Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

**URGENT** Need help with current radiator replacement

Search this Thread

Old 08-05-2014, 03:42 PM
acg
Pro Wrench
Received 276 Likes on 210 Posts
Default **URGENT** Need help with current radiator replacement

I am right in the process today of changing my radiator.

I am doing this outside my garage as my garage is too packed with other stuff to fit in the Disco. Clouds are starting to accumulate. I am trying to get the job done today before the rain comes.

I am hung up in trying to remove the oil cooler lines as shown in the pic. RAVE says to "push" against the coupling. I tried every way to turn, push, pull..... but no luck. Any ideas?

HELP PLEASE??? THANKS IN ADVANCE!!!

Attached Thumbnails **URGENT** Need help with current radiator replacement-img-20140805-00323.jpg  
Old 08-05-2014, 03:47 PM
acg
Pro Wrench

P/S.

Another question.... what is the purpose of this connector/wiring at the top of the radiator on the passenger side (see circled in the pic). I see no mention of it in the RAVE.

Attached Thumbnails **URGENT** Need help with current radiator replacement-img-20140805-00320.jpg  

Last edited by acg; 08-05-2014 at 05:17 PM.
Old 08-05-2014, 04:04 PM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts

I believe you push the hose in toward the cooler, then pull that blue collar toward the firewall, then pull the hose out.

Be careful you get the lines reinstalled all the way. You wouldn't be the first to have that hose blow off on the highway and get oil everywhere.

Last edited by Jared9220; 08-05-2014 at 04:06 PM.
Old 08-05-2014, 05:13 PM
acg
Pro Wrench

Thanks for the tips!

I ended up not messing with the removal of the oil cooler lines. I unbolted the oil cooler from the radiator. I enlisted my wife's help to raise the radiator from its perch and jiggled the oil cooler assembly out of the radiator. It did take much jiggling at different angles coupled to finally get the oil cooler out.

Now... for the next challenge, trying to mount the oil cooler into the new radiator assembly.

Please pray for me

Old 08-05-2014, 05:17 PM
acg
Pro Wrench

Originally Posted by acg
P/S.

Another question.... what is the purpose of this connector/wiring at the top of the radiator on the passenger side (see circled in the pic). I see no mention of it in the RAVE.

Now that I am able to de-couple the oil cooler from the radiator.... I noticed this connector has a wire going to the bottom of the oil cooler. It be must connected to a temp sensor for monitoring trans oil temp.

Last edited by acg; 08-05-2014 at 10:33 PM.
Old 08-05-2014, 05:30 PM
Recovery Vehicle

Originally Posted by acg
Now that I am unable to de-couple the oil cooler from the radiator.... I noticed this connector has a wire going to the bottom of the oil cooler. It be must connected to a temp sensor for monitoring trans oil temp.
Here it is in the RAVE: Pages from wmlt016n.pdf

Old 08-05-2014, 07:23 PM
TReK
Received 86 Likes on 59 Posts

Interesting thread. To the OP: While doing the radiator replacement, have you also replaced the cooling hoses and the thermostat?

Please keep us posted on the job, because Im going to be replacing my radiator and hoses very soon. The more pictures the better. Thanks and good luck.

PS: Excuse my lack of tech knowledge but I always thought the oil cooler was some added cooling component for engine oil..... did not know it was for the transmission.

Old 08-05-2014, 08:09 PM
Recovery Vehicle

Originally Posted by TRIARII
Interesting thread. To the OP: While doing the radiator replacement, have you also replaced the cooling hoses and the thermostat?

Please keep us posted on the job, because Im going to be replacing my radiator and hoses very soon. The more pictures the better. Thanks and good luck.

PS: Excuse my lack of tech knowledge but I always thought the oil cooler was some added cooling component for engine oil..... did not know it was for the transmission.
There are 2 coolers on my D2, One for the Trans and one for the engine

Old 08-05-2014, 08:10 PM
TReK
Received 86 Likes on 59 Posts

Originally Posted by Jared9220
There are 2 coolers on my D2, One for the Trans and one for the engine

I think early D2's had both while the late model D2's only have the trans cooler.

Old 08-05-2014, 08:44 PM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 29 Likes on 27 Posts

When you reinstall the radiator with the coolers still hooked upto the lines. You need to walk the coolers up. what I mean by walk, is move them side to side while lifting them up (one at a time) so the pipes/hoses can clear the brackets on the radiator.

I am in the middle of doing heads, cam, lifters, oil pump, water pump and timing gears and chain. I just put my radiator back in this past weekend.

Quick Reply: **URGENT** Need help with current radiator replacement