Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

"M"-Mode and "S"-Mode Lights Blinking in Dash

Search this Thread

Old 11-11-2011, 06:18 PM
Winching
Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

Have the battery checked, I had the M&S flashing as well as the D flashing turned out my battery was bad. Cost me $120 for a new battery and the lights all stopped blinking.

The following users liked this post:
Jayk (12-20-2023)
Old 11-11-2011, 07:46 PM
Mudding
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

This happened to me twice so far (I owned the truck for 5 years now). First time was 2 years ago. I shut the truck off, restarted it and it was gone.
Second time was today. Same thing....shut the truck off, restart it and it was gone.
I did replace the battery last year and I know that the battery is good. I'll keep an eye on it for the next few weeks to see if it comes back on, but if anyone has any good ideas what to look for it would be very much appreciated.

This goes to Mike, Buzz and Spike!!!! Any ideas where to look if it happens again fellas????

Old 11-11-2011, 09:45 PM
Winching
Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

boris my battery only lasted a little over a year till all these lights began to flash again. I have also owned my Rover for 5 years and I had the same problem twice and both times the battery needed replaced. I learned on this site that the Discos are hell on a battery cause of the electric system, something is always using power even when the truck is off

Old 11-11-2011, 09:49 PM
Mudding

Originally Posted by aarongregor
boris my battery only lasted a little over a year till all these lights began to flash again. I have also owned my Rover for 5 years and I had the same problem twice and both times the battery needed replaced. I learned on this site that the Discos are hell on a battery cause of the electric system, something is always using power even when the truck is off
Thanks for the response. I will definitely keep my eyes out and see if this happens again. At least now I know what to do if it happens again.

Thanks!

Old 11-17-2011, 06:11 PM
Three Wheeling
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

It was cold as hell today and a co-worker and I got in the truck with heated seats, heat, windshield warmers on, and presto chango... M and S lights. (along with check engine) I let the truck warm up and restarted and M and S went away, but the check engine light remains.

I assume it was just too much draw on a cold battery and driving off too soon, but my question is, will the check engine light go out on it's own?

I need to have an inspection done, and if I reset the light they won't pass me (and won't pass me with the light on either)...

Old 11-17-2011, 07:50 PM
Mudding

Plug the scanner and see what code you got.

That's your best bet. Then see if you are going to just erase the code or if you are going to fix it at the source.

Old 11-23-2011, 08:25 AM
Drifting
Default battery causing this

I had the same problem with the blinking S and M mode lights. when i opened my hood the negative battery cable had popped off the terminal. I reattached the cable and problem solved.

The following users liked this post:
Jayk (12-20-2023)
Old 11-23-2011, 10:50 AM
Three Wheeling

Mine seems to be happening more frequently these days. never when driving, only when shifting from drive to reverse and vise-verse.

My Scanguage shows 13.8 to 14.4V and the only code I get is P0705. Easily remedied by restarting and clearing the codes, but I'm wondering if it's time to put in a fresh battery or just rebuild the XYZ switch....

Old 06-12-2012, 07:45 AM
1st Gear
Default M & S lights

Originally Posted by tempestv8
Another cause of the M&S flashing lights is that your starting battery is deterioriating bady and not holding the correct voltage.

If it's not that, then it's simply a bad earth, possibly due to corrosion of the connectors.
I'm having the exact same problem. My 99' DII has been sitting for a bit and the battery is shot. Each time I've "jump started" the battery, the vehicle has run very well with no smoke etc. But, the M and S lights are flashing. I can't remember the codes that were given but if the battery is the issue, then I'm hoping the new one will allow the codes M and S to clear. One problem will be down, dozen's more to address!

Old 06-14-2012, 10:38 AM
2nd Gear
Default M&S + D lights blinking

My questions is this:

I did an upper engine rebuild - heads up. Started it up and the M,S, and D lights are blinking with the Service Engine Soon light. Is this because I had the battery unhooked? Any insight on this would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

Brian

Quick Reply: "M"-Mode and "S"-Mode Lights Blinking in Dash