Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

03 disco engine tapping

Search this Thread

Old 11-16-2012, 08:41 PM
Drifting
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Default 03 disco engine tapping

Hey Guys, i have a couple questions i have a 03 disco and the engine has been tapping it first started only when i drove it hard but now its been doing it when i take it easy. my vin seems to be out of the "danger zone" i seem to be about a thousand out its 3A809357, i have been trying to read up on the issue and seeing answers all over the place, so im not sure where to start, i thought about replacing the oil pump, tearing apart the engine, getting another engine and not sure where to start. iv never had any engine lights come on or any other major issues with it. before i bought it a few months ago the previous owner had it overheat on him and he stoped the disco and had it towed back and replaced the t-stat iv changed the oil using mobil 1 advanced full syn and used a oem land rover oil filter any recommendations?

thanks josh

Old 11-16-2012, 09:25 PM
Super Moderator
Received 82 Likes on 79 Posts

See our tech section write up on oil questions - big oil filter and Rotella 15W40. Also consoder a 180F soft spring thermostat. If tapping starts after warmed up, suspect slipping cylinder sleeves.

Old 11-16-2012, 10:15 PM
TReK
Received 44 Likes on 37 Posts

If you don't have tapping from starting it from cold.
Then you drive a few miles and get it really warmed up.

And the tapping gets really loud.
If you can then go about 20 feet away and still hear the tapping with the hood closed..

Then sorry - it is probably a slipped liner.

If you can hear it from 20 feet away is the key.

I test drove a slipped liner Rover and that's how I know this.

Old 11-17-2012, 06:02 AM
Drifting

Unfortunately I can hear it from over 20ft away after i drive it hard when i drive it normal i really have to get in there to see if i can hear it. but basically i need to through a new short block in

Old 11-17-2012, 06:18 AM
Drifting

Here is another couple questions should i put any more lucas oil stabilizer with rotella t oil, and how long can i run my enging with slipping sleves, or what kind of damage will that due to the entire engine?

Old 11-19-2012, 08:53 AM
Mudding
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I replaced the thermostat in my 04 with a 180 degree thermostat a few weeks ago and my tapping stopped. I just did a 400 mile road trip, and no tapping at all. This may not solve your problem, but it is worth doing either way.

Old 11-19-2012, 10:49 AM
Super Moderator
Old 01-06-2013, 07:37 PM
Drifting

hey guys i have another challenge for you, i think i have a leak in my HG but im not sure, i took a long trip about a month ago and when i got home and drove it the next day and i overheated and i was low on antifreeze, so i added and forgot about it now this is the second time in a under a month and i dont drive it that much during the week and a week ago i got a PO420 code and reset it my mpg is down to 12 and i use 92 or 93 gas depending on the station my oil is not milky, im using rotella t and it has been running good i do have a tapping in the engine and it is believed to be a slipping sleeve my 03 disco has 77k on it

Old 01-07-2013, 01:26 AM
Super Moderator

If your have coolant loss, it has to be going somewhere.

Now it could just leak out of the hoses or the coolant cap while driving. A rented pressure tester will allow you to pump up the coolant system to 18 PSI and leave for 30 minutes and see if a leak shows up. Coolant cap can vent while you are driving if bad.

Coolant can also be going into oil (milkshake); or burned off inside the cylinders (usually white smoke out the tail pipe). With a head gasket leak, it is common to have a noise like water bubbles rushing through pipes under the dash, can be exhaust gas bubbles in the coolant. A chemical test from the parts store will confirm this.

Old 01-07-2013, 07:48 AM
Drifting

when pressuring the coolant system i leave the coolant in correct? and i just us air pressure from my air compressor or what is the best method? and what kind of adapter would i need. it is not going into the oil iv checked that and in the past month i put over 2 gallons of coolant in it and i have not noticed any issues with white smoke coming out of the tail pipe. and the other issue is my po420 code it only came one once when i was driving it kinda hard in snow/slush weather. i just filled up after driving about 200 miles and my mpg is down to 12.3 and that was normal driving on highway and around town any chance that my cats are going bad?

Quick Reply: 03 disco engine tapping