Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

'03 Disco Oil Change.

Search this Thread

Old 05-31-2008, 10:54 AM
Overlanding
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default '03 Disco Oil Change.

Hello, I am new to the forum and I wanted to get a little expert advice from some of you. I have looked on the forum and didnt see a step by step directions in changing my oil myself.

I last took my disco to get the oil changed at a Jiffy Lube and I believe they forgot to put my crush washer back on and its leaking oil from that drain plug. Its not a major leak, but enough to get me a little upset.

I just got 2 gallons of 10w-40 GTX and a K&N Oil Filter. I have a friend who is going to be helping me and who has all the tools to get the job done. I was just wondering if someone could tell me the steps in doing this. I am mostly afraid of emptying the oil pump and some how screwing up my brand new engin (Yes, i was part of the Oil Pump Tech Recall) I also want to learn how to do it, so I know the job gets done right.

Thanks for all the help.

Old 05-31-2008, 11:03 AM
Administrator
Received 103 Likes on 85 Posts
Default RE: '03 Disco Oil Change.

Why don't you take it back to Jiffy Lube and tell them to fix it, while you are at it have them install your K&N oil filter in.
Alway make sure you always fill the oil filter at least 3/4 full before installing it.

Old 05-31-2008, 11:15 AM
Overlanding

It was done about 4k miles ago. It was a very very small leak and my levels have been checked weekly by me and it was fine. So, going back now would be a waste since i have new washers, oil and a filter.

Can I take the filter and the drain plug off at the same time?

And by the way, how do you check the level of the transmission? Might as well check that out while im down there. And what Fluid do i use for that?

Old 05-31-2008, 11:15 AM
Rock Crawling

http://www.carbibles.com/engineoil_bible.html

Read it all or go to the bottom for a quick how to guide.

Cheers,

Pete

Old 05-31-2008, 11:18 AM
Rock Crawling

You can take both the plug and filter off at the same time, although it may produce a big mess underneath your Rover. Do the plug first, then the filter.

If you have a Disco I you can check the fluid level of the tranny. Disco II's are without the dipstick, so checking the level must be done from underneath.

Old 05-31-2008, 11:49 AM
Team Owner
Received 95 Likes on 72 Posts

You will need a drain pan, filter wrench and a socket set. You will also need something to put your used oil in, empty washer fluid bottles work well, you will need two. You will also need a good funnel and some shop towels.
Place your drain pan under the oil drain plug, remove the plug and keep the pan under the stream of oil. Let it drain until it just drips, this is a good time to go and get a Pepsi out of the fridge.
Wipe the hole in the oil pan and clean off your drin plug, screw it back in hand tight then put your socket on it and make sure that it is tight, not to tight, if you strip it you are hosed.
Pour the used oil into the empty washer fluid bottle.
Put the drain pan under the oil filter, remove the filter with the filter wrench.
Turn the filter upside down inside the funnel and let the oil drain out of the old filter.
Wipe the area around the engine block that the filter screws onto, make sure that the mating surface is clean and dry.
Take your new filter and stick your finger into a new oil bottle and oil the filter seal. Pour new some oil into the new filter.
Screw the new filter on hand tight, then anotherquarter turn with the wrench.
Add new oil. Start the trk and wait for the oil light to go out and with the engine running look for leaks, check the filter area as this will be most likely area to leak.
Clean everything up. Take your empty oil bottles and a small funnel, stick on bottle upside down inside the funnel and let it drain overnight, then repeat this with all the other bottles and you will recover another half quart of oil. You do this so that you dont waste oil and so that oil doesnt go into a land fill and pollute ground water.
Take your used oil and filter to the Jiffy Lube, they will be glad to take your oil because they get paid for their used oil. If they try to charge you for dropping off your used oil take it somewhere else, like AutoZone.

Old 05-31-2008, 01:11 PM
Overlanding

Hey guys, thanks for all the help. I am doing it in the morning, so I think im good to go. Next is figuring out how to do the 50k maint' myself. I look forward to learning more about doing these things myself.

Thanks for the help.

Old 05-31-2008, 01:39 PM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

The biggest thing is to make sure you fill the new filter withfresh oil before installing. It takes a while for the oil to absorb into the filter andyou can fit close to a qt. of oil into a larger sizedfilter like the M1-301 or K&N 3001.

Also FWIW, theshop that I bought my truck from said they had rebuilt a lot of oil pumps because the owners had drained the pump drywhen theywaited forevery last bit of oil drip out of the pan. I don't know if that is evenpossible. Hebasically said to let most of the oil drain out and then replug it.Does that make sense to anyone? I think he may have been full of it.

Old 05-31-2008, 05:03 PM
Team Owner
Received 95 Likes on 72 Posts

A oil pump can loose it's prime. If that happens, it is rare but can happen, you need to remove the oil filter and squirt oil into the oil pump.
About the only time that will happen is if you let the oil drain overnight. I have let it drain for a hour or two and have never had any problems, but your results may vary.

Old 06-01-2008, 12:44 PM
Overlanding

Oil change is done and I have to say, I think its made the car run smoother. I dont know if thats possible, but it feels like it.

Things Ive learned in the process... Wear some sort of eye protection when taking the plug out. I got it all over my face, none in the eyes, but that could of been bad. Also, really wait until the car has cooled off. I burned my arm on the pipe.

Other than that, no leaks and I am I think my trk is going to like the new 3001 oil filer.

Thanks again for the help.

Quick Reply: '03 Disco Oil Change.