Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

04 Disco II "Long Haul"

Search this Thread

Old 08-23-2011, 05:26 PM
Banned
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Red face 04 Disco II "Long Haul"

Name:  1651gmc_19.jpg
Views: 41
Size:  13.3 KB
Name:  4711132_19.jpg
Views: 54
Size:  13.0 KB
Name:  38448fk_19.jpg
Views: 38
Size:  15.2 KB
Name:  0782ec0_19.jpg
Views: 45
Size:  13.1 KB
Name:  36205da_19.jpg
Views: 40
Size:  12.2 KB
Name:  8221jag_19.jpg
Views: 42
Size:  9.7 KB
Name:  4592cik_19.jpg
Views: 37
Size:  12.8 KB
Name:  Miles.jpg
Views: 42
Size:  9.6 KB

Sorry to post a Disco 2 in a Disco 1 thread, but I wanted to let you guys know where I'm heading and get additional pointers from you all. You've been most helpful regarding my D1, so I dont plan of leaving you guys any time soon

If all goes well - I'll be getting my hands on a nice 04 Disco II located 2000 miles away in North Dakota. Probably be a month or so before I pick it up but I wanted to get some pointers from the community regarding the trip.

1.) How do these newer Disco's fair on such long trips?

2.) Things I should bring with me (tools etc) keep in mind I'll be taking a bus to ND, and I dont want to be suspected of terrorism because I'm bringing a medium sized tool box full of "rover specific" tools on a greyhound bus!

3.) This will be my first Disco 2 so things I should take note of and look for?

4.) Any precautions I should take? Presumably I should purchase some extra coolant/antifreeze, maybe afew quarts of oil and fuel injector cleaner as well (after I pick up the Disco - before I make my trip home).

Any other members take there Disco 2 on such a "Long Haul"?

Old 08-23-2011, 05:37 PM
Banned

Haven't decided which route I will take yet, however if someone from the forum is in route or close to - and is looking for a few small D1 parts (driveshafts, etc) I'd be willing to bring along the parts for a person to person quick sale. Could schedule a time to meet and hand over the part for cash of course. LImit to how many parts and the weight. Nothing larger or heavier then a driveshaft!

At the moment I'm looking at the following route: North Dakota, Minnesota, Wisconsin, Michigan, New York, Vermont and finally to New Hampshire.

Old 08-25-2011, 04:25 PM
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

What did you do, hit the lottery?

With one that new and that low a milage, it should not be an issue unless it is a real dog.

Much different that the one you started with I'd say.

Old 08-25-2011, 07:09 PM
TReK
Received 161 Likes on 136 Posts

As Frank Zappa once said, "the torture, the torture, the torture never stops." It was my hope (and I know I'm not alone) you'd get a Honda and be done with your Rover flirtation. Perchance to dream.

On another note, is it even possible for you to make a post on any of these boards without trying to sell some of your crap????

Old 08-25-2011, 07:22 PM
TReK

Nevermind.

Old 08-25-2011, 08:56 PM
Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts

You will pass right by AB hopefully you wont need a head gasket kit before then.

Old 08-26-2011, 12:05 AM
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

You do knpw the DII came with the double cardon non greasable u-joint drive shaft don't you?

It is infamous for crapping out at highway speeds and destroying the tranny case and cats. If it is the original, I would insist the seller go ahead and get that taken care of before you go for such a long ride to improve your chances of making it.

Did you get rid of your DI carcass yet?

Old 08-26-2011, 12:23 PM
Winching
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I had a 2000 D2 that I took everywhere but it had the 4.0...does this '04 have the 4.6? If so and I'd ask Paul about this, they were notorious for f'n up as it was the same block just bored out to 4.6 and I think the #7 cylinder would let go but don't quote me, I'm hung over today and driving a Nissan Versa rental as my baby is having open hood surgery.

Old 08-26-2011, 06:32 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by Danny Lee 97 Disco
You do knpw the DII came with the double cardon non greasable u-joint drive shaft don't you?

It is infamous for crapping out at highway speeds and destroying the tranny case and cats. If it is the original, I would insist the seller go ahead and get that taken care of before you go for such a long ride to improve your chances of making it.

Did you get rid of your DI carcass yet?
Still parting out the D1. And yes I'm aware of the notorious front driveshaft issue with the D2 models -its abit frustrating seeing how driveshaft issues date back to the earliest disco models. But I'm hoping for the best. Better to be aware of the issue now before I get the D2 then be oblivious ... until its to late. I inquired about the condition of the front shaft and the seller said it makes no noises and there appears to be no wear or damage - I'll personaly inspect the shaft if the purchase goes through.

"If it is the original, I would insist the seller go ahead and get that taken care of before you go for such a long ride to improve your chances of making it."

Is there a remedy to this front driveshaft issue? I know they made an update kit for the early D1 models to replace the faulty flex coupler design, perhaps they made an update shaft for the D2?

Old 08-26-2011, 06:56 PM
TReK

Originally Posted by adigerol77
I had a 2000 D2 that I took everywhere but it had the 4.0...does this '04 have the 4.6? If so and I'd ask Paul about this, they were notorious for f'n up as it was the same block just bored out to 4.6 and I think the #7 cylinder would let go but don't quote me, I'm hung over today and driving a Nissan Versa rental as my baby is having open hood surgery.
I think anyone considering the purchase of a DII with a 4.6L needs to visit atancreti's repost of John Robison's article in Rovers North's magazine. According to him, by the time the 4.6 was offered in the DII "the last crop of engine blocks – those made from the late 1990s through the end of production in 2005 – are weaker than the blocks that came before.' Given the number of DII's I've seen with bad engines, he's not that far off the mark. That's not to say that plenty of engines were ruined by owners ignoring overheating signs but there is validity to John's assertions.

The DII was certainly a beautiful Rover but from what I've seen, I feel like the DI is holding up better over time.

Quick Reply: 04 Disco II "Long Haul"