Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

*urgent* Won't shift into gears, stuck in flood-prone parking lot before hurricane!

Search this Thread

Old 10-28-2012, 08:13 AM
Winching
Received 41 Likes on 38 Posts
Default *urgent* Won't shift into gears, stuck in flood-prone parking lot before hurricane!

Hey everyone - so my DII was totaled a while ago but most damage was cosmetic on front, engine was okay.

I just spent a while redoing the cooling system yesterday in preparation to get her out of the parking lot behind my shop which floods ~2' in a bad storm, so we're expecting double that by tomorrow!!

After hooking everything up and putting the electrical back together up front, bleeding cooling system, etc.. (she fired right up after 5 months!) I went to shift into reverse and no RPM drop, just this "whirring" noise. I put it back into park and hear a clattering noise (not severe but it's like gears trying to engage but couldn't.)

What am I missing here?! I did have to replace the transmission and oil coolers along with radiator, but I don't THINK more than a half quart drained out of the trans cooler - it shouldn't be low on fluid, or at least enough to not even shift.

What components would cause this? It's a mechanical selector right? So it shouldn't be a computer problem? The battery was disconnected for months.

It hasn't actually been put in gear since the collision.. which wasn't enough for air bags to go off or anything - but is it still possible something damaged the trans internally?

I'm running over to my house to gram some trans fluid and attempt to refill but I can't say I'm optimistic.

Old 10-28-2012, 09:06 AM
Super Moderator
Received 95 Likes on 90 Posts

Is the transfer case in neautral? Do you have both drive shafts installed?

Old 10-28-2012, 09:24 AM
Administrator
Received 99 Likes on 81 Posts

Sounds like 2 issues.
Do your brake lights work, if not, you have a bad brake light switch.
As for the clatter, sounds like your t/case is not all the way into high.

Old 10-28-2012, 09:28 AM
Team Owner
Received 95 Likes on 72 Posts

T-case not in gear just like these guys said.
The noise you heard when you put it in park was the parking prawl trying to stop the moving transmission gears.
Had the t-case been in gear the brakes/rest of the driveline weight/resistance wold have stopped the trans from turning and it would have gone into park normally.

Old 10-28-2012, 09:33 AM
Winching
Received 41 Likes on 38 Posts

GRRR

Just went under the truck to break loose the fill plug before starting it to top off trans fluid aaaaand.

My front driveshaft is missing!!!!!!

I was already pissed off enough yesterday when putting the belt system back together I noticed "my" alternator was disconnected and just sitting there. Well when I started my car to bleed the cooling system the stupid battery light stayed on, someone stole my alternator also!

I wonder what the hell else is missing. People suck.

ANYWAYS I went under and locked the transfer case so I can use my rear driveshaft. Might that solve the problem?

Old 10-28-2012, 09:40 AM
Team Owner
Received 95 Likes on 72 Posts

Yes locking the t-case will let you drive the truck to a same location.
Where is your shop located? In a bad area it sounds like?

Old 10-28-2012, 10:07 AM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 26 Likes on 15 Posts

Someone removed your drive shaft? wtf..

Old 10-28-2012, 10:11 AM
TReK
Received 44 Likes on 37 Posts

Engage the CDL on the transfer case.
Drive to safety using the rear drive shaft.

You had better have a gas generator handy and some water and food.

Old 10-28-2012, 10:30 AM
Banned
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Dang, sounds like you got jacked. Sorry to hear about that like the guys said engage cdl get it out of harms way. Hope your day gets better!!!

Old 10-28-2012, 10:35 AM
Administrator
Received 99 Likes on 81 Posts

Just for what it is worth, never check the tranny fluid level or top it off without the engine running.
So where did your drive shaft go?????

Quick Reply: *urgent* Won't shift into gears, stuck in flood-prone parking lot before hurricane!