Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

04 Discovery II goes into limp mode when shifting into neutral

Search this Thread

Old 12-26-2022, 06:32 PM
Overlanding
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 04 Discovery II goes into limp mode when shifting into neutral

After fixing the problem with my XYZ switch, my discovery was running great 300-400 miles later the m & s green lights start flashing and goes into limp mode when I switch into neutral (transmission). I can here clicking around the transfer case shifter. Would a bad TC solenoid cause this to happen if its faulty. Can I unplug from back of the TC to see if its goes away.??

Thanks, Bub

Old 12-26-2022, 06:42 PM
TReK
Received 524 Likes on 454 Posts

I don’t know if this is your issue but I know that low battery and/or alternator voltage will cause a lot of transmission faults. It doesn’t need to be very low either.

Old 12-26-2022, 06:56 PM
Overlanding

Voltage is good 14.3 when under load and at idle. It won't let me shift past N before it starts clicking. And only will do it when the Disco is running. Thanks for replying.

Bub

Last edited by betzdII; 12-26-2022 at 06:58 PM.
Old 12-27-2022, 11:11 AM
Pro Wrench
Received 366 Likes on 285 Posts

The TC case solenoid only prohibits you from move the lever from High to Low (or back), and would be unlikely to cause this problem if it were faulty. You simply won't be able to move the lever. My first through would XYZ switch, despite having just replaced it. Have you gone back under to verify the connections are good, both electrical and mechanical?

Old 12-27-2022, 01:06 PM
Overlanding

Originally Posted by ahab
The TC case solenoid only prohibits you from move the lever from High to Low (or back), and would be unlikely to cause this problem if it were faulty. You simply won't be able to move the lever. My first through would XYZ switch, despite having just replaced it. Have you gone back under to verify the connections are good, both electrical and mechanical?
Yes I actually took it apart again to make sure everything looked good inside. reinstalled it same thing.

Old 12-27-2022, 02:49 PM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 212 Likes on 139 Posts

There is a solenoid in the transmission shifter to keep you in park with the key out. Is that maybe the clicking you are hearing ? The M&S lights flash for over a dozen different reasons. The primary cause is low battery voltage when starting the vehicle. I just had this issue even though the battery tested ok it was borderline enough to drop voltage enough during cranking to make the M&S lights go off. I got a new group 27 battery and it’s fixed.

I would get the transmission codes read first to see what the code is. I believe autozone (depending on the scanner they have) can read the trans codes.

Old 12-27-2022, 03:46 PM
Overlanding

Originally Posted by zski128
There is a solenoid in the transmission shifter to keep you in park with the key out. Is that maybe the clicking you are hearing ? The M&S lights flash for over a dozen different reasons. The primary cause is low battery voltage when starting the vehicle. I just had this issue even though the battery tested ok it was borderline enough to drop voltage enough during cranking to make the M&S lights go off. I got a new group 27 battery and it’s fixed.

I would get the transmission codes read first to see what the code is. I believe autozone (depending on the scanner they have) can read the trans codes.
I have the console out of the car so I could check grounds. I can feel the clicking right in front of the trans shifter and while holding the transfer case shifter I can feel the clicking more pronounced. The interlock solenoid alongside the trans shifter only clicks when I depress the brake pedal to release it out of park. It does not click at all once in r,n,d,1,2,3. I don't get a code just the flashing M&S lights. As soon as I shift into N it starts clicking immediately then M&S lights blink. I'm totally confused. I'm also wondering if the transfer case switch is making the noise?

Last edited by betzdII; 12-27-2022 at 03:57 PM.
Old 12-27-2022, 07:24 PM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 212 Likes on 139 Posts

In the 03 and 04 models neutral lockout solenoid is in the shifter rather than in the transfer case in previous models. I don’t know why that would be clicking, never heard of that problem. Do you have a scanner that can read the transmission codes? A consumer grade scanner generally can read them. If the M&S lights are flashing then you definitely have a code.

Old 12-28-2022, 05:37 AM
Overlanding

Originally Posted by zski128
In the 03 and 04 models neutral lockout solenoid is in the shifter rather than in the transfer case in previous models. I don’t know why that would be clicking, never heard of that problem. Do you have a scanner that can read the transmission codes? A consumer grade scanner generally can read them. If the M&S lights are flashing then you definitely have a code.
I get no codes, but when I clear the no codes listed it clears the M&S (if that makes sense). or Turn the key off and on clears the M&S also. All I know is when I move the selector to N it clicks and the M&S lights start blinking.

Bub

Old 12-28-2022, 03:57 PM
Pro Wrench
Received 438 Likes on 298 Posts

Did you replace the XYZ switch with new or used? You can remove the center console and check the diff locking solenoid for the the 'click...at least then you can tell if that is the noise source and work from there....

might be a faulty xyz....

Quick Reply: 04 Discovery II goes into limp mode when shifting into neutral