Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

'02 Disco II: Transmission, axle and tranfer case oil check/change questions

Search this Thread

Old 03-13-2009, 01:00 PM
TReK
Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts
Default '02 Disco II: Transmission, axle and tranfer case oil check/change questions

OK I have an '02 Disco II with 105k miles that I am continuing servicing. My next step is the transmission, axle and transfer case oils. I will split into 3 series of questions (I know I also need to search (I will) but time gets tight so I will ask first so I can get this done this weekend):

1) Transmission Oil: I am going to change the transmission oil I have 10 quarts of the proper oil but do I need to change the oil filter also? In the service manual it only says do this only for the first change. Is it still recommended to change the filter?

2) Transfer case oil: Is this something I can check the level of an top off or is it better to just change it? Also it says to replace the drain plug seal. Is this drain plug something I need to get from online or will my local Napa have it?

3) Axle oil: My front left wheel bearing is shot so I know I am leaking oil. My plan was until I can afford to replace the bearing to just top off and keep an eye on the differential oil. I will probably change the rear differential oil though. Is this an OK (not ideal) thing?

I recall I need a small hand pump would they have that at Napa?

Edit: I found a manual online so I am also reading through that.

Last edited by lipadj46; 03-13-2009 at 01:45 PM.
Old 03-13-2009, 03:13 PM
Administrator
Received 99 Likes on 81 Posts

Send me your tele number, this will require a long set of answers.

Old 03-13-2009, 04:32 PM
Team Owner
Received 95 Likes on 72 Posts

LR replaced the transmission filter for free during the first 30,000 mile service.
Assuming that this service was done at the dealer then it has already been done and no need to worry about it.
Do you know for a fact that it has been changed? Do YOU have the receipt stating that the trans filter was changed?
No?
Then change it.
It is always a good idea to change a filter.

Yes you can get the hand pump at NAPA, the cheap one will do just fine.
There is no gasket on the drain plug.
Change the fluids in both diffs and the transfer case at the same time.
Then keep a eye on the front diff fluid until you can fix the leak topping off with new fluid and then it will be good to go, no need to change it then.
You always want to change fluids like the diffs and t-case at the same time so that the next fluid change will be done at the same time again.
Less down time that way.
You wouldnt change the engine oil today and then the oil filter next week would you? Same principal here.

You will need a 1/2" drive ratchet and a 3" extension to remove the drain plugs.
Also get yourself a open type drain pan and a wide mouth funnel.
Do you have a couple of empty washer fluid jugs laying around? Plastic gallon milk jugs or empty antifreeze jugs work well too.
You can drop your waste oil off for free at AutoZone or any quick lube.

Old 03-13-2009, 06:19 PM
TReK

Thanks Spike.

OK I finished. Disco Mike thank you for the offer but I figured everything out I believe...

The Napa by my house did not have a hand pump so I rigged up a gravity fed system but the next time I am by a bigger Napa I will get one.

I did not change the transmission oil filter but I will next time I change the oil. I only got about 4.5 quarts of oil in the transmission. The manual said it takes 10 but only 4.5 came out so I figure I'm good.

Old 03-13-2009, 06:25 PM
Team Owner
Received 95 Likes on 72 Posts

You wont get all 10 quarts out unless you are doing a rebuild.
10 quarts is bone dry.
About 6 quarts with a filter change.
This is why it is very important to change the fluid often.

Old 03-13-2009, 07:33 PM
TReK

Thanks, btw I will add whoever designed those fill ports must have a good sense of humor especially the transfer case fill hole that was a fun one to get off.

Next up change the ignition cables and then tackle the 3 amigos but I don't think they are going anywhere until I fix my broken wheel hub. Thanks guys.

Old 03-13-2009, 08:46 PM
Pro Wrench
Received 35 Likes on 30 Posts

who diagnosed the hub being bad. not too commen on these, however, they do have horrible problems with the connector for the sensors... does it make a lot of noise when youre cornering like it has a bad bearing?

Old 03-13-2009, 09:25 PM
TReK

Originally Posted by roverguy7
who diagnosed the hub being bad. not too commen on these, however, they do have horrible problems with the connector for the sensors... does it make a lot of noise when youre cornering like it has a bad bearing?
Well my mechanic did but he is not a rover guy just a regular import mechanic though. He diagnosed it by pulling on the left front wheel when it was up on the lift. When you pull straight out on the wheel (perpendicular to the face of the wheel, parallel to the ground) there is about maybe 1/4 - 1/2" of play plus my steering wheel shakes a lot at medium speeds. Nothing else is loose on the front end to cause the shake and it goes away at high speed. Could that be something else?

Last edited by lipadj46; 03-13-2009 at 09:50 PM.
Old 03-14-2009, 06:56 PM
Pro Wrench
Received 35 Likes on 30 Posts

that sounds a lot more like a worn ball joint or tie rod to me, these hubs dont fail very often, exspecially the bearing itself

Old 03-20-2009, 10:43 PM
TReK

I will check it out again next time I have it up on some jack stands. As I recall though when it was up on the lift at the garage and I actually looked under there my self it did not appear to be a ball joint or a tie rod. Next weekend is ignition wire changing time though.

Quick Reply: '02 Disco II: Transmission, axle and tranfer case oil check/change questions