Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

04 Discovery Won't Start - Fuel pump?

Search this Thread

Old 10-19-2014, 06:51 PM
Three Wheeling
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 04 Discovery Won't Start - Fuel pump?

Been searching the forums, but find mostly threads on the crankshaft position sensor. Doesn't seem to be my issue though. Here's the background...

After a trip to Home Depot, I was starting the truck. It started up, but took an extra crank from normal. It got my attention, but everything seemed fine. After a few miles, I stopped at a convenience store. The truck started up just fine after that. A mile down the road, everything goes awry. Engine cut out, but all electrical was fine. Had multiple lights turn on including blinking M and S lights. I seemed to still have a little power (It felt like 3% of usual power) which allowed me to roll the truck into the safety of a gas station parking lot. After shutting down the truck, it would not start. After a half hour, it would not start. After an hour, it would not start. After a two hour tow, it would not start. It will crank, but does not give a hint of ignition.

What do you think? Fuel pump? Doesn't seem like the usual cps story.

Old 10-19-2014, 06:58 PM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 24 Likes on 21 Posts

check your fuel pressure at the rail?

Old 10-19-2014, 07:04 PM
Three Wheeling

Haven't had a chance to yet. Just walked in the house. Walk me through the process (please).

Old 10-19-2014, 07:14 PM
Recovery Vehicle

Originally Posted by DSCVRY
Haven't had a chance to yet. Just walked in the house. Walk me through the process (please).
Get a fuel pressure test kit. You may be able to borrow one from autozone or one of the box parts stores for a refundable deposit.

The shrader valve for testing is behind and between the intake and firewall right above the coils.

Follow your plug wires back there and you'll be right at it. (back end of the fuel rail)

Connect up the fuel pressure gauge to the shrader valve (looks like a valve stem on a tire and should have a cap on it) crank the engine over and see what kind of pressure you have.

Also you may want to download a copy of the rave workshop manual. There is a link on here to that download. Search the forums for rave download or rave manual. I'm not sure exactly who has that link, may be in the write-ups at the top.

also pull a few of the plugs and wires and crank over to see if getting spark.

May not be the problem but would be some of the first things I would check. Fuel and spark.

Others may chime in who have had the same problem with other common things to check.

Last edited by RicketyTick; 10-19-2014 at 08:16 PM.
Old 10-19-2014, 07:18 PM
Three Wheeling

Thanks. Yeah, I have the RAVE. Definitely a Land Rover life saver. As are these forums. Disco Mike and Savannah have definitely solved my issues more than once.

Old 10-19-2014, 07:26 PM
Recovery Vehicle

Originally Posted by DSCVRY
Thanks. Yeah, I have the RAVE. Definitely a Land Rover life saver. As are these forums. Disco Mike and Savannah have definitely solved my issues more than once.
Yeah I don't know where they went. drowssap and offroadfrance are alot of help along with others. Being a weekend not sure if they are around.

Old 10-19-2014, 08:16 PM
Camel Trophy
Received 401 Likes on 385 Posts

Honestly as far as fuel pressure your just hoping for ANY pressure at the rail as a real quick check. No need for gauges unless it's a start then stall, start/stall. Then you'll want the pump's pressure reading to check it against spec. When a pump fails it fails, won't come back by magic. If you have pressure at the rail then check for spark. Air/fuel/spark. Air's kinda the easy one eh.....

Old 10-19-2014, 08:20 PM
Camel Trophy

Originally Posted by RicketyTick
Yeah I don't know where they went. drowssap and offroadfrance are alot of help along with others. Being a weekend not sure if they are around.
I haven't heard from Mike in a long time, we used to make fun of him allot! Busy Buzz Buzz I haven't seen in a long while as well. I don't know if he still owns a Rover or not, with all the threadserts in his block it's a wonder if it's still held together.

Old 10-19-2014, 08:36 PM
Recovery Vehicle

Originally Posted by ihscouts
I haven't heard from Mike in a long time, we used to make fun of him allot! Busy Buzz Buzz I haven't seen in a long while as well. I don't know if he still owns a Rover or not, with all the threadserts in his block it's a wonder if it's still held together.

Good thinking on the fuel pressure.

Yeah "give me a call I'll walk you through it" I never could figure that one out.
I figured he must sell parts or something and once he had you on the phone he could talk you into something. That was just my guess???

and yeah after the intake thing with buzz I probably would have washed my hands of it.

Old 10-19-2014, 09:24 PM
Camel Trophy

I tried to get Buzz to settle down because although his efforts (helping others) where ambitious his knowledge of the specifics - Rover specifics - needed a little more time to mature. Mike was just a good guy with lousy typing skills. He could tell you how to fix it quicker over the phone than typing it. He meant well but old fashioned.

My "good thinking" comes from forced reasoning, how to get out of a situation while on the side of the road or deep in the woods. You know, things like that. Besides, Rovers are my "hobby". I've been doing Rover head gasket and other sundry fix jobs for four years now. I can do a D1 in less than a weekend and they come out perfecto'. Every step well orchestrated, heads at the shop for a shave in about three hours. DII's take about three weekends. There's so much more pollution wise to remove and none of it's easy to get to. Rover built the engine like a seriously steroidal layer cake and my back kills me when I get done. It's supplemental income but I love working on Rovers more than the money. There's a certain grace to how they're built and I am fully on board.

Quick Reply: 04 Discovery Won't Start - Fuel pump?