Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

1996 land rover discovery????? $1500

Search this Thread

Old 09-06-2008, 07:12 PM
Drifting
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 1996 land rover discovery????? $1500

Ok, in my searchng for a Discovery i found a 1996 sd, it is rough on the inside (the console is in the back seat and the headliner isn't tight, you know those kind of things.) I went to look not knowing that it wasnt in good shape cosmetically. it was a trade in at a local dealer here in Tulsa. the price was 4850. obviously too high. well i drove it just cause i wanted to drive as many as i can before i decide on one. it drove great, shifted smooth and the 4 wheel worked. o and the front door only opens from the inside.... ya it's that car. 118000 miles.

after we drove it i told the salesman to put his bottom dollar on a card and give it to me and i'd call him. of course he marched me into his managers office and the manager said 3500 bottom dollar. i walked. on the way out the salesman comes back and says will you do it for under 3? i said no, he stopped me again in my car on the way out of the lot saying 2500. i said no more than 2000 out the door and told him i had to go so he could call me if that will work with his manager. ha, he calls and says that's good. i told him that i would come by on monday and take it to a mechanic and see what he thought about the mechanical aspects then we will talk.

My question is, should i buy, put the console back together, fix whatever i can for cheap and sell it to turn a quick profit? Or should i just pass on it. it seems like it could be a good deal but i don't want to loose money either. i thought you guys would know about how much i can expect to get for it? or have some input.

i plan on going in on moday, taking to my mechanic, if he ok's it going back to the salesman with 1500 and offering that. if he says no, i walk. Let me know what you think. Thanks for any opinion or info.

Old 09-06-2008, 07:34 PM
Team Owner
Received 95 Likes on 72 Posts
Default RE: 1996 land rover discovery????? $1500

If it is as ruff as you say I would not go a dime over $1500. The door latch is a fairly simple fix. I imagine that the check engine light is on as well as the ABS light.
You can probally bring this truck up to par for $2000. But you will not beable to sell it and turn a profit, even if all you do is put the center console back.
There is a reason that they are so eager to dump it. Ask the saleman how long it has been on their lot. I am betting a really long time.
If you buy it and try tosell it you too will have it sitting around for a long time.

Old 09-06-2008, 07:48 PM
Drifting

It has been there only about a week, it is being shipped off to the auction on monday so they say. and it is a large dealer. so i can't imagine they want to put too much attention in it. it was traded earlier this week. i figure they don't want to jack with it and i was a little wary of why they came down on it so much. And yes the check engine light and abs lights are both on. good call. well thank you for your input. Maybe i just got a little excited about it. Ha, i will try to get some pictures and do a little better assessment on how bad it really is. i think it would clean up alright. but it will never be really sharp. you're probably right though. Thanks.

Old 09-06-2008, 07:50 PM
4wd High

If it's a car dealer they most likely have at least $1000. in it.
They need to make about (at least) $500. to turn a real profit.
That's if they didn't do any repairs to get it ready to sell.
Keep that in mind, there not in business to give them away.

If it drives good, no major problems, it'sworth $3500 retail
Any cheaper is just to your benefit.

Old 09-06-2008, 08:03 PM
Team Owner
Received 95 Likes on 72 Posts

Its only worth what someone is willing to pay.
You are right, a large dealer doesnt want it sitting around and dirtying up their lot. They probally gave $1500 or so for it on trade and if they can break even they will be happy. It will cost them money to ship it to auction so they will need to recup that too.So they would much rather you take it.
As long as it checks out mechanically I would buy it.

Old 09-06-2008, 08:17 PM
TReK
Received 11 Likes on 5 Posts

Blue book on it may be $3500 but it doesn't sound like it is actually worth that much. I paid $3700 for my 97 LSE and it is in a lot better condition than what you described. These are not high demand vehicles that are easy to turn around and make a profit. They are definitely in a niche market and anyone that knows these vehicles will know what it is worth. If you were looking at to keep and off road or even a daily driver I'd say jump on it for $1500, might even consider $2000. But if your plan is to try and turn a profit then I'd advise you to pass and find something more common.

Old 09-06-2008, 08:53 PM
Drifting

I agree with AK, if you are gonna keep it then hop on it if not let the dealer deal with it. Its a tough market to sell any vehicle right now. If you buy it for $1500 and put $500 into and through it on the market for $2500 its gonna sit for awhile. I have a CJ thats been for sale almost 2 months and I have dropped the price several times and only had one call. Now if I had decided to sell it in Feb.-Apr it would be gone

Old 09-06-2008, 09:58 PM
4wd High

I wouldn't do it. I've been trying to unload a 97 XD for months and I'm down to $1750, lots of interest but no money in my pocket yet. Needs about $300 put into it to pass inspection, but it sounds like it is in way better condition than the one you're thinking about. At least in the northeast, the market just isn't good for rovers right now.

Old 09-06-2008, 10:07 PM
Rock Crawling
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Turn a profit, forgetaboutit. So far everyone's opinion is dead on. When I blindly jumped into my Disco project, I was also thinking the same thing. Sell for a profit.7 months later I'm still working on the truck to make it road worthy. Now the wifey isthinking maybe we should keep the Disco andsell herCivic. The thought of going from a daily driver Civic to a daily driver Disco is not sitting well with me. It wouldbe a big adjustment to get use to the MPG difference. The decision on my truck has not been decided. Unless someone gives me a offer I can't refuse, the plan is to register the truck after all the repairs are done. Drive the truck for a while, then make a decision.

Old 09-06-2008, 10:33 PM
TReK
Received 11 Likes on 5 Posts

97Disco- Do you have any pics of your 97 you are trying to sell. I have a buddy that is a mechanic and may be interested in it. He was ready to buy my 97 for twice that price but I decided to keep it until I find a suitable replacement. Where are you located? He lives in North Dakota but I think he would consoder driving it from where you are if the price is right.

Quick Reply: 1996 land rover discovery????? $1500