Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

04 Disco won't start

Search this Thread

Old 07-02-2018, 07:10 PM
Overlanding
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Unhappy 04 Disco won't start

OK, I'm brand new to this forum, so be gentle. I have had sooo many problems with this truck, but my mechanic finally has it purring, but the alarm system will lock it up every so often and at random. I decided I just wouldn't lock the doors and for weeks now it's been great, but a few days ago I came home in a pouring down rain and got something out of the back door and didn't notice that I didn't get the door completely shut in the storm. The next morning It wouldn't start again, so I just took my other car to work. I found the hatch open when I got home. I first thought I had drained the battery, but all the dash lights and sounds are OK and the headlights, radio, and air all work. I put a jumper on it and it read the battery at 12.5 volts. I found the key code and tried it several times....nothing....there is a zero in the code, I thought maybe I wasn't doing it right?????? I'm ashamed to call my mechanic again, because that last time I took it over it had started as I had called for a tow and they never could get it to lock up......HELP.....I'm just an old lady wanting to drive her Disco!

Old 07-02-2018, 09:19 PM
Three Wheeling
Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by jamest47
OK, I'm brand new to this forum, so be gentle. I have had sooo many problems with this truck, but my mechanic finally has it purring, but the alarm system will lock it up every so often and at random. I decided I just wouldn't lock the doors and for weeks now it's been great, but a few days ago I came home in a pouring down rain and got something out of the back door and didn't notice that I didn't get the door completely shut in the storm. The next morning It wouldn't start again, so I just took my other car to work. I found the hatch open when I got home. I first thought I had drained the battery, but all the dash lights and sounds are OK and the headlights, radio, and air all work. I put a jumper on it and it read the battery at 12.5 volts. I found the key code and tried it several times....nothing....there is a zero in the code, I thought maybe I wasn't doing it right?????? I'm ashamed to call my mechanic again, because that last time I took it over it had started as I had called for a tow and they never could get it to lock up......HELP.....I'm just an old lady wanting to drive her Disco!
I wouldn’t think water entering the vehicle through the rear door would cause an issue like this but you mentioned that the alarm system acts up and sporadically locks the doors. Have you disconnected the battery for 10-15 minutes to see if the alarm will reset? Replaced the key fob battery?

I bought a DII three months ago and literally the first thing I did after taking possession of the car was removing the fuse for the door locks. I then drove it directly to a independent Land Rover shop and paid them $100 to disable super lock and the anti-theft system.

I then plugged the power lock fuse back in.

The following users liked this post:
jamest47 (07-03-2018)
Old 07-02-2018, 09:42 PM
Overlanding

The works to the remote were stolen when I bought the truck, so I use the key for everything. The truck's starting system locks up, not the doors, but I think you are right on about the alarm system being disabled.....do you think my mechanic can do that? I have to drive 150 miles to the nearest LR dealer, but if that meant my truck would start, I would do it. Do you have any idea how I could get it to start now, perhaps disconnecting the battery? I really appreciate your taking the time to answer this as everyone in my family and friends are trying to get me to get rid of my D II, and I really love driving it. Thanks sooo much!

Old 07-03-2018, 03:48 AM
Camel Trophy
Received 1,184 Likes on 849 Posts

Does it make any sound, when you turn the key to the crank position? Could be something as simple as bad cable connections; at battery, starter or ground cable to engine. Starter could be bad also. Rule out the simple stuff first, before going crazy looking for something that isn't there (like super lock or security ststem).

Have somebody slide underneath and jump the two terminals on the starter and see if it cranks.

Brian.

jamest47 (07-03-2018)
Old 07-03-2018, 03:27 PM
Overlanding

This truck has been in the shop too many times to mention, and everything has been checked and rechecked except the alrm system. Until the other night was the longest it had been driven since I bought it (2 yrs in Oct) and that was because I didn't lock it all that time. Oh, I do hear something when the key is in the crank position.....not the engine turning over, a quieter sound.

Last edited by jamest47; 07-03-2018 at 03:31 PM.
Old 07-03-2018, 04:53 PM
Pro Wrench
Received 366 Likes on 285 Posts

That sound may have been your wallet gasping for air. I agree that you should look at the simple stuff first. Leaving the back hatch open in the rain should not kill the battery. My 04 will extinguish the interior lights if a door is left open too long. The wet weather could have impacted your grounds though, and the ability of the battery to pass sufficient voltage through the starter, despite the rest of the car's electrics seemingly being ok. Unfortunately if you don't want to go back to the mechanic, you will need to enlist the help of a mechanically inclined individual to help you with further testing. Using the keyboard probably won't be enough. You haven't posted your location but perhaps there's an upstanding forum member in your area who'd be willing to give you a hand. After the online help, that's the next best thing about these forums. The next recommendation I'd give you is to get Triple AAA, at least then you get a free lift to the mechanic should you need to go. You shouldn't feel embarrassed about calling him back, after all this is a Rover. As I'm finding out, unless you have unlimited funds, you'd either better be a mechanic or be related to one to successfully campaign one of these trucks as reliable form of transportation.

jamest47 (07-03-2018)
Old 07-03-2018, 04:59 PM
Overlanding

My wallet has been bruised badly since I acquired this vehicle for sure.....and I got AAA just for the Disco! I am in Columbia, MO if there is anyone nearby that just needs a Rover fix.....no pun intended.....let me know!

Old 07-03-2018, 05:43 PM
Mudding
Received 39 Likes on 31 Posts

Does the vehicle crank but not start, or no crank no start? Since you mention alarm system, I assume it does not crank or start...Without having vehicle in front of us its pretty difficult to diagnose car problems over the internet...
Either way I would get it back to mechanic and tell him whats up....

jamest47 (07-03-2018)
Old 07-03-2018, 06:08 PM
Overlanding

The dash lights come on, the radio and air come on, there is a quiet sound like something running under the hood, no crank, no start.....then it may just start up out of the blue the first try on another day.....I've tried it everyday for a week, however, no change.

Old 07-03-2018, 06:44 PM
Super Moderator
Received 2,266 Likes on 1,674 Posts

What is the red alarm light doing during all this not starting stuff?

jamest47 (07-03-2018)

Quick Reply: 04 Disco won't start