Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

'02 Disco - Smart or Stupid?

Search this Thread

Old 12-04-2010, 11:35 PM
2nd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default '02 Disco - Smart or Stupid?

Experienced Disco Owners!

New here, but may be sticking around for a while, depending on some advice!

I'm looking at a 2002 Disco II SE, great shape in and out, 2 owners, good service records. It has 75,000 miles on it. The guy was asking $7,000, I got him to agree on $6,000, though no money has changed hands. It's a bay area truck, so hasn't had much off-roading or snow driving.

Question is, smart or stupid? I don't mind turning wrenches. I've always loved these trucks, never owned one. I get they are a maintenance hog. Will mostly be city driving, with occasional trips to mountains for snowboarding.

After browsing the forums, doesn't sound like 2002 was the best year? Should I hold out for a better deal, other year? Thoughts? Thanks much!

Old 12-04-2010, 11:38 PM
Pro Wrench
Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

if you offroad hold out for locker

Old 12-04-2010, 11:50 PM
2nd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Won't be much offroading. How's the price point? Fair?

Old 12-05-2010, 01:16 AM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 29 Likes on 22 Posts

I would print out the 60k maintenance list. Talk with the owner about how many items have been performed on the truck, if any.
  • Check them off and go from there. I would perform the whole list to have a good starting point. Starting with the what maintenance that has not been done first
  • Does it have factory plug wires/plugs.
  • Rebuilt front drive shaft? Good idea to rebuild with 3 grease fittings
  • What is the reason for selling?
  • I would use Kelly BB private party value to get a fair estimate on the price and go from there.
I would have like to have answers to these questions when I bought mine.

Old 12-05-2010, 09:08 AM
Administrator
Received 99 Likes on 81 Posts

If you are not going to be rock crawling, the 02 is a good truck, just can't lock the t/case for the extra traction.
If you were being smart, I would make an appointment with Tony at Cerrone's in Redwood City and have them check it over, that would be smart, not stupid.
Let us know what you do.

Old 12-05-2010, 09:10 AM
Rock Crawling
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I don't think that is stupid. Good maintenance is key for these. I love mine, was my first non-4 cylinder small car, so a big change. I love it. Have done all the maintenance myself, except the head gaskets, and have really enjoyed owning it. If you feel confident in the previous owner and it is good shape take the plunge. I have been so grateful for this forum and the help they give.
I like to go off road to hit fishing streams and do not have the lockers. These are VERY capable. Bosshog has the major first things maintenance listed, then you can work through Mike's 60K list over time. Then it ought to run like a top. Good luck. Let us know what you do.

Old 12-05-2010, 03:00 PM
Rock Crawling

I'm new to the Disco world also, and bought my first an 02 SD with 118,000 a couple months ago and love it so much I went and bought another. My wife now drives a 01 SE with 88,00 on it. Both are great and we entered the world of Disco's with eyes wide open thanks to this forum. So far we have worked through most of Mikes 60,000 on both. This weekend I changed diff and transfer case fluids to synthetic 75w140 and it really made a difference and so easy to do. We were interrupted by 3 amigos and a sel on her's but have made it through the ordeal. The 3 amigos went away after changing the brake fluid and we had to replace a MAF. Get the Disco...you will love driving it.

Old 12-05-2010, 03:15 PM
Mudding

3 amigos went away after changing brake fluid?...tell me more :+)

Old 12-05-2010, 03:20 PM
Rock Crawling

Was on the list to do so removed the old fluid turkey baster style rplaced with new DOT-4 and then with my wife's help bleed all the break lines. The 3 amigos have not been back since. Go figure. Pedal feels better also.

Old 12-06-2010, 07:47 AM
Administrator
Received 99 Likes on 81 Posts

Rare, but it does happen. You must always do a brake flush using 3 pints of DOT 4 after a brake job or every 20,000 plus miles because burned brake fluid can eat up the seals in the ABS unit.

Quick Reply: '02 Disco - Smart or Stupid?