Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

"Ocean Wave-like" sounds, Gurgling & Sloshing

Search this Thread

Old 10-27-2005, 08:58 PM
Overlanding
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default "Ocean Wave-like" sounds, Gurgling & Sloshing

Greeting All,

Seeking your assistance. Recently I have heard "ocean wave-like" sounds when I drive my 1997 Disco Series One.

It initially occurs when I start-up my vehicle, in which I hear a "gurgling" sound, similar to a fluid attempting to being swallowed - ALMOST SIMULTANEOUSLY - the "wave-like" sounds begins ("sloshing sound") which is also clearly heard when driving at slower speeds and many times when I accelerate and place my foot on the break, (as if gravity is taking over, swishing the fluid around.)

I have attempted to pin-point the location of the sounds, but I am only able to say that the general area ranges from the radio to the front passenger side.

IN ADDITION…
I AM NOT sure if this is related, BUT I feel the need to mention that the front passenger floor seems wet (not soaked) but damp and moist.

NEED TO KNOW:
Prior to this, Land Rover has drained hoses numerous times supposedly clogged by condensation from the air condition - CLAIMING THAT THEY SOLVED THE PROBLEM.

LASTLY...
Could occasional problems with the radio, such as lights flickering, inoperative buttons and static be related to any of this?

Any suggestions? Thanks in advance for your assistance, and your wealth of knowledge.

Please post online for all, but also feel free to email me directly with any questions, comments, additional information.

Old 10-27-2005, 11:00 PM
Three Wheeling
Default RE: "Ocean Wave-like" sounds, Gurgling & Sloshing

I used to have a 97 Disco, and encountered the same sound after the 60k service which is a big one. It is certainly an odd sound in a car, isn't it? I took it back and they had to bleed some hose and the problem was corrected. It sounds like you've been down this road. My experience is that it really helps to get the service foreman to be there when the problem is encountered, especially with sounds. If it is reproducible, which I'm sure it is, say, "I want to be sure we're talking about the same thing." I wish I could be more specific, but all I know is that there was an air bubble in a hose that would slide around and cause the gurgle. Good luck.

Old 10-27-2005, 11:27 PM
TReK
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Your heater core maybe leaking.

Old 10-28-2005, 06:35 PM
Overlanding
Default UPDATE UPDATE UPDATE UPDATE - Please Advise

UPDATE UPDATE UPDATE UPDATE

At Land Rover's recommendation yesterday I filled up and topped off the anti-freeze reservoir, (under the impression that that would solve the problem) - however, I still heard the sloshing and gurgling. Not to mention that there was an overflow of antifreeze while I drove the vehicle.

I was then instructed to bring in my Discovery to the dealer. While on the ride over the temperature gauge began fluctuating from Midpoint to Hot throughout the drive (this is the 1st time this has occurred.)

During the shop inspection, Land Rover claimed that the Anti-Freeze Screw Cap was NOT under the correct pressure. Usually it should be under 13-14 (thirteen to fourteen) lbs - my cap tested at about 3 (three) lbs. Therefore, allowing the anti-freeze to heat up and spill out. Needless to say, they replaced the screw cap, but they didn't have a brand new one in stock, but wanted to get me back on the road, so for the time being they "loaned" me a "used" one assuring me it met the standard and has been tested working correctly (as they order a new one.)

In addition, while the Discover was in the shop's care today, the "check engine" light lit up and did not automatically shut off. They claim it was in relation to them draining and re-filling the anti-freeze. So they manually reset the check engine light. However, with further investigation by conducting a diagnosis for codes today, they found 3 codes related to piston misfires - which was an already known diagnosis dating back some 5 months ago in May 2005, when the check engine light also illuminated. Is this related to the current situation?

SIDE NOTE - While Land Rover recommended a valve job 5 months ago (May, 2005), many others had disagreed with their evaluation and recommended using Chevron Techron. Needless to say, I have been using Techron which seems to be working with no valve job?

Please note that since the May 2005 diagnosis, today (October, 2005) is the first time that the check engine light has illuminated, nearly five (5) months later.

