Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

04 Disco will not start - cold

Search this Thread

Old 11-12-2019, 05:42 PM
TReK
Received 1,151 Likes on 796 Posts

Just an update while waiting for a new CPS I did some research on simple troubleshooting :

I can't confirm this for certain,yet, but a simple test appears to be cranking your engine over while watching the tach.
If the CPS is working you should get a bit of tach reading, 200 RPM more or less, if the needle does not budge it "could" indicate a dead CPS.

Old 11-12-2019, 05:59 PM
Camel Trophy
Received 1,463 Likes on 1,039 Posts

Originally Posted by Richard Gallant
Just an update while waiting for a new CPS I did some research on simple troubleshooting :

I can't confirm this for certain,yet, but a simple test appears to be cranking your engine over while watching the tach.
If the CPS is working you should get a bit of tach reading, 200 RPM more or less, if the needle does not budge it "could" indicate a dead CPS.
And yours does...?

My troubleshooting is easier, always keep more than one running Disco around, then you can swap parts. 4 is even better.

Old 11-12-2019, 06:09 PM
TReK

@Extinct Pretty sure my CPS is toast but it gave none of the standard signs it just quit.
I figured I might as well spend the time testing all the methods of confirming it is the CPS - the new one is still a few days out.
Then maybe I can produce a basic not start troubleshooting guide for the next guy, there are some fuses and relays to test yet as well.

Old 11-13-2019, 06:04 AM
Received 393 Likes on 306 Posts

Usually the cps Fails when it’s warm that’s why guys here used to dump water on it for it to start again
from reading here if it’s the cps you wouldn’t get any spark

Old 11-13-2019, 06:07 AM
Received 393 Likes on 306 Posts

Originally Posted by Richard Gallant
@The Deputy Moving the Disco was easy - just really shortening up my tow strap and used my brother's jeep to tow it up - some days my mind is just mush.

Could be the connector but I have a new one ordered, if I get a chance I will pull the connector and examine.

It occurs to me I had a couple of slow hard start - turned over more than usual so it may have been slowly failing.

I bet your brother has a ball with you and the disco lol
he probably has none of these issues with the Jeep

Old 11-13-2019, 10:02 AM
TReK

@redwhitekat lol, it is an old carburetor CJ style jeep so no he does not. It is a sign of of how tired I have been that I looked at his jeep and then tried to figure out how to get my Disco up the driveway manually.

As to my failure, I had a few hard starts in the summer, a few extra turns before the Disco turned over. Then on my last trip running through deep water she kind gutted out just at the end but recovered. Then fine drove around on the Monday after without issue but only shutdown once. Hit the car wash cleaned my wheel wells and rad engine running, got home shutdown and no start the next day.

So far I have checked the fuel pump relay/fuse both good I have a box of spare relays.
I am putting together a list of fuses and relays related to the ignition to verify all of those

I had an Xterra years ago that did the warm no-start exactly twice before failure so I sort of been through this before, the Xterra was a distributor replacement though.

And of course the only code thrown was a 1170 and the Disco ran fine in spite of it showing up, I monitored the 02 sensors and one would drop out every now and then. So it is dying or the connector is bad, that gets checked when I do the CPS.

Old 11-13-2019, 11:53 AM
Camel Trophy
Received 1,189 Likes on 850 Posts

Checking spark should be an easy one, pull a plug wire and place a screwdriver in the plug wire, hold it close to metal object and have someone crank it over (hold on to the handle of screwdriver, not shaft...or you will find out the hard way you have spark...lol). This will help tell you if it is crank sensor or fuel pump issue. Also, check fuse #23 (I believe) it is for the coil packs and check ignition relay (bottom one right hand side (both in drivers compartment fuse box), these both control spark. The relay had fallen out of my 03, this way when I bought it. I replaced the CPS and still no start, checked fuse #23, good, touched relay and it fell out on the floor...put it in...started right up.

Brian.

Old 11-13-2019, 12:01 PM
TReK

@The Deputy thanks Brian that is part of this evening's work - no rain to day . I have an inline spark tester but my plug wires are on there good so I have been waiting for a dry day to ease one off with some plug wires the boots move primary wire stays. I really do not want to screw one up.

Old 11-13-2019, 03:34 PM
TReK

Perfection CPS arrived installed and a nice happy engine sound.

A couple things removal and install on sensor 30 minutes total

fing around with that plug an hour - does the plug go into the bracket or hang loose - mine was loose but that does not seem right

Last edited by Richard Gallant; 11-13-2019 at 03:37 PM.
The following users liked this post:
The Deputy (11-14-2019)
Old 11-13-2019, 05:36 PM
Camel Trophy
Received 1,463 Likes on 1,039 Posts

Goes in the bracket, but I leave it hanging. Most of those brackets are there to make it easy on the guys on the assembly line, they don't care how hard it is for you to replace later. Hence the coils in the back of the manifold. I dream of going to the Land Rover Factory and having an *** kicking contest in the engineering department...

The following users liked this post:
Richard Gallant (11-13-2019)

Quick Reply: 04 Disco will not start - cold