Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

04 Discovery 11

Search this Thread

Old 08-21-2015, 06:06 PM
8th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 04 Discovery 11

2004 Discovery 11. Great shape bad motor. $1500. Located in Fayetteville NY

Old 08-21-2015, 07:15 PM
Camel Trophy
Received 971 Likes on 646 Posts

Discovery II (2)*

What do you mean by bad engine? Blown gaskets? Rod knock? Slipped liner?

If it's just head gaskets then it's an ok deal, head gaskets are relatively simple if you're mechanically inclined and can be done in your garage for about $500. If the engine needs a total rebuild then that's not a great deal. I bought one with a trashed block for 1k and even that was on the top end of reasonable.

Old 08-21-2015, 07:17 PM
8th Gear

No idea. Purchased a used engine to replace Bad one. Mechanic screwed that one up as well

Old 08-21-2015, 07:20 PM
8th Gear

Not sure. Mechanic told me engine was bad replaced it with one I bought used and my mechanic screwed that one up as well

Old 08-21-2015, 08:23 PM
Camel Trophy
Received 246 Likes on 231 Posts

What a nightmare. Sounds like you are done with it. I wish I was closer I'd give it a look. Good luck. You should post some pictures.

Old 08-21-2015, 08:25 PM
8th Gear

Thanks. It really was a nightmare. Any idea how to post pics? Any idea if that price is fair or not. Any help certainly is appropriated

Old 08-21-2015, 08:39 PM
Camel Trophy

Originally Posted by Nicedisco
Thanks. It really was a nightmare. Any idea how to post pics? Any idea if that price is fair or not. Any help certainly is appropriated
It is a pain in the butt. There are probably a lot of ways to do it but I upload them to photobucket and then you click on the picture to get the "direct link". Go back to your post here and position the cursor, then click on the image icon above the post dialog. Then paste that direct link. It does the rest.

Old 08-21-2015, 09:34 PM
Camel Trophy
Received 971 Likes on 646 Posts

Oh! Are you selling it? I thought you were asking if that was a fair price. If you're selling then an administrator will likely move this to the for sale section.

I usually use imgur.com because you don't need a profile to upload, then you just copy the link, click the little image button above your typie box, and paste the link.

Old 08-21-2015, 09:50 PM
Camel Trophy

I paid 900 for a a 2003 with a bad head gasket but still driveable about a month ago. Zero rust but I live in the south. It is worth far more than that for parts and I thought that price was a steal.

Basically you are selling to such a limited group of people, meaning the ones who have the knowledge and money to fix it or the ability and time to sell parts from it or need a whole truck worth of parts, I don't know what a fair price is. As someone mentioned, maybe Alex, the typical "blown engine" on a Discovery is just the head gasket. You will get more for it of that is the only problem, so it would be worth quizzing the mechanic. And, as he also mentioned, you can replace a head gasket in your driveway for about 500 bucks, including the cost of basic tools. It would be worth even more, running. I've done it three times and I am as far from a mechanic as you will ever find.

A mechanic might charge 1500 to 2500 to do a head gasket. So most poeple think that if they add that the purchase price to that figure, how does that compare with the blue book or whatever book value, plus the time and trouble and chance of other problems.

Bad situation. But it can be made better by fixing it yourself and the forums here can tell you everything you need to know.

Good luck.

Old 08-21-2015, 10:23 PM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 91 Likes on 81 Posts

Picture paints a thousand words. A video blows a picture away.

Make a YouTube video of it. Post a link.
2004 Discovery 11. Great shape bad motor. $1500. Located in Fayetteville NY