Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

'03 D2 Coolant Flush - tonight

Search this Thread

Old 09-08-2009, 04:12 PM
Winching
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Question '03 D2 Coolant Flush - tonight

I was wondering if there was a good thread or a how-to on flushing the coolant system?

I found the bleeding thread but cant find the proper procedure for flushing, replacing, and bleeding the system. I want to just go ahead and do it all. Thanks.

Also, I got 2 gallons of Prestone Dex-Cool considerate (GM approved), do I just mix this with 2 gallons of distilled water and use as much as needed?

Thanks Guys-

Old 09-08-2009, 04:36 PM
TReK
Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

Just pull the bottom hose off your radiator to get the old coolant out. Fill with water drive around until it gets to temp, drain and repeat again with water. Then fill with coolant and bleed. Top off coolant after next few trips. I know you bought dexcool but IMO you should return it and put in any other coolant. Dexcool stinks IMO. If you stick with it follow a strict coolant change schedule.

Old 09-08-2009, 04:41 PM
Winching

Originally Posted by lipadj46
Just pull the bottom hose off your radiator to get the old coolant out. Fill with water drive around until it gets to temp, drain and repeat again with water. Then fill with coolant and bleed. Top off coolant after next few trips. I know you bought dexcool but IMO you should return it and put in any other coolant. Dexcool stinks IMO. If you stick with it follow a strict coolant change schedule.
I thought you were supposed to use Dex-Cool, that's what it says in Mike's sticky. I bought it 45min away on my way home the other night so I guess I will just use it this time.

Can I substitute the filling with water and driving around with just putting the garden hose on the top of the radiator and letting it run for 10min with the hose running through it?

Thanks-

Old 09-08-2009, 06:42 PM
Team Owner
Received 95 Likes on 72 Posts

http://sancarlosradiator.com/dex-cool.htm

http://sancarlosradiator.com/dex-cool_pics.htm

DexCool is absolute junk.
It is called a long life coolant, if it is a long life coolant then why does LR say to change to every 45,000 miles or 36 months whichever is sooner? (it says so in your owners manual)
Because they know it is junk.
Then why do they use it?
Because it is bio-degradable and it helps to offset their carbon foot print which then gets them discounts with the EPA.
I used to sell bulk coolant, every GM tech that I spoke with would not use DexCool in their own cars and the ones that worked on cars in their garage at their house drain it out of any car that came into their shop.

Just because it is in the "list" does not mean it is what is best for your truck.
I would NEVER or would I ever recommend you fill your engine with a non lubricating oil and run it.
That is just asking for trouble.
Tell your LR tech that you did that and you will see $$ in his eyes because he knows a new engine will be in short order.

ANY aluminum safe coolant is fine, it MUST be aluminum safe.
You are fine to remove the lower radiator hose and drain the system, remove the upper hose as well and back flush the block with your garden hose.
Put it back together, refill with your hose, turn the heater on and run it up to temp, you can leave the radiator cap off.
Let it cool for 15-20 min, drain and repeat until it comes out clear water.
Then refill with aluminum safe coolant, if you buy it straight then mix it 50/50 with distilled water.
A DII holds approx. 2 gallons of coolant.

Old 09-08-2009, 07:29 PM
Winching

Originally Posted by Spike555
http://sancarlosradiator.com/dex-cool.htm

http://sancarlosradiator.com/dex-cool_pics.htm

DexCool is absolute junk.
It is called a long life coolant, if it is a long life coolant then why does LR say to change to every 45,000 miles or 36 months whichever is sooner? (it says so in your owners manual)
Because they know it is junk.
Then why do they use it?
Because it is bio-degradable and it helps to offset their carbon foot print which then gets them discounts with the EPA.
I used to sell bulk coolant, every GM tech that I spoke with would not use DexCool in their own cars and the ones that worked on cars in their garage at their house drain it out of any car that came into their shop.

Just because it is in the "list" does not mean it is what is best for your truck.
I would NEVER or would I ever recommend you fill your engine with a non lubricating oil and run it.
That is just asking for trouble.
Tell your LR tech that you did that and you will see $$ in his eyes because he knows a new engine will be in short order.

ANY aluminum safe coolant is fine, it MUST be aluminum safe.
You are fine to remove the lower radiator hose and drain the system, remove the upper hose as well and back flush the block with your garden hose.
Put it back together, refill with your hose, turn the heater on and run it up to temp, you can leave the radiator cap off.
Let it cool for 15-20 min, drain and repeat until it comes out clear water.
Then refill with aluminum safe coolant, if you buy it straight then mix it 50/50 with distilled water.
A DII holds approx. 2 gallons of coolant.

Thanks-

Old 09-08-2009, 07:33 PM
TReK

If returning the dexcool is too much of a hassle just use it but don't abuse it and next time get a green or gold coolant. I think most coolants are aluminum safe these days and most mix with any color coolant but obviously read the label first.

Old 09-08-2009, 07:37 PM
Winching
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by lipadj46
Just pull the bottom hose off your radiator to get the old coolant out. Fill with water drive around until it gets to temp, drain and repeat again with water. Then fill with coolant and bleed.
can you do this back-to-back while the truck is hot?

Old 09-08-2009, 07:42 PM
TReK

I would let it cool, that water is hot, you pull the hose and some is bound to get on your hand. I let mine cool when I did it. I also drained the coolant from the coolant drains in the engine block but that is a bit overkill and is a mess.

Old 09-08-2009, 07:44 PM
Winching
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

about an hour or so to cool down?

Old 09-08-2009, 07:46 PM
TReK

That is plenty of time keep the hood up.

Quick Reply: '03 D2 Coolant Flush - tonight