Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

'04 T-Case Purchase...

Search this Thread

Old 02-12-2012, 09:57 PM
TReK
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Finally got out to pick the case up tonight, had trouble coordinating schedules. Needless to say, I am S-T-O-K-E-D;

So now, my question is, what should I do prior to installing?

1. Solenoid (Mine failed on my stock case, can I just remove this with no ill effects?)---(And what is the point of the thing, if you can just remove it?)
2. Neutral Saftey Switch (I hear bad things about this, what can I do to prevent this biting me in the behind?)
3. Fluid (I'm going to a flush/fill and probably reseal the inspection plate, as it looks like there was little bit of leakage)

It's cool to see the T-case out of the truck to actually "see" everything.

Old 02-12-2012, 10:43 PM
Super Moderator
Received 97 Likes on 91 Posts

If its an 04, there shouldn't be a solenoid in the case. It was moved to the shifter for 03.

Old 02-12-2012, 11:06 PM
TReK

Originally Posted by jafir
If its an 04, there shouldn't be a solenoid in the case. It was moved to the shifter for 03.
Great to know, thank you.

Old 02-13-2012, 08:30 PM
Team Owner
Received 95 Likes on 72 Posts

The neutral safety switch is on the transmission, personally I'd get rid of it.
Same for the CDL interlock.
Reseal it, maybe replace the output shaft bearings.

Old 02-13-2012, 10:51 PM
TReK

Originally Posted by Spike555
The neutral safety switch is on the transmission, personally I'd get rid of it.
Same for the CDL interlock.
Reseal it, maybe replace the output shaft bearings.
Thank you sir...learn something new every day

What's the CDL interlock? Thanks for the tip on the bearings, seems like a good $60 to spend for a little extra peace of mind.

Old 02-14-2012, 06:25 AM
Rock Crawling
Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

As far as resealing goes make sure you replace the stuff you can't get to after yourtbox is installed. The tbox input seal, transmission output seal, and the tbox.intermediate shaft seals (o rings) To do the o rings just remove the intermediate shaft locking nut, prop the tbox on its side on an output flange and some blocks so the shaft is vertical, tap the shaft outabout 1 inch replace the oring on the shaft at the front, replace the oring in the tbox on the back (nut side) slide shaft back in and tighten locking nut and stake it (there is no crush collar for bearing preload on this intermediate shaft just shims). the reason you tilt the tbox on an output flange is so that the intermediate gearset does not drop or move. it's a heavy piece of metal, and is easier to keep in place than get back into place.

Old 02-15-2012, 12:30 PM
Overlanding
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I put a 2004 transfer case w/linkage in my 2001 Disco II a few months ago (paid $400.00). Keep track of the bolts that bolt the transfer case to the adapter plate. The bolts are of various lengths and you need to get them back in the correct spots.

Old 02-24-2012, 06:59 PM
TReK

Originally Posted by tulsadiver
I put a 2004 transfer case w/linkage in my 2001 Disco II a few months ago (paid $400.00). Keep track of the bolts that bolt the transfer case to the adapter plate. The bolts are of various lengths and you need to get them back in the correct spots.
Thanks for the insight. How did you keep track/mark them to remember? That's one thing I'm kinda paranoid about forgetting.

Luckily I've got a couple buddies with some experience that SHOULD be coming over to help/watch/laugh at me while I attempt this

Old 02-25-2012, 01:09 AM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 30 Likes on 22 Posts

YLo,
If you going to go to the trouble of resealing all the covers, seals and bearings there is a full kit you should consider from AB

Transfer Box Gasket & Seal Kit LT230 (RTC3890 Same Fit As Genuine Part # RTC3890) - Land Rover kits from Atlantic British

Bearings F&R Output
Bearing - Ball Type - Multi-Use (STC1130 Same Fit As Genuine Part # STC1130) - Land Rover clutch associated from Atlantic British

Heat Sink Oil Sump...Way cool (works on micro processors why not on your TC case
Write-up from our buddy in the UK.
www.discovery2.co.uk - Transfer box Sump

For only $97 to your door the billet oil sump heat sink can be yours from Lucky 8
Lucky8 Llc. - Take the road less traveled...

Might as well throw on the trick heat sink & added gear oil capacity. Might have to mod your exhaust a little to get it to fit, but maybe not. I resealed most all the covers on a 2002 case that I swaped out for the front output. I used gray Permatex RTV and it seemed fine for the guy who purchased it from me.

Old 02-25-2012, 01:24 AM
TReK

Thanks man. I got some advice from a couple Rover nuts (one is a tech), that advised me to leave the bearings well enough alone. I'm going to clean up the exterior, oil up all the linkages, new fluid, put new output shaft seals, mainshaft seal, and rear transmission seal and call it good.

That cooler is pretty sweet, tempting, but don't think I can justify it, wish I could though

Did you have any trouble removing the crossmember or the Y-pipe? Any tricks? Heat?

Quick Reply: '04 T-Case Purchase...