Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

"liquid" noise from under front passenger compartment

Search this Thread

Old 09-21-2007, 11:01 AM
ajh
Winching
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default RE: "liquid" noise from under front passenger compartment

The only real coolant requirement is that you use the same coolant type that is in currently or that you completely flush the system and drain the block before changing coolant type or you'll have issues. You should have an OAT type coolant in there but check the ring around the fill cap to be sure. If it's really low you might also want to check the coolant pH to see if you need a full system flush. Personally I switched to a Proplyne Glycol based coolant (Amsoil) because it's non-toxic, environmentally friendly, and when mixed 70/30 good for a very wide range of temperatures. (exact mix will depend on what kind of conditions you'll be driving in).

Old 12-07-2007, 10:39 PM
Three Wheeling
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

ORIGINAL: Granite Disco
Update: The service department at the used car dealer who sold us the truck did a pressure check of the cooling system and found no leaks, nor was there any sign of coolant in the oil or vice versa. They did replace the valve cover gaskets (at no charge to us, even though we purchased the truck as is - they seemed to agree that they should have caught that in the pre-purchase inspection).

So the good news is everything seems to check out fine cooling system wise and we have new valve cover gaskets at no charge. The bad news is we still can't figure out how we're losing so much coolant (I've now "topped off:" almost a liter of coolant/water mix in the past week, including about 1/4 liter after driving the truck home last night).
New update to an old post...

Ok, so my luck ran out tonight. I've been smelling the unmistakeable odor of coolant for the past few days but hadn't seen any evidence of a leak (despite checking under the hood twice a day): the resevoir was still topped off, no puddles. This morning the coolant resevoir was a little low so I topped it off. Then tonight when I pulled into my driveway and stopped the truck, steam started coming out from under the hood. The temp gauge was still in the normal range and there was plenty of coolant left in the resevoir, but there was a pinhole leak at the gasket shown in the pictures (ignore the second arrow in the second picture - that was a copy/paste error!)

Is this as simple a fix as replacing a gasket? How difficult is this job?

Thanks,
James

[IMG]local://upfiles/7469/08B27CA522434B15BE03259F5CBB53D6.jpg[/IMG]

[IMG]local://upfiles/7469/3943CE0996E24A0C93CF362207CF594E.jpg[/IMG]

Old 12-07-2007, 11:01 PM
Camel Trophy
Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Yup, your dealer has a kit to fix it.....Take the pic to them and they will know what you need. You can also take the 2 hoses off and using a piece of pipe, put them together. I think a few people have just done that, but I would suggest fixing it right..

Old 12-07-2007, 11:04 PM
Three Wheeling

ORIGINAL: okdiscoguy

Yup, your dealer has a kit to fix it.....Take the pic to them and they will know what you need. You can also take the 2 hoses off and using a piece of pipe, put them together. I think a few people have just done that, but I would suggest fixing it right..
As always, the response time on this site is truly amazing. Thanks very much! I'll head to my dealer tomorrow morning. Just out of curiosity, what does this part do? Is this heating the throttle?

Old 12-07-2007, 11:10 PM
Camel Trophy
Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

yeah. Not sure why, but I think it is to keep the air coming in a consistent temp so the computer doesn't have to compensate.

Old 12-08-2007, 06:25 AM
Three Wheeling

ORIGINAL: okdiscoguy

Any idea how easy/difficult this repair is? I'm comfortable with brake jobs, exhausts, suspensions, etc. - is this similar level of complexity? Any special tools needed?

Looks like it's time for me to get a shop manual

Old 12-08-2007, 06:54 AM
Administrator
Received 100 Likes on 82 Posts

The new repair kit is under $30 and is quite easy to replace.

Old 12-08-2007, 07:23 AM
Three Wheeling

Wow, inexpensive and easy - that's always a pleasant surprise. Thanks for info!

Old 12-09-2007, 12:40 PM
Three Wheeling

ORIGINAL: Disco Mike

The new repair kit is under $30 and is quite easy to replace.
Thanks again for the responses on this one - when I initially saw coolant streaming out from under the throttle, I had visions of paying for a tow and a head gasket or something along those lines.

Instead, I made a trip to the local Land Rover dealer, spent well under $30, and did the repair in about 30 minutes.

Hopefully this is a sign that I'll get along well with this truck

Old 01-21-2009, 05:57 AM
Three Wheeling

Is it typical for this part to have a short life? I replaced it last summer and the new part (which I purchased at a dealer) is starting to leak again, similar to the old one (although only a minor leak at this point). Just wondering if there's something that could be causing this part to fail so quickly.

Thanks!

Quick Reply: "liquid" noise from under front passenger compartment