big money and I've spent ALOT on Big tires. Price out a set of 42x15.50 TSL's LOL or better yet BOGGERS.
Buying tires for a Disco is refreshing then, isn't it? Expert witness right here.

Old 05-19-2011, 06:00 PM
Winching

42x1500 Pitbull Rockers are about $440 each, plus $100 each in freight. You'll need five, obviously, if you actually wheel, so start with $2700 in the tire budget. A little less if you're okay with 37s.

How mechanically inclined are you? Feel like setting up your differentials so your big block won't drive like a four banger? Tack on another $1000 to $1500 for parts and labor, more depending on your local market unless you have the tools and knowledge to do it yourself.

You'll of course need a lift, I can't price that without knowing your model year, but I'd assume for anything decent you'd be looking at $1500 to $3000 in parts, depending on how comprehensive the kit is. I'll give you the benefit of the doubt that you can install it yourself.

After the lift, you'll need longer driveshafts (at least $300 each), possibly even the CV joint type to work with your drastically increased pinion angles. Assume that at some point you'll break even a GM axle, so might as well get upgraded units to start with. Budget another $400 per set of halfshafts, just a ballpark.

I haven't begun to calculate all the skidplates and body armor that come into play if you go the "simpler" brute force way of doing things, but let's say a couple grand unless you own a welder and know how to use it.

All in all, it would be an impressive rig. You're looking at a total bill of $6600 to $8600 assuming the only thing you outsource is the diffs. Also that's not including all the odds and ends you'll think of after the fact - brake lines, access ladder, etc. You'll make it up most obstacles now, assuming you can drive the thing without tipping over. Not only that, you'll have to learn to live with 7 MPG or so. Does the Disco still seem like such a bad idea, as far as economics go? So maybe you'll have to detour around the mud holes or something, who cares?

(I know that diatribe wasn't 100% fair, it's illustrative only. No hard feelings intended. Ask AK if my prices are in the ballpark, my guess is they are actually a bit low if you want to build something right.)

Old 05-19-2011, 06:50 PM
Recovery Vehicle

I can say I probably have around $7-8000 under my truck with the lift, tires, lockers, axles, D90 brakes, steering setup, drive shafts, etc...... (the only thing still rover is the axle housings, motor, trans, an transfer case under it) Thats just to run 35"s. I will admit almost everything under it is all special built parts, seems like once you pass that 4-5" lift theres no "off the shelf" parts. Unless your handy at doing fab work things get expensive quik. Worst part is I'm about to do it all over again on the old ladys.

Old 05-19-2011, 07:39 PM
Winching

Still if we are talking sheer offroad capability, I think $8k "invested" in a Rover will get you a much more capable rig than $8k in a GMC. Instead of having to redesign the entire system, you are starting with a fairly long-travel solid axle setup. In fact, if we're really talking comparables, you'd probably need to factor in another two or three grand beyond the amount I quoted to do a solid axle swap.

Old 05-19-2011, 08:13 PM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 52 Likes on 43 Posts

I own both a '98 Disco and a short wheel base Chevy PU 4x4. They are different animals. I guess after reading your story, I would probably suggest getting a Tahoe or full-sized Blazer, or a short wheelbase PU. It is a slightly larger vehicle and has the build quality you like, more comfortable, better ergonomics, more power ..you name it. It's also shorter wheel base than your existing truck. It will be a little less robust than your K2500, but heavier duty than the Disco. I guess it depends on how heavy duty you need a rig to be too.

I don't know that I would say that the Disco is lower quality than the Chevy, I would say the technology is just older. Land Rover is a smaller company and didn't have the money to spend like GM does for engineering and construction. A 98 Disco has a lot of construction details like you might see on a late 80's vehicle. But that doesn't mean it's not a good trail rig. You see a lot of 80's Toyota trucks and 4Runners on the trails and there isn't anything high-tech about them. Jeeps too. Another vehicle you could consider for a build-up might be a Jeep Cherokee. Lots of off-road parts for them.

Mark G

Quick Reply: Worth it to setup Disco 1 4x4?