Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

**URGENT STUCK IN ALASKA** CDL Issue

Search this Thread

Old 08-17-2019, 08:06 PM
acg
Pro Wrench
Received 284 Likes on 217 Posts
Default **URGENT STUCK IN ALASKA** CDL Issue

Hi, I am on my way to Tuk Arctic Ocean, but stuck in Skagway, AK. CDL Lever stuck in Lo (only back and forth left right between Lo CDL and Lo non-CDL). Will not pop back to high.

Tried Option 1: tried to reverse, then neutral, then try to shift CDL to Hi. CDL lever won’t shift from Lo to Hi. not successful.

Tried option 2: went to 1st gear, go to crawl, shift to Neutral, then tried to shift CDL to from Lo to Hi. Still can’t shift to Hi.

I can only go back and forth left right between Lo CDL and Lo non-CDL). I have the 2004 CDL cable linkage version. Wondering if I need to tear into my console to take a look at the cable?

Remote location in Skagway, AK. No repair shop. Will need to get tow truck from Whitehorse, Yukon (Canada) which is 3 hours away.

Any help/thoughts much appreciated. Thx!

Old 08-17-2019, 08:13 PM
acg
Pro Wrench

P/S. The transfer case is new. Ashcroft unit Installed 6 months ago by a local LR independent repair shop.

Old 08-17-2019, 08:30 PM
Camel Trophy
Received 1,507 Likes on 1,068 Posts

How long has it been in low? Cable could be stuck. You might want to disconnect the cable at the transfer case and see if you move anything - shifter or transfer case lever.

3 hour tow? In that time you can remove front driveshaft, remove the front half of the transfer case to repair whatever is stuck. Before it gets to that, remove the console and the access panel - there are 6 bolts that hold the shift fork in the top of the transfer case. Remove that and you should be able to see what it is going on. The access panel can be removed just by prying it away from the tunnel, the rivets will pull through. You can put it back in with large sheet metal screws or some bolts and nuts.

You should look at the exploded views carefully if you are unsure of what you are doing. Feel free to PM me if you need additional assistance, I can provide my phone #

Old 08-17-2019, 08:37 PM
acg
Pro Wrench

Thanks for the quick posts. We will set up camp tonight. Then check on the ideas from your posts.

Old 08-17-2019, 08:48 PM
Super Moderator
Received 2,297 Likes on 1,688 Posts

Interlock solenoid on the 03-04 Linkage will prevent it from shifting 4Hi/N/4Lo or 4Lo/N/4Hi, on that model you can use a long rod & push the interlock solenoid back while someone shifts it from Lo & back into Hi. It’s not easy but it can be done.

Old 08-17-2019, 09:57 PM
Rock Crawling
Received 114 Likes on 84 Posts

At least it's summer! Anchorage born fella here!

Sounds like you got a few things to try at least.

Old 08-18-2019, 12:28 AM
Camel Trophy
Received 1,178 Likes on 815 Posts

Man Andrew that sucks, one other thing you can try. Get under there passenger side and look up you should be able to see the cable and linkages you can try a bit of spray oil on that area it might help.

Old 08-18-2019, 12:30 AM
Received 394 Likes on 306 Posts

Get under truck
put hand up there and manually pull it back to high
than leave it on high

The following users liked this post:
Richard Gallant (08-18-2019)
Old 08-18-2019, 01:54 AM
acg
Pro Wrench

Originally Posted by Best4x4
Interlock solenoid on the 03-04 Linkage will prevent it from shifting 4Hi/N/4Lo or 4Lo/N/4Hi, on that model you can use a long rod & push the interlock solenoid back while someone shifts it from Lo & back into Hi. It’s not easy but it can be done.
Best

Can you help me to understand how the interlock solenoid is prevent the CDL from shifting please?

The transmission itself will shift, but just not the CDL lever from lo to high.

Having limited access sucks right now,

Thx

Old 08-18-2019, 03:15 AM
Camel Trophy
Received 1,278 Likes on 897 Posts

Yeah, if that lock out solenoid is acting up and you can't get it to release. If the transfer case was just put in, you'd think the cable would disconnect easily at transfer case. Just remove front drive shaft, so you can get your hand up in there more easily and remove cable end clip...and move it manually.

Good luck, and l hope something works for you.

Brian.

Quick Reply: **URGENT STUCK IN ALASKA** CDL Issue