Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

12v or 24v Winch?

Search this Thread

Old 06-25-2009, 11:57 AM
Three Wheeling
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 12v or 24v Winch?

I have a 2000 Disco 2 and I am buying a Superwinch EPi9.0. Do I want the 12v or the 24v? Difference is over 250 bucks?
Also, does anyone know if the bolt pattern is the same for Warn and Superwinch? It will be bolted onto a Rovertym front bumper.

Old 06-25-2009, 12:03 PM
Administrator
Received 100 Likes on 82 Posts

How would you convert to 24 Volts?
Personally, I would rather run dual batteries, in my case Yellow Tops, and give a 12 volt winch all the extra power to pull myself out of any problem.

Attached Thumbnails 12v or 24v Winch?-dscf0001.jpg  
Old 06-25-2009, 12:11 PM
Three Wheeling

no idea why someone would convert to 24v. I'll order the yellow top battery also. DiscoMike...took your advice and bought the OME 751 Front and 762 rears. I also ordered 2 coil isolators from AtlBrit. Will I need to add one of these spacers on each side of the rear springs so that the truck is level?

Old 06-25-2009, 12:12 PM
Winching

Nice battery setup Mike! i would like to replace/upgrade my battery... do you mind me asking where I can get those?

Old 06-25-2009, 12:26 PM
Rock Crawling

You would only need a 24v winch if you were running it on a HD domestic pickup that has a 24v electrical system. There are quite a few out there, most are diesels, and if you ever need to jump one off, be careful. There are two batteries under the hood, and if you only hook jumper cables to one, you will start a fire.

Old 06-25-2009, 01:34 PM
Winching

I did a search for yellow top batteries and found out that they are Optima... I dont plan on getting a winch for my 99 D2, but if i were to get just the battery, what size would i need? im confused about the list of sizes they offer, and i am nowhere near my disco.. can anyone point me in the right direction?

Old 06-25-2009, 02:09 PM
Administrator

Originally Posted by mrossipir
no idea why someone would convert to 24v. I'll order the yellow top battery also. DiscoMike...took your advice and bought the OME 751 Front and 762 rears. I also ordered 2 coil isolators from AtlBrit. Will I need to add one of these spacers on each side of the rear springs so that the truck is level?
Wait till after you add your bumper, winch and batteries, then if still needing to level out the truck order some spacers and go from there.
If you want help on how to install the dual batteries, send me your tele number and I'll call you.
By the way, don't buy one of the dual battery switches, they are a waste of money.

Old 06-25-2009, 02:10 PM
Administrator

Originally Posted by JBEGIN
Nice battery setup Mike! i would like to replace/upgrade my battery... do you mind me asking where I can get those?
Send me your tele and I'll walk you thru how to mount the batteries and which to use.

Old 06-25-2009, 02:24 PM
Three Wheeling

Optimas are having quality control issues and are not honoring their warranties. Buyer beware! I have a couple of older Optimas and have never had a problem with them, but there are numerous horror stories of late. Do some research before you buy. There are a number of Absorbed Glass Mat (AGM) batteries out there that are packaged for different car parts stores (Napa, etc.) AGM Batteries are definitely worth the extra $ though, especially for severe use.
I don't think any HD Pickups have 24v systems. It's mostly over the road trucks and military trucks that run 24V systems. The over the road trucks actually have 12V accessories and just use the 24V for the starting system. My '05 Dodge diesel has two batteries, but they are in wired in parallel similar to Mikes set up. My Deuce and a half has two batteries wired in series and is a full 24V system. I built a step down transformer for it to pull 12V trailers with and for a 12V accessory outlet. I've had dual optimas on that for about six years and they start the truck easily in -17 degree weather. Look around though.
Also, in general if you do not draw down your batteries using heavy loads (such as a winch, power inverters, auxiliary lights, hot tub, etc) then there is no need to buy the yellow top or deep cycle batteries. A standard AGM battery is plenty. Plus a deep cycle battery is generally a bit more expensive and a bit heavier.

Old 06-25-2009, 02:31 PM
Winching

so I prolly should not do the optima yellow top as an upgrade? i dont have anything that needs that kind of power on my ride.... but in all fairness, my battery is quite corroded and sometimes i have trouble starting...

Quick Reply: 12v or 24v Winch?