Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

$5200 for coolant leak repair?

Search this Thread

Old 11-23-2009, 03:56 PM
Drifting
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default $5200 for coolant leak repair?

Dealership says majority of coolant leaking from intake manifold, then head gaskets are seeping, so also wants to replace timing cover, throttle body heater gasket, water pump and recondition exhaust valves. Mind you this is an 02 Disco with only 60k miles. I really cant afford this and im in process of getting quotes from shops. Would it be possible for me to do? Im in no rush for the vehicle, follow directions well, but I dont have much experience except changing the oil. If anyone could advise me of what parts i need or anyother helpful info I would appreciate it.

Old 11-23-2009, 05:01 PM
Team Owner
Received 95 Likes on 72 Posts

http://www.roverparts.com/Parts/STC4082BK.cfm
http://www.roverparts.com/Parts/ERR2943.cfm (x16)
http://www.roverparts.com/Parts/MGM000010KG.cfm
http://www.roverparts.com/Parts/STC4378OE.cfm
There are your parts.

Yes you can do it yourself, it is a all weekend job and you will need some tools, you can rent what you dont have, like a big torque wrench.
You will need good impact sockets, standard sockets wont cut it.
A indie shop will quote you around $1500 for head gaskets.
DO NOT touch the exhaust valves, at the very most you may need the heads planed, but that is a very big maybe.

Old 11-23-2009, 05:30 PM
Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts

$5200 will get you a whole new engine...

I'm with spike. DIY. the parts prices speak volumes.

Old 11-23-2009, 06:06 PM
Administrator
Received 103 Likes on 85 Posts

I hope you didn't buy into their crap, that is so riduclas.
Go find another shop, where the going rate for head gaskets is around $1550 plus any head work, and at your mileage, other then resurfacing the heads that should be all that is neededalong with a new t/stat and 8 mm plug wires.

Old 11-23-2009, 06:55 PM
Drifting

Originally Posted by Disco Mike
I hope you didn't buy into their crap, that is so riduclas.
Go find another shop, where the going rate for head gaskets is around $1550 plus any head work, and at your mileage, other then resurfacing the heads that should be all that is neededalong with a new t/stat and 8 mm plug wires.
Would the $1550 include parts or is that just labor? He mentioned most of the leeking coming from the intake.. does that need to be replaced also? As far as attempting this job myself... what would I need besides the parts and the special tools listed above? I dont have access to a lift or anything to lift the engine if thats what is required. As far as directions.. I have the rave cd, would there be anything else I need as a walkthrough.

Old 11-23-2009, 08:49 PM
Team Owner
Received 95 Likes on 72 Posts

That $1500 is out the door.
All you need is the parts and thats it. The heaviest thing you will be lifting is the heads.
Read the detailed parts list on the gasket kit, it has all the gaskets you will need, including the intake.
I would not replace the water pump unless there is a problem with it.
Drain the coolant, remove the hood (makes it easier) remove the intake, then the heads.
Just make sure you take notes and take your time to make sure everything goes back in the exact same place it came from.

Old 11-23-2009, 09:09 PM
TReK
Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

If you have not done much engine work but are mechanically inclined and can read well you can do it. You need a decent set of tools though including torque wrenches, metric socket set, and all manners of socket extensions and wobble extensions. It will take you at least 3 days if this is a first time thing. Costs will run you about $500 - $600 including parts, fluids and machinist costs.

Old 11-23-2009, 11:12 PM
8th Gear

I am in the same boat. I am doing mine myself, should not be too hard, just allocating myself plenty of time and Coor's lights (haha). I ordered all of the stuff I will need from Atlantic British today for 480.00 Including express shipping to be here by Wednesday for my long weekend. If you have a digital camera just start snapping pic's while you take each piece apart, then you can scroll back through and do everything in the same order.

Just a heads up, the 159.00 Bosch gasket kit already has the throttle body plate in it.

Good luck !

RT

Old 11-24-2009, 02:02 AM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts

I have not tackled this large of a project on my D2, but I would second the recommendation for a digital camera to take pictures as you take it a part in assisting in putting it back together. My dad use to use an old Polaroid instant camera to do the same thing on his car projects.

Old 11-24-2009, 04:40 AM
TReK
Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

I used masking tape to label ends of hoses, wires, connectors (where they went to). I put all the screws in little bags with what part they went to written on it. I also put tape on and labeled all the parts. Also keep track of your pushrods and note their orientation.

Quick Reply: $5200 for coolant leak repair?