Lastly, Land Rover advised that it would take some time for the anti-freeze to completely circulates through the system; possibly allowing the "air-bubble" (sloshing and gurgling) to "pop" (and having the excessive anti-freeze from the previous overflow burn off.)

BUT while driving the Land Rover back home today the check engine light has re-illuminated and does not shut off. I still hear the sounds loud and clear, the heat is still intermittently blowing hot air and the driver side floor is still fairly wet (which I know takes some time), but Land Rover seems the believe that the wet floor has nothing to do with the anti-freeze. Please advise?

Any suggestions/recommendations on what I should do? What my next step should be? It seems as if they did not properly service the vehicle and clearly did not complete the job, sending me home with a "non-working" vehicle. Please advise?

If you have any questions or seek additional information please contact me directly. Thanks again for your assistance!

Old 10-28-2005, 10:47 PM
Drifting

If you read your manual, it states how to properly fill the radiator fluid. Overfilling it can damage the radiator. I would suggest that you read it - you will prob find that you way overfilled it as you do not fill it to the top of the res. Second it sounds like once again, the worst mechanics are found at a stealership. Third, buy a code reader from autozone for like $85 and look the codes up online - the reader will also clear codes ( check engine). In this way, you can see and clear codes yourself. If it was me, I would drain the coolant myself and flush the system then fill it to the proper level and watch for leaks. Also check your heater core for leaks as that would be suspect with moisture that you indicated. I would steer clear of that dealership like they have the plague!!!! Did you check the simple things regarding misfire like ignition , wires and plugs? I mean check them yourself, not have the stealer do it?

Old 02-22-2006, 07:22 PM
8th Gear

Oh, the wet floor is not a good sign. Had this happen in mine years ago. I sort of ignored if for about 2 weeks then the hearter core burst, which was a HUGE mess. It pushed hot coolant out the air vents and down over the center console, not to mention the blast of hot steam in your face. I would change that heater core immediatly or bypass your heater hoses until you can change the core.

Old 02-23-2006, 09:46 PM
Drifting

I have exactly the same gurgling sound, I hear fluids moving around, it is very loud. But.. I dont have a ocean wave like sound, I have a moving sand type sound when flooring it.. Im just not going to bother, everything runs fine.

Old 09-09-2006, 09:16 PM
Drifting
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

My experience with this turned out to be the heater core. I had a slow leak for three or more years, every three months or so, I would need to top up the radiator. Never saw any leaks anyware. Then suddenly I filled it up and then heard the gurgling after about 400 miles. Another 100 miles later, steam came blasting out of the vents as the system overheated, followed by the over temp light.

To make matters worse I was on a highway in the middle of the desert at 115 degrees (Not kidding!) I was fortunate enough to be able to fill a canister with 5 gallons of water and complete the journey, filling up every 100 miles or so.

I took it to the dealer and they replaced the heater core. The heater core cost $185, with labor the bill ended up at $1400.

A key sign that the heater core is leaking is that you will get the gurguling sound and the pasenger floor will be wet. BE aware that the water will run under the floor mats and you won't notice it unless you look for it. Hence the three years of not figuring out where the leak was. As I live in Arizona, the leak dried very quickly when I parked the car, making it more difficult to spot.

The lesson here is that the leak began while the car was under warranty, all services were performed at the dealership and I had an extended warranty untill 100K miles. However the dealer never made the connection (which is more suprising as they are normally looking verywhere for a warranty repair opportunity!) By the time the core failed I was at 104K miles.

I am posting this to try to save someone a $1400 bill that could have been fixed under warranty if you had known about the leak. I believe this is fairly common on Discovery IIs.

Old 09-09-2006, 09:24 PM
4wd Low

Plus if you are losing coolant, it's probably leaking from the heater core unless it's leaking from somewhere else.

Old 09-12-2006, 09:22 PM
Overlanding

I had the same problem in my 1996 and it was because there is the AC drains have plugs on them so mud wont get in them but they get cloged up and water will leak into your passanger side. To fix this you have to look under the car for 2 little plugs that are located near the front doors.

Quick Reply: "Ocean Wave-like" sounds, Gurgling & Sloshing