Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

'03 D2 Jump seats; are they safe for child seats?

Search this Thread

Old 11-03-2013, 07:17 PM
Drifting
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default '03 D2 Jump seats; are they safe for child seats?

My wife is hoping for some written proof that the 6th and 7th pass seats are safe for booster seats and forward facing child seats.

Any guidance is much appreciated.

Nate

Old 11-03-2013, 07:33 PM
Pro Wrench
Received 43 Likes on 41 Posts

The Discovery is one hell of a solid vehicle. I pray I never really need to know first hand the strength of these trucks.

This does not constitute proof that I know anything.

Old 11-03-2013, 07:46 PM
Drifting

Right on!
Thanks

Old 11-03-2013, 07:49 PM
Pro Wrench
Received 116 Likes on 101 Posts

Not that I know anything either, my 'kids' are well past the need for a child seat but it would seem the child seats help place the seat belts in the correct position for a front or rear impact. With the seats facing sideways, I'd guess the child seats won't do much to protect from a front/rear hit.

But then when I was growing up. we didn't even have seat belts in most of the cars of the day. My opinion about seat belts is if you are gonna get hit hard enough for them to do their job, well, it is up to a higher power whether you live or die. Just don't get into a situation where your life depends on a seat belt.

Old 11-03-2013, 08:43 PM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 29 Likes on 27 Posts

Originally Posted by jimvw57
With the seats facing sideways, I'd guess the child seats won't do much to protect from a front/rear hit.
DII have forward facing jump seats.

Old 11-03-2013, 10:17 PM
Pro Wrench
Received 116 Likes on 101 Posts

Oops sorry, I didn't know that. Just going by my Discovery 1.

Old 11-03-2013, 10:32 PM
acg
Pro Wrench
Received 275 Likes on 210 Posts

We have a 2003 SE7 with the forward facing seats. The third row seats with booster seats has worked well for us with our 9-1/2, 8 and 5-1/2 year olds. The booster seats are need to ensure the seat belts are routed safely across their chests without being too close to their necks.

Old 11-04-2013, 07:05 AM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 29 Likes on 27 Posts

The owners manual says "All front passenger and second row seat belts have a special locking mechanism which aids the securing of child restraints." (when you pull them out all the way, they go into ratchet mode)

Since car seats rely on the seat belt to hold it in place (car seat should only move 1" when properly secured), I only use them in the 2nd row. Booster seats aid in proper position of the seat belt, I use them in the 2nd and 3rd row. (coming from a father of 4 (3,5,8,10))

Old 11-04-2013, 11:09 AM
Pro Wrench
Received 31 Likes on 19 Posts

Originally Posted by acamato
The owners manual says "All front passenger and second row seat belts have a special locking mechanism which aids the securing of child restraints." (when you pull them out all the way, they go into ratchet mode)

Since car seats rely on the seat belt to hold it in place (car seat should only move 1" when properly secured), I only use them in the 2nd row. Booster seats aid in proper position of the seat belt, I use them in the 2nd and 3rd row. (coming from a father of 4 (3,5,8,10))
+1 ^^^

There is NO mention of it being safe to have Child Seats in the Jump Seats. It's a bummer, because that's exactly where my Grand Kids would like to sit. Boosters are ok, but not actual Child Seats. There are no anchors in the back for the Child Seat to hook to. Those are only in the front two rows. Front seat to be used ONLY if necessary, and move seat all the way back, and only forward facing seats allowed.

Old 11-04-2013, 04:21 PM
Mudding

I have an eight year old and six year old and they sit in the jump seats all the time. They have booster seats obviously as it puts the seat belt in the right place. As a personal choice I did not let my kids sit back there until they were 6, as far as my youngest (22 months), she goes in the 2nd row. There is a safety restraint system on the 2nd row which anyone using a car seat should use.

I am no expert but just my .02 on how i handled it.

Good luck convincing your better half...

Quick Reply: '03 D2 Jump seats; are they safe for child seats?