Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

S Jersey Garages servicing Land Rover Discovery IIs

Search this Thread

Old 09-14-2012, 03:46 PM
4wd High
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default S Jersey Garages servicing Land Rover Discovery IIs

Can anyone recommend garages in South Eastern New Jersey (Atlantic County preferably) that service Land Rovers?

Old 09-14-2012, 04:41 PM
Administrator
Received 99 Likes on 81 Posts

Do yourself a favor and if you are at all mechanical, let us guide you thru what needs to be done and save yourself a fortune.

Old 09-14-2012, 04:51 PM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I'm sure someone will chime in soon, but don't be scared to bring it to a standard garage. Disco II's are incredible old technology lol, in that I mean its also very field servicible, things are uncomplicated and easy to work on. Lots of room, simple designs. Outside of finding specific parts or computers, they are very strightforward to work on. Any mechanic, even if they've never even seen a Landrover before should be able to do the job without instructions. Second, download the Rave manual available everywhere on this website lol... it has step by step instructions that even a 13 year old could follow for most parts, plus full diagrams and simplified drawn pictures of the parts. If you can do it yourself or figure it out, or just don't feel like doing it lol, I always print out the section of the manual and give it to the mechanic as a reference. Any garage worth its salts going to have thier own software that does the same thing as rave basically such as Alldata. When looking for a good shop, my advice is to stay away from "tuner shops", lube places and to some degree, chains like Sears, Pepboys etc unless its for tire changes, pads or simple stuff like that. Find a small gas station repair place, look at the types of cars on the lot awaiting service. If you are looking for work on driveshafts, axles, suspension, look for the garages that have lots of jeeps, utility trucks etc. Have something like an exhuast leak? It's hit or miss with the chain shops but they are usually pretty good.

Second piece of advise, stop in and talk with the main mechanic, and look at the types of workers he has. It is a family shop, or bunch of college age looking techs, or 5 people in rags that don't speak english as a primary language haha. Don't drop it off, show him the problem and see what they guestimate what the problem is and what might be necessary to fix. Say you can't drop it off yet if its not an emergency repair, then hit the forums and google and see if it sounds like a resonable diagnosis. Then check for the probably prices for parts, do NOT EVER, repeat EVER get Land Rover Dealership parts unless theres no otehr choice. They are anywhere from 50-300% (literally) higher then what you can find online LR specilty sites in terms of cost, for the SAME part. Stay away from knockoff parts where possible such as Autozone/Advance... you get what you pay for, and especially with rover electricals (alternators, MAF's, sensors, switchs for example) they only like LR parts.

On that note, whatcha lookin to do in the first place?

Old 09-14-2012, 06:02 PM
Rock Crawling
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Wow - that is very thorough advice from grandkodiak.
Don't be afraid to post your concern on this forum, though, as Mike suggested. This board and the people on it have saved me at least a couple thousand dollars. At least now, if I decide to take her to a shop, I am well versed in the ways of the DII.

-Anthony

Old 09-14-2012, 06:47 PM
Rock Crawling
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Hey Smith, I live in Galloway I could give you a hand if need be.

The following users liked this post:
ALIENATED (12-09-2015)
Old 09-14-2012, 07:36 PM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 74 Likes on 61 Posts

I service Land Rovers from all up and down the shore. I have customers from Cape May, Atlantic City, Paramus, Jersey City and NYC. They seem to think It's worth the trip. Gimmie a call.

The following users liked this post:
ALIENATED (12-09-2015)
Old 06-19-2015, 02:47 PM
3rd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by RoverMasterTech
I service Land Rovers from all up and down the shore. I have customers from Cape May, Atlantic City, Paramus, Jersey City and NYC. They seem to think It's worth the trip. Gimmie a call.
Hey there, I own a 98 discovery lse. It runs, though there are some problems with it. Would you be interested in giving it a once-over?