Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

"Fly Poop" on White Discos

Search this Thread

Old 10-23-2008, 03:32 PM
Winching
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default "Fly Poop" on White Discos

Okay guys...

I've never had a white vehicle before, and going into the Winter, I guess I'm not going to have to worry about this for too much longer... but unless Gore's right, I'm probably going to have to deal with flies again next Spring.

So here's my problem. I parked my Disco in the sun today, and flies landed all over it. (We are surrounded by cattle farms, and we have 4 horses on our property). I didn't think much of it until I noticed that each fly had "pooped" or something, all over the vehicle. Like... 8 to 10 black dots, all about .75mm in diameter.

I've seen these dots on our clothes dryer before, but never knew where they came from.

Anyway, is this a big problem with white vehicles? Is there a good solution for it? Can these dots hurt the pain if left on, or would rubbing them off with breath and a rag harm the paint more than leaving them on until it gets pressure washed next?

THANKS!

Pat

Old 10-23-2008, 03:42 PM
Administrator
Received 99 Likes on 81 Posts
Default RE: "Fly Poop" on White Discos

o, this is a problem with any car that hasn't been rubbed out and waxed real well so the poop won't stick.

Old 10-23-2008, 05:00 PM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

White vehicles are nice, but anything on them shows right away. Just wait till after winter, when you realise that your Disco is full of road grime and covered in rusted dots from the brake dust that rusted...Hewww! Your best friend will definitely be a clay bar.

Old 10-23-2008, 05:48 PM
TReK
Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

Im not sure how much damage "fly poop" would do but I would advise getting it off as soon as you can. Leaving anything like that on paint can cause issues down the road. Mud, wet leafs, eggs (it can happen), and anything that might be acidic can damage your paint. Like Darover said, go get a Mothers Clay bar kit (or something similar), you'll love it, the things work wonders.

Old 10-23-2008, 07:06 PM
Team Owner
Received 95 Likes on 72 Posts

I have never had a problem with anything on mine. I think that if you give it a good wax job that most anything will come right off, and remember, its just a car, it can be re-painted, with zebra stripes like mine will be.
I too had concerns about owning a white car, but they were "de-bunked" after a year. I dont think they show dirt anymore than any other car.

Old 10-23-2008, 07:57 PM
Recovery Vehicle

Doesn't mather Spike, when yours is dirty you drive around in floaded river banks anyway...right???

Old 10-23-2008, 08:03 PM
Team Owner

LOL, yes, yes I do. And just in case you missed it...
http://www.youtube.com/my_videos#

Old 10-23-2008, 08:15 PM
Recovery Vehicle

Ho!, I've seen it, Indiens in the mountains still sing aboriginal chants around the fire relating the legend of the disco boat with no fear

Old 10-23-2008, 08:19 PM
Team Owner

[sm=icon_cheers.gif]

Old 10-23-2008, 09:41 PM
Winching
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Phil- we live on a dirt road, and today, my wife saw the Disco from about 40 yards, and was like, "Wow, when did you wash it again?"

"I haven't washed it."

"Oh wow, it looks like you just waxed it!"

[get up to 5 yards]

"Ohhh, I see the dirt now".

So far, the Disco is holding up WAY better to dirt than the black Jeep.

The dealer REALLY waxed this one, and most of the fly poop did "run/drip" for about 1mm because of it, but it still stayed there.

Luckily, it washed off really easily.

Phil, you're absolutely right about the 'just a car' thing. I love the Disco, and I don't care WHAT breaks on it, but it all still boils down to just one of a million stamped pieces of metal (ultra refined aluminum) and hide (exquisite leather and suede).

Quick Reply: "Fly Poop" on White Discos