Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

1993 Discovery Mpi / Starting problem

Search this Thread

Old 10-28-2008, 07:23 PM
2nd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 1993 Discovery Mpi / Starting problem

I just bought a 93 Discovery Mpi in great condition, rides fine. Second day I drove it and after a series of starts and stops I tried to start it and although the starter was turning strong I couldn't get any ignition as if the car was empty on fuel. Called road assistance, they as I thought was a problem with the fuel pump so towed the car home. Next morning though it started fine, first time around, so I drove the car with many starts and stops but when I tried to start it again the same night, same problem, starter turning strong but no sign of even an attempt to ignition. All the times it started, it started right away, and both times it didn't, I tried many times but nothing. If anyone can help me with some direction on this it would be greatly appreciated.

PN

[IMG]local://upfiles/11943/3FF41CB2D59E400785389BAC9E22A432.jpg[/IMG]

Old 10-28-2008, 07:29 PM
Team Owner
Received 95 Likes on 72 Posts
Default RE: 1993 Discovery Mpi / Starting problem

How mechanical are you?
Next time it happens remove a spark plug, reattach the plug wire and have a friend try and start the truck. If the spark plug sparks then it is a fuel problem.
If it doesnt spark then it is a electricl problem.

Old 10-28-2008, 07:31 PM
Mudding

lotta fuel pumps givin up the ghost lately

Old 11-03-2008, 02:29 PM
2nd Gear

Guys, thanks a million for you quick and fast replies I'm sorry I was traveling last week and couldn't respond earlier. Spike555 I'm not very mechanical although your trick my mechanic tried it last summer on my outboard Johnson 70 Hp cause the carborators were flooded so I know exactly what you mean I'll try it this weekend I get back home. Redhotbuzz I would also swear it's the fuel pump and ask to have it replaced, it's just that I just bought the car, and the first day I drove it it worked flawlessly and did this at night. Then the next day I tried it 2 days later it started right away worked great all day with many stops in between and did it again late at night. Only 2 days I drove the car in the last 2 weeks and the guy who sold it to me (family friend) swears in his life he never had this problem before. Do you think it may be an intermitent fuel pump? Is there such a thing as an intermitent fuel pump? I thought only electrical parts can have such problems not mechanical ones. In any case in the 2 days I drove it out of about 15 times I started it 13 was right away and 2 not at all even after many tries. All I got was the continous RATATATATA noise as if it was of gas. This weekend I'll try to resolve maybe with the help of a mechanic and hopefully the car won't start so I have to pay the mechanic for nothing.... Thank you all again and if you have any more suggestions or ideas please don't hesitate, I would realy appreciate them. Thanks again,

PN

Old 11-03-2008, 04:46 PM
Team Owner
Received 95 Likes on 72 Posts

We dont have any 4 cylinder Discoveries here in the US so we are at a slight disadvantage, but yes, fuel pumps can be intermintent.
They are electric, if it works at night but not during the day it might be a tempature related issue, its to hot it wont work, it cools off at night and then it works. Its a cooler day today than yesterday kinda thing and then it works. You get the point.
I would have your mechanic check the fuel pump first.