Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

03 Discovery A/C not working

Search this Thread

Old 01-28-2013, 07:39 AM
Baja
Received 317 Likes on 311 Posts

the reason you have 85 psi head preasure and 85psi back preasure is because the compressor is not running and the system has equalized. HVAC 101.
If you have the same readings with the compressor running you have a bad valve plate in the compressor

Old 01-28-2013, 11:19 AM
Winching
Received 23 Likes on 16 Posts

Well I tried adding freon and it would not take... So then i just jumped the terminals to battery and truck started cooling, low was cycling between 30-100 lets say... I was out of hands so didnt get super accurate differentials on high side but that was general area... So basically by bypassing plug it seemed to be working and cooling... But it never started taking freon so i stopped that... Anything else to look for before taking to ac shop?

I have a harbor freight almost across street btw

Old 01-28-2013, 11:41 AM
Baja

On your fliter/drier or just before entering the cabin is a low/high preasure switch for you a/c system, You should try jumping it there.

If you jump it there and the compressor kicks on the the system is probably low enough on charge to shut the compressor off to avoid damage.

The preasures that you are read on your guages are subject to all sort of ambien changes, such at OAT, air flow across the evaporated.

If you jump the preasure control and the compressor comes on, just bring it to someone and have them pull a vaccum and recharge the system.

Old 01-28-2013, 12:12 PM
Winching

Originally Posted by drowssap
On your fliter/drier or just before entering the cabin is a low/high preasure switch for you a/c system, You should try jumping it there.

If you jump it there and the compressor kicks on the the system is probably low enough on charge to shut the compressor off to avoid damage.

The preasures that you are read on your guages are subject to all sort of ambien changes, such at OAT, air flow across the evaporated.

If you jump the preasure control and the compressor comes on, just bring it to someone and have them pull a vaccum and recharge the system.
Well i just checked the relay and it is good, swapped with horn relay and tested it... Then could not find this pressure switch by firewall but found a dual pressure switch on front behind grill i jumped that and nothing... (Note: when i first boughht truck these were grounded to condenser or body but i put them back on right when i had compressor replaced and recharged at mechanics. Originally he left it alone til I had ac problems aain so i wired it correctly and went back for evac and recharge)
... I also noticed the fan up front does not come on when pushing ac button on clamate control box inside as it used too... However fan does work normally when temps go above 204deg

Also i guess jumping relay since i kow its good would do nothing? Would it engage compressor?

Old 01-28-2013, 02:26 PM
Baja

it starting to sound like you have more of a control problem than an A/C problem. Time to start looking in the RAVE to see what activates the clutch on the compressor to pull in.

Old 01-28-2013, 03:39 PM
Winching

it starting to sound like you have more of a control problem than an A/C problem. Time to start looking in the RAVE to see what activates the clutch on the compressor to pull in.
Im looking at page 1208 on RAVE that has to do with troubleshooting sensors by holding the "auto" button while starting truck and then it would show a trouble code for sensors i think im understanding correctly....

Old 01-28-2013, 04:16 PM
Winching

Well.... After 3 or more weeks no a/c ilearned a very hard lesson.... Not sure what that was except... MAKE SURE THE ECON BUTTON IS OFF!!! Hahaha when looking to read codes on climate conol unit guess what i saw!!! ECON BUTTON WAS ON! =NO A/C! Lol pushed it and a/c working!!! Hahahaha oh well i at least learned how to use my fancy gauges!! Lol i added a can of freon... Low side was sitting at 23 so i bumped it up to 32.. Outside air around 75F ... High side sround 165! It was NICEN COLD INSIDE! Hahaha can you beleive! Lol i rememebr my GF was fiddling with my a/c saying her side was too cold and she hit the econ i bet! Lol GGGRRRR!! And its been unseasonably warm n steamy! Lol

Old 01-28-2013, 08:22 PM
TReK
Received 44 Likes on 37 Posts

Good job.
Make sure there is enough oil charge in there and go on your way.

Old 01-29-2013, 06:28 AM
Pro Wrench
Received 32 Likes on 27 Posts

it starting to sound like you have more of a control problem than an A/C problem.
drowssap was right! You do have a control problem. Your girlfriend needs to control her urges to mess with your HVAC controls!

Old 01-29-2013, 07:56 AM
Winching

Originally Posted by 04duxlr
drowssap was right! You do have a control problem. Your girlfriend needs to control her urges to mess with your HVAC controls!
Haha yup! I recended her co pilot license! Lol controls off limits! Lol

Quick Reply: 03 Discovery A/C not working