Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

1999 Disco Prepare for Cross Country Trip

Search this Thread

Old 09-23-2018, 12:09 PM
Three Wheeling
Received 16 Likes on 10 Posts
Default 1999 Disco Prepare for Cross Country Trip

Greetings! New member, first post. I live in Maryland, and my son lives in SoCal. I found a nice 1999 Disco at Union Jack 4x4 in Garden Grove, and sent my son to look at it. First of all, John at Union Jack seems like a great guy - LR as described was intact exactly how it looked when my son arrived. My son is a former tech, and now works in the motorsports industry, so he knows what he's looking at. Feeling pretty confident in his assessment, I made a deposit. Pick up the LR on Friday during a visit to SoCal.

In the meantime, John at Union Jack has serviced the Disco for the last 10 years, and is selling it on consignment for his customer. So, full service history, including head gaskets and all the usual issues. Previous owner replaced the full interior at a local upholster - full leather door cards, all seating surfaces, full carpet kit, and headliner. Front fenders and hood show paint fade, and we negotiated a deal with John to swap a set from another truck on the lot that are the same color. Otherwise, a good rig.

John will change out all fluids - trans, transfer case, both diffs this week before we pick it up. LOF done recently. All other services are current. He has been driving it himself for a couple of weeks, and it all checks out. Tires are new. Thermostat changed and rad flushed.

My daughter-in-law will drive it to work until we are ready for our trip in April. Then we plan to go from SoCal to Wyoming, then turn east after seeing Yellowstone and Grand Teton. It will be a 2-week long trip.

I will spend next weekend dropping in a USB/BT stereo to make the long trip easier, replacing all the vacuum hoses, and looking over the truck carefully. Then my daughter-in-law begins the shakedown, and we will fly back out for our trip in April.

So my question - what else should I look at and go over before departing? What other preventative maintenance should I perform on any otherwise fully serviced truck?

Oh, and another question - what tools should I pack for the trip? I have AAA premium level of service, so they will tow me up to 100 miles to the shop of my choice, so I am pretty confident that I won't be left in the lurch somewhere. But for basic issues and things that may pop up during our trip, what should I bring along?

Thanks! I've spent a bunch of time reviewing these forums before (and since) buying, and it's very helpful stuff. Thanks to all who participate.

Old 09-23-2018, 12:47 PM
Camel Trophy
Received 1,160 Likes on 836 Posts

As long as all of the regular service has been maintained (fluids, brakes, tires, idler pulleys, etc)...other than that...just make sure it has an updated front driveshaft (greasable) and drive it like you stole it.

Good luck and congrats on joining the Discovery brother/sisterhood.

​​​​​​​ Brian.

Last edited by The Deputy; 09-23-2018 at 12:53 PM.
Old 09-23-2018, 12:56 PM
Camel Trophy
Received 1,160 Likes on 836 Posts

Tools...a few wrenches (open/box end, adjustables, etc), 3/8's socket set, few different style pliers, some screwdrivers, matches and gas (for those hard to solve issues...lol).

​​​​​​​ Brian.

Old 09-23-2018, 02:51 PM
Three Wheeling

Thanks! I’ve read a lot, but never came across greasable front driveshaft. I’ll check on that. If not done, is that just a matter of fitting u joints with grease zerks ? Or is there more to if?

Maybe this is a dumb question - but I used to own a Midget and a Spitfire. The English Rovers are all using metric nuts and bolts now, correct? (Insert Whitworth joke here).

Thanks!

Old 09-23-2018, 03:05 PM
Camel Trophy
Received 245 Likes on 230 Posts

Originally Posted by Shmockiebaby
Thanks! I’ve read a lot, but never came across greasable front driveshaft. I’ll check on that. If not done, is that just a matter of fitting u joints with grease zerks ? Or is there more to if?

Maybe this is a dumb question - but I used to own a Midget and a Spitfire. The English Rovers are all using metric nuts and bolts now, correct? (Insert Whitworth joke here).

Thanks!
All metric.

Replacement driveshafts usually have zerks. The original ones didn't, I believe.

Be sure to take electrical tape, a couple of spare hose clamps, and a few zip ties. You never know ...

I would drive my Rover anywhere and it has not been as meticulously cared for as yours. I think you'll be fine.

Old 09-23-2018, 06:20 PM
Mudding
Received 39 Likes on 31 Posts

Sounds fun! My guess is if its serviced at a reputable shop, its prob had most issues sorted. .... including front driveshaft.

Yellowstone and the Tetons are awesome. ..just expext snowmin April..lol

cheers!

Old 09-23-2018, 08:47 PM
Rock Crawling
Received 99 Likes on 72 Posts

The front drive shaft is next to one of the cats and the heat dries up the grease in the joints. It has probably been replaced from what you've described, but make sure it gets greased b4 you go. 3 u-joints, 1 slip joint, and very important; the centering-ball joint in the center of the double cardan joint. It must be done with a needle fitting. If your driveshaft doesn't have the fitting at the center joint, either have it rebuilt or get a new shaft that does. You don't have to look far for examples of what happens if the shaft fails and takes out the transmission case. Other than that, make sure you have something to monitor your water temp. since the needle gauge doesn't move from center until you're already overheated. By then, sometimes it's too late to avoid engine damage. An OBD2 plug-in with blue tooth and an app for your phone is super-cheap insurance and can check and reset trouble codes too.
Amazon Amazon
Good luck, jealous of your trip!

Old 09-23-2018, 09:12 PM
Three Wheeling

Ok, more good advice. If I cannot be 100% sure of front shaft, I’ll replace it.

Looked at OBD2 BT adaptors. I am used to plugging my computer into my other car to read diagnostics and control functions for testing purposes. But I have never seen one of these in use. It looks like the right app will give you much more accurate temperature range. Well worth the trouble and minor cost.

Thanks!

Old 09-24-2018, 07:38 AM
Camel Trophy
Received 816 Likes on 594 Posts

Have John at Union Jack make sure the superlock feature is turned off in the BCU. It's a small thing until it isn't.

A lot of people on here use the Bluetooth apps but many of us use the UltraGauge. I have mine set up to show coolant temp, of course, but I have O2 volts and fuel trims set up on another page.

Last edited by mln01; 09-24-2018 at 07:52 AM.
Old 09-24-2018, 10:54 AM
Three Wheeling

Lots of good advice. Ultra Gauge keeps phone free for it’s intended use. Not bad, at $80. And an alarm can be set for water temp.

“Ultra lock on bcu “? This means unlock the body systems computer? Please tell me more.

Thabks!!

Quick Reply: 1999 Disco Prepare for Cross Country Trip