Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

'03 Disco SE Trouble Codes...Please Help!

Search this Thread

Old 06-12-2009, 05:21 PM
4wd Low
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Unhappy '03 Disco SE Trouble Codes...Please Help!

Hey guys,
I'm hoping someone here can tell me what in the world is going on with my truck. A few weeks ago, while driving on the highway, our service engine light came on. I didn't think anything of it because we had just filled up and figured it was an evap code for the cap not being tight enough(we filled up in New Jersey and they don't allow drivers to fuel their own vehicles). When we went through the toll plaza I noticed that the idle was very rough. The light never went off after multiple fuelings and the idle remained very rough but otherwise the car drives like a dream, as always. Today, I went to a local mechanic that I know and he scanned the codes it came up with quite a list: P0130, P0171, P1171, P1412, P0300, P0303, P0305, P0307, P0301, P0139. He suggested that the intake manifold gasket could be blown but that doesn't sit right with me. I did a bit of reading and found out what the codes mean but I have no clue what to do with that information. Where do I begin? The Disco is a 2003 SE with 74K on it. I am the second owner and I haven't done plugs and wires yet. I run a K&N air filter and we don't typically run premium gas usually regular. Can someone please lend me some advice. Thanks!
Ken

Old 06-12-2009, 05:31 PM
Administrator
Received 99 Likes on 81 Posts

Do not drive it and PM me your tele number ASAP.
Mike

Old 06-12-2009, 06:29 PM
Team Owner
Received 95 Likes on 72 Posts

You MUST use premium gas, this is a MUST, if you dont your MPG will suffer as well as damage the engine.
You are only saving a few dollars per fill up by using regular but you will be spending thousands on repairs.

Old 06-13-2009, 09:29 PM
4wd Low

Hey guys!

Thanks for the quick info. Disco Mike, thanks for your help on the phone. I truly appreciate it. I filled up with 92 octane and I plan on ordering the O2 sensors, plugs, and wires by weeks end. The K&N filter found its way to the trash can and I found the BG 44K online and will be ordering it this week as well. I will keep you posted with my progress and hopefully success! Again, thanks for the help!!!

Ken

Old 06-14-2009, 09:07 AM
Administrator

You do good work, call me after you get the parts, that is where the learning begins.

Old 06-15-2009, 08:28 PM
4wd Low

Will do Mike. Thanks again!

I have to admit, this is my first Land Rover and I was reluctant to purchase it initially due to not knowing much about them or their service procedures. This site and the incredible knowledge of the people on it has made me a true Rover fan! I always liked the styling, ride, and 4-wheel drive capabilities of it but now that I feel like I have a grasp on how to perform the service, I think I will probably keep this thing until it turns into a pile of rust and just won't function as a truck any longer. I have spent several hours on this site just searching things I wasn't sure of and reading responses. For instance, when I did my last engine oil change I thought I should check the transmission fluid and could not find the dipstick anywhere! I felt defeated as a man and told my wife that I had checked it and it was fine. Lol. This site has taught me how to drain, flush, fill and check the trans fluid and now I no longer feel like a dipstick myself! You guys rock! And if this site wasn't here I would probably be too scared of the maintenance to fully enjoy my Rover! Thanks agian for all the help!!

I'll keep you guys posted for sure!!

Ken

Old 08-19-2009, 08:54 PM
4wd Low
Talking job completed

Well after alot of help from Disco Mike the task of replacing my plugs and wires is now complete. I also replaced all 4 o2 sensors and ran a treatment of Techron through the tank and a treatment of BG-44K through the tank. I run premium gas now and even before the plugs and wires I noticed the difference in engine smoothness just from running the fuel treatments through and keeping premium gas in it. Now after doing the plugs, wires, and o2 sensors there is an incredible improvment in engine idle and performance. I'll go to Advance Auto Parts on Friday and have them reset the codes for me so that I can get in for state inspection and emissions testing.

Mike sent me the coilpack diagram and a few pictures of what to remove from the engine compartment to make the plug wires accessible then he walked me through the entire process step by step. I would not have been able to get this done without his help! I would have had to pay someone a small fortune to do the job for me or I would have gone at it blind and ended up with a huge headache. Thanks Mike! You're the man!!

Old 08-20-2009, 02:11 AM
KBW
Mudding
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I must say Mike is the MAN for how willing he is to help all of us that don't know what we are doing out He has helped me a few times in the past.

Old 08-20-2009, 08:57 AM
Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts

+1 mike

Old 08-20-2009, 10:16 AM
Administrator

Thanks guys!!

Quick Reply: '03 Disco SE Trouble Codes...Please Help!