Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

03 Oil Pump, Timing Chain and ...

Search this Thread

Old 09-08-2011, 03:01 PM
Mudding
Received 6 Likes on 3 Posts
Default 03 Oil Pump, Timing Chain and ...

Hey Guys,

Over the last months I've developed a significant oil leak at what looks like the front cover. The plan at this point is to pull the front cover, replace the oil pump and while I'm in there, replace the timing chain as well.

I ordered a new oil pump and timing chain kit from BA. Is there anything else I should consider? Any thoughts about replacing the water pump?

Thanks,
Michael

Old 09-08-2011, 03:10 PM
Super Moderator
Received 83 Likes on 80 Posts

Do the pump, it is very simple, but the bearing eventually goes wobbly or leaky or both. When it fails, it flails, and fan can go into rad and thru hood. Mine was wobbling, and I took it off and drove 30 miles home, don't need no stinkin' fan if you don't stop too long. Better to have fan in cargo area than thru the radiator.

That said, many old skool believe in the principal of replace WP and fan clutch at same time, they tend to fail near each other. But you can check the fan clutch, if needed that's $49 in the tech sticky area (Chevy cross over).

Thought about installing a Glowshift or similar oil pressure guage set up? The adapter connects to the oil filter base.

I wish Rover had given us real working guages, and left off the immobilizer.

Old 09-08-2011, 03:26 PM
Mudding

Thanks for the WP reassurance. Immediately after posting I ordered a pump... I hate half doing something. Also, thanks for the Chevy fan clutch conversion tip. The BA price on that part is steep!

Ya, I'm planning to install an oil pressure gauge while I'm at it. It's seems odd that LR doesn't include that in the stock instruments.

Michael

Old 09-08-2011, 05:30 PM
Administrator
Received 103 Likes on 85 Posts

Michael, give me a call when you get a chance.

Old 09-15-2011, 01:10 PM
Mudding

Originally Posted by Disco Mike
Michael, give me a call when you get a chance.
Sorry Mike... I missed your post- will call shortly!

So the excitement has begun. The LR salesman's description, of great family adventures and memories to last a lifetime are proving beyond any expectation I imagined...

Attached Thumbnails 03 Oil Pump, Timing Chain and ...-imag0468.jpg   03 Oil Pump, Timing Chain and ...-imag0463.jpg   03 Oil Pump, Timing Chain and ...-imag0464.jpg   03 Oil Pump, Timing Chain and ...-imag0465.jpg   03 Oil Pump, Timing Chain and ...-imag0467.jpg  

Old 09-15-2011, 05:48 PM
Mudding

And this is what it looks like when your oil pump splits into three sections! Correction: after I removed it, I discovered it is actually split into four pieces.

Attached Thumbnails 03 Oil Pump, Timing Chain and ...-imag0469.jpg  

Last edited by DeepBlueWater; 09-21-2011 at 09:30 AM.
Old 09-19-2011, 07:38 PM
Mudding

OK... got a question!

When I removed the front cover on my 03, the existing front engine oil seal was positioned such that the outer portion of the seal was flush to the outside of the front cover. After reinstalling a new seal, I noticed (if I position it like the previous one) there is room behind the seal.

I referenced RAVE, which notes an earlier version of the seal and a recommended replacement version. As for positioning, it simply says install.

My question- Should I position it as it was or press it deeper, seating it into the front cover?

Thanks,
Michael

Attached Thumbnails 03 Oil Pump, Timing Chain and ...-imag0471.jpg   03 Oil Pump, Timing Chain and ...-imag0472.jpg  

Last edited by DeepBlueWater; 09-19-2011 at 07:48 PM.
Old 09-19-2011, 08:20 PM
Drifting
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I set mine flush with the front cover. That is the way the one that I removed was. This was about 6k miles ago and no leaks.

Old 09-19-2011, 08:20 PM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 30 Likes on 22 Posts

When I replaced my crankshaft seal I tapped mine as far in as it would go. I used a large socket and a rubber mallet, taking care not the hit the radiator fins! Had to turn the mallet side ways.

Old 09-19-2011, 08:31 PM
Drifting
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by bosshogt
When I replaced my crankshaft seal I tapped mine as far in as it would go. I used a large socket and a rubber mallet, taking care not the hit the radiator fins! Had to turn the mallet side ways.
He is doing this with the timing cover off of the block. I believe,,,

Quick Reply: 03 Oil Pump, Timing Chain and ...