Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

*help needed* rover won't start tried everything I could think of. More details below

Search this Thread

Old 06-05-2021, 12:41 PM
3rd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default *help needed* rover won't start tried everything I could think of. More details below

Hello evedy! I posted this earlier but think It got deleted i need help with my 99 disco 2. It's been giving me trouble starting, took a few tries before the engine would fully turn over. Replaced the starter and was still having the issues so I took my alternator to get tested and everything checked out. I kept driving it a couple days sometimes it would start no problem sometimes it would take a couple tries. Then a couple days ago I was at work and tried to start it, turned over but wouldn't start. When I turned the key back there was a loud buzz under the hood. Tried to start it again and this time It wouldn't even crank at all. All the dash lights and radio still work. Took the key out and the buzzing continued. I felt the alternator and that's definitely what's buzzing. I had to disconnect the battery to get it to stop. The only think I can think of it could be is a short somewhere but I wouldn't know how to find where. If anybody can help point me in the right direction that would rock thanks guys and gals!

*Update* come to find out it is the starter making the buzzing sound. I just replaced it a couple weeks ago and now it's buzzing even when the battery is connected. I'll replace the starter again tomorrow and see what happens. Any idea why it's buzzing even without key in ignition?

​​​​​​

Last edited by Calebjcrowder; 06-07-2021 at 09:59 PM. Reason: Update
Old 06-05-2021, 02:31 PM
Pro Wrench
Received 1,253 Likes on 672 Posts

Could always be a dead battery. Or dying battery. When mine was dying my air suspension compressor made a loud noise randomly (which at the time made no sense but ... it happened).

But also - Def check your positive and negative battery cables. Not just the battery connections, but the entire cables. Careful poking around with metal tools down by the starter on the positive cable, you can cause a spark/shock. (disconnect negative first)

Old 06-05-2021, 06:57 PM
Received 394 Likes on 306 Posts

Yup happen to me. Clean and check your battery terminals