Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

1996 Discovery ECM

Search this Thread

Old 02-02-2009, 06:12 PM
2nd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 1996 Discovery ECM

Hello all,

Just joined this board because run into a problem I can't solve without asking. This board has been a great source of information so far in other (numerous) problems. I have read about problems with similar kind of symptoms but no solution provided for those did not seem to apply to mine.

Here is a "short" description of the problem:

My 1996 Land Rover Discovery (with 129 tml) died second time last week during a minor snow storm and I had to get it towed back home for 10 miles. First and most annoying time for dying was while driving on Pennsylvania Turnpike around xmas time with same kind of very wet and stormy weather. I was able to recover from that by letting the car sit for few days in a dry place, it started with no problems and thought it wasn't anything too serious. In both occasions it died in similar way, the engine just stopped and some relays started clicking like crazy under the passenger's side dash.

Turning the power on and off from the key several times sometimes made the clicking go away, but the car would not start though it was cranking ok. Sometimes jumping would help it even starting. Anyway, after the second death while trying to diagnose this problem I noticed in my garage that also EVAP purge valve and some injectors were clicking in rhythm with the relays under the dash in addition of the fuel pump not engaging as it should for few seconds after power up. I have got the Electrical Troubleshooting Manual and was able to measure all the related EVAP and relay connections and rule bad connections out, which left me with a conclusion that the engine ECU (ECM) wasn't working right. I was right about that. After uncovering ECU, I saw it was all corroded outside and even inside. After cleanup, all the random relay and injector clicking went away, the fuel pump run ok and I was ready for first trial starting the beast. It started ok, but ran only on four and soon one coil in the coil pack started producing smoke. Got a replacement coil pack and same happened without smoke - running on four. Again, connections to the ECU seems ok and conclusion is still the same - ECU is busted.

After this long story I come to my question - Is this ECU with part number ERR6759 only replaceable with corresponding part number ECU? What else I should know about this? Do I run into problems if I replace it with e.g. ERR7377?

Old 02-03-2009, 10:40 AM
Winching
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: 1996 Discovery ECM

My Disco did something similar this morning. I heard clicking under the passenger side dash.... the rpm started waving, the CEL flashed then everything went back to normal.... Thanks for the tip on that I will check when I get home tonight, I think I found where my idle issue is.

As well as your problem, where did you find those part numbers? I checked through AB and didn't find anything. Anyways, I would swap it only with the same part number. I'm not 100% sure, so someone else will have to chime in.

If you want to use used parts, parts from Discoveries from 1996 to 1999 are the same.

Old 02-03-2009, 07:06 PM
2nd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: 1996 Discovery ECM

I did find ERR6759 printed on the sticker on the ECU itself. After an Ebay-session located several Land Rover ECUs and an ECU with a number ERR7377 for 97' Discovery, which was a lot cheaper, closer to me and even looked the same, but I guess that would not for for my 96. Luckily today I got a nice deal for a correct one outside of Ebay.