Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

00 Headlight Conversion

Search this Thread

Old 10-22-2013, 02:45 PM
Mudding
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Default 00 Headlight Conversion

I know this topic has been covered in the past however not too much specific info was given on any other threads. I know some modifications are needed in order to mount 03 headlights on to a 00. Is it possible to use the single connector from the 03 and modify it to the existing harness from the 00? I know the HID lights will be needed but is there any way to get a ballast kit and retro fit it the the connector from the 03?

Old 10-22-2013, 02:49 PM
Camel Trophy
Received 102 Likes on 89 Posts

Well a couple things.

I have given out relatively specific info in a few threads, but you are more than welcome to email me at Zack@Roversnorth.com and I can assist you with the process.

also

No, you will not need and should not use the HID kits, the reflectors are designed specifically for halogen bulbs and do not work perfectly with HID setups.

Yes you can use the connector from the 03-04 with 12" or so of wiring from the harness that plugs into the headlight.

Old 10-22-2013, 03:27 PM
Mudding

Great, thanks!

Old 10-22-2013, 03:43 PM
Winching
Received 43 Likes on 39 Posts

You must have one of those plastic headlight restoration kits you want to try out. The glass on my '98 is still crystal clear. The plastic on my '06 is already hazing, and the older plastic ones all need sanding and polishing.

Old 10-23-2013, 11:26 PM
Mudding

Where can i pick up the relays for the wiring set up.

Old 10-24-2013, 02:19 PM
Mudding

I was able to find this wiring schematic for the headlight. My question is, do we have to add the relay and diode? If so, which type of relay and diode and where can i purchase them from.

Attached Thumbnails 00 Headlight Conversion-disco1faceliftwiring.jpg  
Old 10-24-2013, 03:05 PM
Super Moderator
Received 210 Likes on 194 Posts

I bought relay at orielly on electrical isle
Also found a very helpful landyzone write up

Old 10-24-2013, 03:15 PM
Camel Trophy

Originally Posted by eitydeuce
I was able to find this wiring schematic for the headlight. My question is, do we have to add the relay and diode? If so, which type of relay and diode and where can i purchase them from.
Who do you think uploaded that?

That's a D1 wiring facelift. I can give you a SUPER simple color coded excel file if you want for the conversion.

Old 10-24-2013, 11:56 PM
Mudding

Lol, didn't realize you posted that pic. Really helpfull though, yeah if you dont mind shoot me over that file. Also, what's the reason for the diode?

Old 10-25-2013, 08:18 AM
Camel Trophy

"Here is a decode of the wiring official diagrams.
You will see on the wires a code such as RO1.5 - this means a red wire with an orange trace that has 1.5 square millimeter wire (this is about the same as american 16AWG wire).
The codes on the headlight wires are :-
UO = blue with orange trace.
UB = blue with black trace
RO= red with orange trace
UK = blue with pink trace
US = blue with slate trace
UR = blue with red trace

I am a little confused by your xl sheet colours- are the colours on the right the old headlight wire colours (do not match those in the manual) or the wires inside the new headlight?. I think you should carefully clean the wires and check colours. The colours havve not changed for a long time and are the same on the RR classic , MG, Rover cars etc.
The best way to join the harness is to solder the wires and cover joint with heatshrink. If you are comfortable with soldering this is by far the most reliable way. Alternatively you can use Butt crimps provided that you have a good hand crimping tool ( an adjustable pipe wrench might do at a pinch provided that it has at least 12 inch handles so you can do a decent compression).
According to the diagrams I have (and the one you sent with your email) this is what should happen.
1 I understand that you have the harness for the new lights.
2 The connections should be as follows:-
The new head light units each have 4 black wires - these are the ground connections. The two heavier gauge wire should all be joined to the single black wire on the old main headlamp. The smaller gauge wire should join to either of the black wires that connected to the side lights. There is probably a cable with a connector for the side repeater flasher lamp for each side - not sure if the connector type for this is the same as the old one but you can ignore this connector and just use the old one. There should be a remaining black wire - this can be connected to the black wire that went to the original indicator black wire. Note that all the black wires connect to ground points on the body and are joined together.
3 Right head lamp
The new harness should have a blue wire with a BLACK stripe - so should the old harness- these should be joined together. This is DIP beam
The new harness should have a blue wire with a n orange stripe - so should the old harness- this is the main beam and should be joined together
The new harness should have a red wire with an ORANGE stripe - the oldharness has two wires this colour- chose one (does not matter which) and join together. Cover the end of the other wire with electrical tape - it is not needed.
4 Indicator light
The new harness should have a green wire with white stripe -so should the old harness these need to be joined together.
5 Left head lamp
The new harness should have a blue wire with a PINK stripe - so should the old harness- these should be joined together. This is DIP beam
The new harness should have a blue wire with a SLATE (GREY) stripe - so should the old harness- this is the main beam and should be joined together
The new harness should have a red wire with a BLACK stripe - the oldharness has two wires this colour- chose one (does not matter which) and join together. Cover the end of the other wire with electrical tape - it is not needed.
6 Indicator light
The new harness should have a green wire with an ORANGE stripe -so should the old harness these need to be joined together.

Your new harness should have the connectors for both the headlight units and may also have connectors for the side repeater indicator lights.

Looking at the later disco II NAS wiring diagram, it is apparent that the main beam does not use both the dip and main beam beam as well on the NAS spec light unlike the UK versions and daylight running light actually uses the side lights . This means that you most probably do not need to fit the diode arrangement and relay shown on the sketch I sent you earlier. I suggest that you connect as above and then take things from there.
I hope the above will help do please contact me again if you have questions or have info that conflicts with the above."

Quick Reply: 00 Headlight Conversion