Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

"M"-Mode and "S"-Mode Lights Blinking in Dash

Search this Thread

Old 10-30-2006, 01:45 PM
Drifting
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default "M"-Mode and "S"-Mode Lights Blinking in Dash

Here's another one for you guys,

What does it mean when the "Manual" Mode light and the "Sport" Mode lights blink. I turned off the car and restarted both were gone. Any ideas?

-Angas

Old 11-01-2006, 03:31 AM
1st Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: "M"-Mode and "S"-Mode Lights Blinking in Dash

My 02 TD5 has had this problem. With the lights flashing you'll find you only have 2nd gear and reverse - ie. "limp home" mode. Not good if you're 500km from home.

The problem started in January this year, with the lights blinking, I shut the engine off and restarted - problem gone. But it gradually started happening more frequently and needed numerous swith off/on cycles to clear. I have had it back to the workshop 4 times: first time they "cleaned the terminals", second time cleared an error in the CPU, third time $1,000 for new Park Neutral switch. This worked for about 10 days. Last time they reprogrammed the CPU and cleared the error codes. They suggest replacing the entire transmission wiring harness if it comes back again - another $900. Ouch!

My workshop says that with vehicles still under warranty they routinely replaced both the park-neutral switch and the tranmission wiring harness and this has fixed the problem 100% of the time.

Old 11-01-2006, 10:22 AM
Administrator
Received 99 Likes on 81 Posts

Angas,
Botom line, call a good Rover shop that you trust that works on trannys, tell them what is happening and have them check it before it gets out of hand. The flashing lights mean trouble, maybe not sever but something is starting to act up.
Mike

Old 11-01-2006, 02:03 PM
Drifting

Scheduled an appointment with the dealer and they said they would scan the codes for an issue with the Mode-light blink.

What I don't understand is, how do they find what the code was if the lights are no longer on in the dash? Does the computer in the car store this type of information after it occurs?

I like my Disco... but sounds like I'm getting myself in fairly deep in terms of service. This adds to the list to get checked out this week. I've owned the car now for about 4 weeks, and I've seen:

1) The 3 lights of death (ABS, TC, & Hill Descent) --> Which hopefully is fixed when the wheel speed sensor is replaced
2) A pretty bad water leak behind the passenger visor, which still leaks after the sunroof drains were cleaned --> Which a Contractor, The Leak Dr is checking that out
3) The "M-Mode" and "S-Mode" blink of lights --> Which has yet to be checked out. I hope to God it's not the Tranny, but that would be covered under warranty right?

Man... I hope they get my Disco working right, cause this is a major bummer. My 1999 Saab never had anything quite like this before.

Hangin on,
Angas

Old 11-01-2006, 06:54 PM
Administrator

If you want, send me a PM with your tele number and I'll be glad to walk you thru some of your concerns.
Mike

Old 11-05-2006, 09:55 PM
4wd Low

Another cause of the M&S flashing lights is that your starting battery is deterioriating bady and not holding the correct voltage.

If it's not that, then it's simply a bad earth, possibly due to corrosion of the connectors.

Old 11-29-2006, 01:27 PM
Drifting

After being told by one dealer the noise was normall over a month ago, I still didn't feel right about it. Just took the car to a different dealer and apparently the rear differential imploded. Service writer said the case had tiny dimples all over it. All I can say is wow.... how could you miss this one.

Old 11-29-2006, 05:16 PM
Administrator

ORIGINAL: angasreid

After being told by one dealer the noise was normall over a month ago, I still didn't feel right about it. Just took the car to a different dealer and apparently the rear differential imploded. Service writer said the case had tiny dimples all over it. All I can say is wow.... how could you miss this one.
There are plenty of used 3rd. members for sale at a good price, might want to consider that and save some money.
Check this web site, http://www.roverlandparts.com/index....TS&Category=30
Mike

Old 06-25-2007, 10:06 PM
3rd Gear

I have a 2003 Discovery with 41000 miles. it ran out of warranty in Feb 07 and now the transmission is shot. Is there anything I can do? Please help!! I bought the car used and have only put about 6000 miles on it. I was taken in to the land Rover Dealership to have the transmission checked in Nov. 06 with only 35500 on it and they said it checked out ok. And now it needs a whole new transmission because it has water in it, But if it is sealed how did this happen? Any help?

Old 11-11-2011, 12:32 PM
1st Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by tempestv8
Another cause of the M&S flashing lights is that your starting battery is deterioriating bady and not holding the correct voltage.

If it's not that, then it's simply a bad earth, possibly due to corrosion of the connectors.
I know this thread is ancient, but if someone comes across it while searching like I did, I thought I'd reply.

My 03 Disco did the same thing while I was driving, the gear indicator in the dash was blinking as well. I thought it had to be something with the transmission. I pulled over and it flat out died. Popped the hood and the negative battery connector was half way off the terminal. I had my tools with me so I tightened it up and was good to go.

The following users liked this post:
Jayk (12-20-2023)

Quick Reply: "M"-Mode and "S"-Mode Lights Blinking in Dash