Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

03 DISCO OIL PUMP DATE

Search this Thread

Old 05-22-2008, 04:00 AM
4wd Low
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 03 DISCO OIL PUMP DATE

Hey Guys

Anyone know what build date the 03 discos redesigned the oil pump.

I have an 03 & ran accross the oil pump issues on the forum. Have not had any problems with mine, (knock on wood) but still want to avoid a headache if I can.
My rover has 80K on it now, I just did the big 60K service bout 5,000 miles ago. (I know, it was a bit late, but it seemed to be runnin perfect.) spendin $700 on a new oil pump to almost eliminate a future issue sounds better than getting a $8K surpise engine failure in the near future.

DISCO MIKE... you helped me on a load of issues... DO U HAVE ANY ADVICE ON AVOIDING THIS ISSUE.

thanx

Old 05-22-2008, 07:37 AM
Rock Crawling
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: 03 DISCO OIL PUMP DATE

I'm in the same predicament as you with the '03.

My oil pump has already failed and been replaced.

That being said, the only known solution is to replace the block.

It seems the root cause of the issue is a poor quality control and the block wasn't machined correctly. This was addressed in later '03s and for '04.

But for guys like us, an oil pump replacement won't cut it. We'll more than likely have to replace the pump again, should we avoid significant engine damage.

Old 05-22-2008, 08:56 AM
Administrator
Received 103 Likes on 85 Posts

There are posts all over the different forums, you guys need to start researching a little instead of just posting questions.

Important info for 2003 Discovery owners:

Land Rover North America issued a "Technical Alert" TA03 1201 in
March of 2003 to its dealers informing them that for 2003 Discovery
models that have VIN's within the range of 3A771801-3A808362 the oil
pump may fail due to a manufacturing error which will cause engine
failure. The oil pump failure is the result of improper engine
mounting and usually takes several thousand miles before the stress
on the oil pump finally causes the pump to rupture and fail. Many
affected consumers have well over 50,000 miles on the odometer before
this failure occurs. (Most cases I have read about are in the 50,000-
75,000+ mile range) They also state that replacement of the entire
engine is the only known solution to this problem (at a cost of
$9,000-$13,000). Land Rover refused to issue a recall and is not
interested in complaints after the factory warranty period. These
failures can occur at any time without warning or can happen after a
brief warning period in which the engine valves begin leaking oil,
engine begins producing a loud "ticking" sounds and things get
progressively worse after that.

The Technical Alert can be viewed at the following link:

http://home.comcast.net/~bhcmbailey/lrna_tsb.pdf

I have also found an attorney named Michael Wing who is accepting
calls from consumers who have had this problem and as of 5/16/08 is
looking to file a class action lawsuit against Land Rover North
America on behalf of affected consumers. Please call him at 251-433-
7468 if you are a 2003 Discovery owner who has had this type of
engine problem, he can add you to the class action and you might get
some compensation for all the costs Land Rover has caused you.

Old 05-22-2008, 12:03 PM
4wd Low

DISCO MIKE

SORRY FOR THE REPEATED POST.

I searched for 2 hours last night under 03 oil pump & found various threads on issues & complaints but did not find any exact dates or vin numbers.

Anyhow, I'm a bit concerned now, my vin ends in 3A797814 & I have been noticing a ticking sound coming from the engine. I asked my mechanic & he said, thats just how rovers sound.... I swear it didnt sound like that 6 months ago... (oh well, just wear & tear I figured) My milage is decent at 14-16per gal. (for a disco at least) just did the major service, plugs, air filter, trany service, wires, etc... so it runs like a champ except for that ticking. Is there anything that would keep my local ROVER DEALER from accepting it as a trade in. & do u think this is the right move. If not, please advise.

Thanx

Roger
Concerned Disco Owner

Old 05-22-2008, 12:24 PM
TReK
Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

The search engine on this site is about the most worthless thing I have ever seen. I brings back the stragest results for almost any search. As for your problem, I will look for the Vin range for you, if its in it then you have something to be worried about, but if not you should be fine. Dont bother with the dealers, half of them dont even know about it, or pretend they dont...

Old 05-22-2008, 12:35 PM
4wd Low

ORIGINAL: Camdisco24

The search engine on this site is about the most worthless thing I have ever seen. I brings back the stragest results for almost any search. As for your problem, I will look for the Vin range for you, if its in it then you have something to be worried about, but if not you should be fine. Dont bother with the dealers, half of them dont even know about it, or pretend they dont...
I did get the official technical alert thanx to DISCO MiKE, so I know my vin falls within that bad btch of discos. 3A771801 - 3A808362
MY VIN IS RIGHT IN THE IDDLE 3A797814

Old 05-22-2008, 01:02 PM
4wd Low

HOW DIDI U CATCH THE OIL PUMP FAILURE & SAVE THE MOTOR. (JUST LUCK, or IS IT POSSIBLE TO STOP THE CAR IMEDIATLY ONCE IT FAILS?)
ORIGINAL: meltdowndave

I'm in the same predicament as you with the '03.

My oil pump has already failed and been replaced.

That being said, the only known solution is to replace the block.

It seems the root cause of the issue is a poor quality control and the block wasn't machined correctly. This was addressed in later '03s and for '04.

But for guys like us, an oil pump replacement won't cut it. We'll more than likely have to replace the pump again, should we avoid significant engine damage.

Old 05-22-2008, 01:41 PM
Administrator
Received 103 Likes on 85 Posts

Since you are out of warranty, Rover won't help you at all.
Tough decisions to make.
A ticking noise does not mean an oil pump in failing. Go have the oil pressure tested, see what shows up.

Old 05-22-2008, 02:27 PM
Rock Crawling
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The previous owner experienced the failure at 49k and was alert enough to pull over and shut the engine off. He said he was driving back from his hunting cabing on a dirt road and wasn't going fast to begin with, but he could have been saying that to offload the truck.

Anyway, he went round and round with the dealership who said that it needed a new engine. They also told him that the engine was siezed, heads warped and all that. When he asked from compression numbers and the like he caught them in a lie. Afterall, how can you do a compression check on a seized engine? Or know the heads are warped without taking them off and measuring them?

He got fed up and bought the pump and had it changed by some good local mechanics.

They also pulled the oil pan and checked for damage, but found none.

So, I suppose you could say that I got lucky... or not depending what happens next.

Old 05-22-2008, 05:01 PM
Three Wheeling

ORIGINAL: meltdowndave

The previous owner experienced the failure at 49k and was alert enough to pull over and shut the engine off. He said he was driving back from his hunting cabing on a dirt road and wasn't going fast to begin with, but he could have been saying that to offload the truck.

Anyway, he went round and round with the dealership who said that it needed a new engine. They also told him that the engine was siezed, heads warped and all that. When he asked from compression numbers and the like he caught them in a lie. Afterall, how can you do a compression check on a seized engine? Or know the heads are warped without taking them off and measuring them?

He got fed up and bought the pump and had it changed by some good local mechanics.

They also pulled the oil pan and checked for damage, but found none.

So, I suppose you could say that I got lucky... or not depending what happens next.

I would say the previous Owner was RETARDED!! he should have let the dealer replace the Motor since it is a Block issue and not a pump issue. At 49K it still should have been covered under warranty.

Quick Reply: 03 DISCO OIL PUMP DATE