Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

04 Discovery G4 Front doors will lock but not unlock need some clarification

Search this Thread

Old 10-12-2022, 11:08 AM
Three Wheeling
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default 04 Discovery G4 Front doors will lock but not unlock need some clarification

Hopefully someone can give me some clarification about a previous post i was reading.

All my doors will lock with remote and with switch. Only rears will unlock wit hremote AND master switch.

I read something about an IDM and checking relays on another post. Can someone please expound on how to do this and the steps before I do tearing things apart. I am giving the rig to my father in law and trying not to throw a bunch of more resources at it but this is a must.

If I do have to replace the actuators I read something about just replacing the motors, has anyone done this? If so, steps or pics?

Thanks Gentlemen

Old 10-12-2022, 04:33 PM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 280 Likes on 182 Posts

I’m unsure of the procedure you are looking at regarding relays, but it does seem feasible. However, if you do end up replacing the actuator, I can tell you this after doing a few myself: I was going to do the simple motor replacement, and I’m not sure how anyone could do it without breaking the part. It is seriously convoluted in there with varying screws and clips (which all break) and was just more effort than I was willing to undertake. If I could get a spare, I’d like to try it again, but for the level of effort, it’s not worth it to me, although I wish I could have done it not only to save money, but also think it’s pretty cool when you can rebuild a part as opposed to just replacing it.

Old 12-08-2022, 09:55 PM
4wd Low
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Idm

The idm fuse and relay module is located in the dash compartment below the steering wheel. I had a relay problem with mine and replaced the entire module from ebay. The relays are not replaceable. The relay part is discontinued and I could not find a direct replacement. In addition, rover made these modules in a questionable manner with two circuit boards sandwiched together and soldered around the perimeter with about 92 pins if I remember the number properly. I have one disassembled in my shop and I have been working on an outboard relay board with relays in sockets. I know my used ebay unit will eventually fail again.

Old 12-09-2022, 04:36 AM
Camel Trophy
Received 850 Likes on 619 Posts

Does the driver door unlock using the key in the door handle?