Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

04 LRD S, info please?

Search this Thread

Old 09-16-2008, 12:40 PM
Three Wheeling
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 04 LRD S, info please?

Well, I'm starting over with a 2004 Disco, S, or SE, I haven't picked it up yet. Black with Tan leather, all power, 76K miles for $8,000 cash. From a wholesale lot this Sat. I am a avid offroader but have always had Jeeps. I wanted to buy a Rubicon but they are expensive and I really like these Land Rovers plus I like the insides and four doors. When I was in Iraq, the Brits had some military versions and they were capable. Now, I don't know anything about these, so I hope you experts can help me. #1-What axles and gear raitio does this thing have and are they as capable as dana44's with 411's? As Strong? What about the transfercase? Just by climbing underneath it seemed that the axles were very Stout looking! I am defenatly going to build this as a family trail rig, so I want to skid plate the underside, 4inch lift, 33's,arb bumbers, winch, cab carrier on top, then air lockers. now depending on the stock ring and pinion, maybe 411's. Are they high pinion axels? What do you guys think? I want to do it right! I'll send some pics this weekend! I have alot of learning to do with these. Thanks to all

Old 09-16-2008, 01:30 PM
Team Owner
Received 95 Likes on 72 Posts
Default RE: 04 LRD S, info please?

Well first off you MUST use premium gas. You MUST rebuild the front driveshaft and replace all the u-joints with the greaseable type.
You wont need a 4" lift unless you are doing some serious rock crawling and then if that is the case it wont be a family truck.
Stock you will be looking at 12-14 in town and 16-18 highway. If you put super swampers on you will get like 2 mpg.
That big of a lift youi will need to remove the roto-flex from the rear driveshaft and replaceit with a different driveshaft.
You will only need underarmor for the steering and fuel tank. Everything else is tucked up inside the frame.
That kind of lift you will need to dump the air ride suspension as well as the 18" rims.
These ARE the most capable off road trucks you can get from the factory, I suggest that you first take it out in stock form and see what they will do. Not much is different from the Military version to the consumer version.
Congrat's on your new purchase.

Old 09-16-2008, 01:56 PM
Three Wheeling

Ok, so if I stay with a 2-3 inch lift can I keep the air ride suspension? What axles does it have and do they mach up with a dana44? What gear ratio is it? I want ARB air lockers, should I change gears while I have them apart? I can't find any info on the axles or gears??? What are they? Will a K&N and exausthelp the mpg?Why premium gas? Thanks Spike555

Old 09-16-2008, 02:02 PM
Recovery Vehicle

You can keep the SLS, until it (the pump or an airbag) fails. There is a conversion kit to switch to coils. For HD axles you're pretty much stuck with GBR (Great Basin Rovers) as it seems they have the market cornered. There is Ashcroft, but you'll have to pay shipping across the pond. Don't bother with the K&N air filter it'll destroy your MAF.

Old 09-16-2008, 02:13 PM
Team Owner

Dont quote me on it but I think the axle ratio is 3.96:1. The truck has traction control and a central locking differential, with those you are almost as good as lockers.
If you stay under 3" you can keep theSLS.
You MUST use premium gas because that is what these are designed to run on. If you run regular you will lose MPG and carbon the exhaust valves so bad that you will be doing a valve job inside of 50,000 miles. Not to mention the sludge build up inside the engine from the oil breaking down.
These trucks do not have EGR valves to keep the combustion temps low, so by using the wrong grade of gas the combustion temps are to high and then the oil just bakes inside the valve covers and the valley pan.
A K&N air filter will cost you a new MAF sensor. And no a K&N air filter or high flow exhaust will not net you any more MPG or horse power. Its just the nature of the beast. Small V8 and a 6,000lbs truck=not a sports car. But you can climb mountains and pull a 7,000 lb trailer.
Flush the coolant every 45,000 miles or 3 yrs, which ever is sooner. Flush the brake fluid every 2 yrs no matter the mileage.

Old 09-16-2008, 02:58 PM
Three Wheeling

Thanks fellas, Can you tell me what the axels are and if they machup to dana44's. Now you say the 4wd is like having lockers. So, on these do they lock all four wheels once it starts to slip? I,ve watched some disco videos and it seemed like they needed lockers, but you guys are the proes! Iv'e seen onthat some members on here have HD axels, lockers and 411 gears, so is all that a waist of money? What is the HD axels?I'm sure if I just put a 3 inch lift and some 265-285 tires with bumbers, winch, and rack,It will be capable. Should I go 3' and will that fit a 33'tire which I think is 285? It does have a little ticking noise that I think is an exaust leak, I hope it is no lifter.

Old 09-16-2008, 03:40 PM
Recovery Vehicle

It doesn't lock all 4 wheels, for that you will still need ARB's. The CDL (Center Differential Lock) delivers 50/50 torque to the front and rear axles. If a wheel (say, in the rear) has lost traction the front still gets the other 50% of the power to (hopefully) pull you through. So basically CDL unlocked and 1 wheel spinning you're stopped. With the CDL locked and you're cross axled with a front and rear wheel spinning you're stopped. However, the TC can kick in (once a tire starts to spin) and can help a lot too. HD axles, 4.11 gears and lockers aren't a waste of money it's more of how hard do you want to push the truck. If you're looking to build a family trail rig you probably won't need those items yet.

If you wanted to keep it simple at the begining, you can go with a 2" lift and 245/75/R16 tires without the need to trim anything to avoid rubbing. You can keep the roto (it should still be inspected for cracks) and not have to worry about driveline angles, or extended brake/ABS lines. It will also be much less on the pocketbook too. Check out some of the vids in my sig link (any that start with RovrFlo) to get an idea of the setup I just listed can do. If you watch DesertCrawler he has the full setup you mention with the 3" lift, 285's, HD front and rear axles and lockers. There are also some stock vehicles in there too. There's about 3 pages of videos now.

Old 09-16-2008, 04:32 PM
Team Owner

https://landroverforums.com/m_76466/tm.htm
Check ouot the pics. He has a 2-3" lift and normal tires and he can go everywhere the big Jeeps can.
Like I said before, these ARE the most capable off road truck you can buy from the factory.
Like D2Guy said, with the trac control when one wheel starts to spin it will transfer power to the other wheel on the same axle.
Spinning wheel=no traction.
Non spinning wheel=traction and by locking the brake on the spinning wheel the power transfers to the non spinning wheel.
These trucks are full time four wheel drive, NOT all wheel drive and not part time four wheel drive. Once you take it on the trail you will wonder why you ever had a Jeep.

Old 09-16-2008, 05:08 PM
Three Wheeling

I like that green one in those pics. I'll have to go 3' with whatever size tire fits it. I'm exited about getting it this weekend. Whats the reason all of you have went with a landrover instead of a jeep? Especially since the Rubicon comes factory with Dana 44 axels, 411 gears, and air lockers, with 285 size tires!I still half to figure out what the axels are and gear ratio.

Old 09-16-2008, 05:39 PM
Team Owner

This is why I bought a Land Rover and not a Jeep.

Quick Reply: 04 LRD S, info please?