Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

$1500 for two Discovery IIs

Search this Thread

Old 12-30-2017, 05:58 PM
2nd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default $1500 for two Discovery IIs

I found a local ad for a 01 SE7 with 152k for $1500. It needs a steering box and master brake cylinder and includes a parts vehicle. It sounds like a good deal to me, but am I actually getting into a world of hurt?

I'm looking for a new beater project and a LR sounds pretty cool.

Old 12-30-2017, 07:40 PM
Super Moderator
Received 1,589 Likes on 1,305 Posts

The price isn't bad as long as you go into it with eyes wide open and a tool box you should be ok.

Check it out completely for the usual issues with head gaskets and rust rust rust.

Old 12-30-2017, 08:21 PM
Rock Crawling
Received 53 Likes on 40 Posts

You should buy them and part them out. I have a wishlist already.

Old 12-31-2017, 11:42 AM
Mudding
Received 29 Likes on 24 Posts

Rovers make terrible "beaters". Get a Honda if you want a beater. You'll spend most of the winter working on it

Old 12-31-2017, 11:51 AM
Rock Crawling
Received 53 Likes on 40 Posts

Not sure if I read it correctly, if the OP wanted a beater, then LR would be the worst idea. If a LR project is desired, then perhaps there is a merit to spending $1,500.

To the OP: If you want to turn a used Rover in an average condition into an overland travel vehicle, it will cost you about $10K. You will pay for either a better car and fewer updates or a crap car with a ton of updates. Be prepared to replace the cooling system, the driveshafts, fans, and pumps just to get the car going. It is highly likely that you'll need to replace plenty of gaskets. That work applies to ANY Disco that has not had that level of service. I am not counting the flushes, the fluid changes, and other minor stuff. The steering box and the master brake cylinder is the least of your worries. Net-net: the amount of $ you spend will depend on how much you wrench yourself and where you get your parts.

Once you get the car running, it is time to get tires, suspension and probably some other stuff for overland travel. That several grand easy.

It is your choice, really. And if you want a beater, get a Honda or a Toyota. LR is a terrible terrible terrible beater that will end up beating you so much that you'll start sh**ting kittens within a year.

Old 01-01-2018, 03:37 PM
2nd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks for the feedback, everyone! For clarification, this will be a 3rd vehicle for us that we can use for winter storms and rough roads in somewhat rural Maine. $1500 gets me a tired Jeep Cherokee with rotten rocker panels, and these two vehicles are in great shape for their age.

I guess my real question is...Is a running parts car (no title) enough to keep a $1500 LR on the road for a reasonable amount of time?

Old 01-01-2018, 04:43 PM
Super Moderator
Received 2,297 Likes on 1,688 Posts

I've never had a LR beat me up in any shape or form. Easy to work on, and all of mine have given me a very very good track record for being reliable, and very safe.

Honda's are great until something breaks & it's not all that cheap (depending on the part). Toyota's aren't perfect and some of their car's like the Avalon had some serious sludge issues which killed plenty of engines/cars.

It's honestly all about how good of a LR you get your hands on. Not worth it if it's a rust bucket or the interior/exterior is trashed. However if it's clean and just needs some misc repairs to get back on the road I say go for it.

it helps if you are mechanically inclined (that's true with any make so you can avoid dealers or local $$$ shops). RAVE Manual will give you all the electrical diagrams, and tear down procedures, and trouble-shooting. My cheapest LR has been a 1500.00 99 D2 and it's been an amazing D2.