Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

03 Tick Solution... ATF Flush and Blow out the Pipes...

Search this Thread

Old 07-01-2011, 10:40 PM
Mudding
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 03 Tick Solution... ATF Flush and Blow out the Pipes...

Disco mike recommended last weekend that I try flushing my engine with ATF fluid for the tick that has been so widely debated and drives me up the wall at stoplights (I had called for a pep talk and pointers on my plugs and wire job).

I swapped out my W5-40 syn, put in 6 quarts cheap ATF, ran it for 30 minutes, and replaced it with 15w-40 Rotella and a quart of Magic Mystery Oil, started it up and, no tick! For 15 minutes, and then started up again, although slightly quieter.

Yesterday, I took the truck on its first ever 300 mile road trip. Since I have owned the truck, I have pretty much driven it like a senior citizen, and rarely gone over 60. Yesterday, I had a time constraint, a can of BG44k in the gas tank, new plugs and wires, and said to hell with it and was pushing 75 pretty much the whole time. Pulled off about 150 miles into the trip to walk the dog, and, NO TICK. pulled off a few more times, tick is gone, drove about 60 miles around today, no tick. I am pretty sure the actual issue was a stuck lifter, and I am thinking that the flush combined with pushing the truck to the point that it could unstick itself may be what did the trick. Don't want to jinx myself, but I figure it is my obligation to tell someone if I have found a simple possible fix for this PITA problem.

Old 07-02-2011, 12:04 AM
Mudding

Keep us updated on this. Sounds too good to be true, but definitely easy to do ourselves.

Old 07-02-2011, 01:55 PM
Drifting

If this is true you may have made many, many Disco owners happy! +1 on keeping us updated.

Old 07-02-2011, 07:16 PM
Pro Wrench
Received 99 Likes on 92 Posts

definately keep us updated on this....

Old 07-02-2011, 08:59 PM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 30 Likes on 22 Posts

I did the ATF oil flush at 65,000 and now at 99480. Have not developed a tick, so maybe it a good idea to do every 30,000 or so. I also use MMO every 3 or so oil changes. About a half quart. Head gaskets holding strong. I have must have good LR Karma.

Old 07-06-2011, 07:59 AM
Pro Wrench
Received 99 Likes on 92 Posts

discobenjamin and bosshogt, any update on the ticking?

Old 07-06-2011, 08:16 PM
Mudding
Default Update...

Drove all over upstate NY and then drove back yesterday, put in a bottle of Seafoam for the ride home, truck has tremendous power and no tick at all, so smooth I cannot even hear it at lights, definitely think that this is the end of the tick for good, recorded video evidence but youtube is being a PITA right now with the upload, will post when youtube starts cooperating...

Old 07-06-2011, 08:26 PM
Mudding

Got it, check out before and after.
Before:
YouTube - ‪IMG 1111‬‏

After:
YouTube - ‪IMG 1150‬‏

In other news, two miles from my house after close to 700 total, I got the SES light on, pulled codes today and have P1170 and P1884, so I will start trouble shooting that immediately. Dont think that they are related to the ATF engine flush and BG44k on the way up and seafoam on the way down, you guys may know better than me. If its not one thing its the other...

Old 07-06-2011, 08:48 PM
Winching
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

While it's great news for you and possibly others that you were able to get rid of your tick this way, I think your posting is leaving some with the impression that all of these ticks are the same.

Yours appears to have been because of plugged/restricted oil passages or lifters, and your ATF flush cleared that out. Now you are getting oil in all the places you are supposed to, and apparently you caught it before the lack of oil did enough damage to keep it ticking.

Other ticks in these motors have been 100% proven to be other things, so this isn't a generic solution.

Old 07-06-2011, 09:02 PM
Mudding

yeah, I understand that, any input on the new codes, by chance?

Quick Reply: 03 Tick Solution... ATF Flush and Blow out the Pipes...