Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

1995 Disco white smoke out of exhaust ?

Search this Thread

Old 02-28-2008, 08:12 PM
Mudding
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Default 1995 Disco white smoke out of exhaust ?

I just purchased a 1995 Disco a few days ago for an extremely low price, $1750 compared to what i've found them listed for in this area.

He told me the intake gasket needed to be replaced and gave me one.

I'm just making sure that is what it could be, and not something else ?

Idles fine, drives great, no smells, just white smoke out exhaust (teeny bit)

Would appreciate all suggestions and helpful comments.

I've finally abandoned chevy's and big trucks and gone with my dream and purchased an excellent vehicle for me and my wife. Hope it's all good times from here out.

Old 02-28-2008, 08:16 PM
Winching
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: 1995 Disco white smoke out of exhaust ?

White smoke could also be a head gasket going. Gotta check the oil (dipstick and oil cap) for signs of coolant, also keep an eye on the coolant level and see how fast it drains. I'm not positive but I think a head gasket will drink coolant much faster than an intake gasket...but I'm not sure at all.

Why'd you abandon Chevy's ?

Old 02-28-2008, 08:41 PM
Team Owner
Received 95 Likes on 72 Posts

I am assuming that it isnt the smoke from the exhaust being cold. You know, being winter time and all.
I would have to say a head gasket. When the coolant enters the combustion chamber it burns off and basically turns to steam hence white smoke.
If it has been sitting for a long time in the cold there is extra moisture in everything and it could just be that moisture burning off.
Have the cooling system pressure tested and that will tell you for a fact if there is a leak.

Old 02-28-2008, 09:27 PM
Camel Trophy
Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

I'll throw out another one here, It could be your valve stem seals leaking oil into the combustion chamber. Your valves don't have carbon cutters on the stems, and if someone didn't run premium through, it could have carboned up your engine really bad.

Pull the plugs one by one and look for different colors. If you find one that looks steam cleaned, you know you have a head gasket leaking coolant. Do a search for the 60K service on here. It is a great list made up by DiscoMike and you should run through it, changing all fo your fluids. Just note that your truck takes ATF in the pwer steering pump, not p/s fluid.

Cheers

Old 02-29-2008, 01:26 AM
Mudding

I appreciate the quick responses, I drove for about 60 miles and it used almost a gallon of water?

I'm assuming that is a head gasket. I heard this is an all aluminum motor, so the heads are probably warped or cracked ?

Or just age ? it has 135k miles on it and was extremely well taken care of, i purchased from original owner.

Is there a how-to on doing head gaskets ?

I found a good kit for $200 that includes all gaskets and bolts online.

I appreciate all the help you guys have given on such short notice.

P.S. I abandoned Chevy's because I want to drive further without breaking down and fit through most drive-thru's haha....

Old 02-29-2008, 06:41 AM
TReK
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

ORIGINAL: kraelo

I appreciate the quick responses, I drove for about 60 miles and it used almost a gallon of water?

I'm assuming that is a head gasket. I heard this is an all aluminum motor, so the heads are probably warped or cracked ?
The head gaskets were the weak point, they were steel
with aluminum heads and block expanding at diff rates
it was just time.
New gaskets are not the same.

Old 02-29-2008, 07:29 AM
Camel Trophy
Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

I'm assuming that is a head gasket.

P.S. I abandoned Chevy's because I want to drive further without breaking down and fit through most drive-thru's haha....

Sounds like a head gasket to me... The bonus for you is that this motor is based on a 60's Buick pushrod engine. Pretty easy to do the heads.

Google the Rave CD and you can find free downloads of the pdf version. It has the entire workshop manual and electrical manual. Should be all you need. There are a few available on e-bay for under $10 if you don't have the bandwidth to download something that big..

In my experience, your abandonment may not have been the best choice. I have had several older model Chevrolets and have found them to be bullet proof. The Rover has never left me stranded, but she takes a lot of maintenance. If you slack on keeping her fixed, she will really let you know.

Good Luck!

Old 02-29-2008, 08:03 AM
Administrator
Received 99 Likes on 81 Posts

Or just age ? it has 135k miles on it and was extremely well taken care of, i purchased from original owner.

I found a good kit for $200 that includes all gaskets and bolts online.

I appreciate all the help you guys have given on such short notice.

Make sure the set you found is a Rover set, not an aftermarket set. If it isn't, go to Atlantic British and order theirs.

Old 02-29-2008, 03:05 PM
Mudding

What should I be replacing, just head gasket, intake gasket, and exhaust gasket on that side ?

Shop quoted me $300 labor not including parts 'who they would order through davison auto parts' and give a warranty on parts and labor ...

suggestions?

links?

thank you guys.

Old 02-29-2008, 03:54 PM
Administrator
Received 99 Likes on 81 Posts

I already answered part of that, Rover parts only, the full kit, including the intake manifold gasket, do both hears, have the heads inspected before reinstalling.
$300 is very cheap for labor, usually around $1100 at a goo shop, $2000 at a dealer, have they ever done a Rover before?

Quick Reply: 1995 Disco white smoke out of exhaust ?