Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

1999 LR1 -- steering issues and leaks

Search this Thread

Old 02-06-2010, 06:12 AM
7th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 1999 LR1 -- steering issues and leaks

Firs off i would like to say "hello". For the past 6 months i have been quietly going through these boards finding basically all the answers which i have been looking for. And its been great actually giving the mechanics which i go to tips that i read on here. Im sure it makes them feel that i actually know a few things and less chance for them to rip me off.. haha

I have owned a 1999 LR1 SD with roughly 130k miles for about 7 months now. I totally love this car for the look/feel of it and no matter what the issues i have with it, i am sticking to it.

I am what you would call a complete novice with any automotive work. My trade is computer engineering, but still car issues baffle me.

Since i got this ride i have gotten quite a few things fixed. I will make a short list.

New Brake Calipers/Pads
New Water Pump/Belts (pump failed)
New Air Control Valve (idle was jumpy)
New VSS (speedometer was jumping)
New Plugs/Cables
Replaced stock radio with in dash DD gps unit (some custom fabrication done)

I am still having multiple issues and since i moved down to Palm Coast FL from Brooklyn NY i cant find a reliable trustworthy mechanic down here. In Brooklyn NY i had a great guy, but here i dont know anyone yet.

Just today i went to firestone to change all 4 tires and i asked them to do a check on the car since my check engine light in always on. Back in NY my mechanic got the error code 313 and it was saying i had a misfire. At that time he fixed the problem by cleaning one of my plugs because it had some dirty gas buildup. Since then i only have been using 93 octane. But the check engine light is back on and will not go away. I even try the fuel injector cleaner on all fillups with no results.

In the auto shop i was in today they basically told me i need to change the following:

Engine Valve Cover Gaskets (both) "oil leaking"
Oil Pan Gasket "oil leaking"
Power Steering Hoses (both) "power steering leaking"

I also have some play on the steering wheel and my front left tire wigles a bit when on the lift. This worried me the most out of everything. They said at the shop that this is my bearings. But i am not sure that they are correct since i hear no noises at all while driving.

What do you experts suggest i do? Also maybe you guys can recomend a trustworthy mechanic with some experience on these rides in my area?

Im planning a road trip in a week to NY from FL and back.. Hoping its safe in the condition its in.

Old 02-06-2010, 06:29 AM
TReK
Received 11 Likes on 5 Posts

More than likely you valve cover bolts just need to be tightened. They work loose after a while and will leak oil. I retorqued my valve covers every 6 months like clockwork. It takes a 8mm 12pt socket for those bolts.

Oil pan gasket and power steering line are pretty common failure items.

The movement in the tire I would agree with the mechanic that it's probably bearing related. Could also be worn ball joints.

Old 02-06-2010, 12:41 PM
Camel Trophy
Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

is the tire play in the 12 and 6 oclock position or just side to side? If it is top and bottome, I would agree with bearings.

Cut off the factory clamps for your steering return lines and replace them with worm type clamps. Just like radiator clamps

Get some good 8MM plug wires and new plugs for the mis-fire problem

How bad are your oil leaks?

Old 02-06-2010, 01:07 PM
7th Gear

The play is side to side definately not top to bottom. This makes me think its the tie rod.

Also from more investigating i now see some AF leaking . I guess its either the intake minifold gasket or the head gasket.

Oil leaks are pretty bad, its all over the bottom of the engine. Its something i really do need to fix. I notice more oil junk on the left (driver side) valve cover then on the right. Although it looks the the pwer steering fluid is leaking more then the oil. The powersteering hoses are drenched.

Can you suggest which parts i need?

So far i have these on my list:

http://www.roverparts.com/Parts/9397D.cfm

http://www.roverparts.com/Parts/9218A.cfm

http://www.roverparts.com/Parts/STC2800.cfm

http://www.roverparts.com/Parts/VCGK.cfm

http://www.roverparts.com/Parts/ERR7217E.cfm

Went to a shop today and they suggested me getting rid of the car.. I hate when people do that.

Last edited by alexr54; 02-06-2010 at 01:15 PM.
Old 02-06-2010, 01:50 PM
7th Gear

Actually i think i may just go with the head gasket set to be sure i have everything needed.

http://www.roverparts.com/Parts/STC4082HBK.cfm

Is this a good set or would you suggest something better?

Old 02-07-2010, 10:34 AM
7th Gear

Its confirmed the head gasket is leaking anti-freeze.

Old 02-07-2010, 10:45 AM
Mudding
Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by alexr54
Its confirmed the head gasket is leaking anti-freeze.
You can do the gaskets yourself, it will take you some time, but will teach you much.

W/R/T the hub, while looking beneath the truck, have someone gently and slowly turn the steering wheel while you look for any play at the ends of the tie rods. I suspect you'll need to replace them all.

Don't drive the truck from Fla to NYC until you've ruled out wheel bearings and also have fixed the tie rod ends, failure of either would be bad.

As a shop owner, it is not my job to tell you to keep or sell a vehicle, it's my job to tell you what I found and what it will cost to fix. It is up to the owner to determine if it's worth it to them.

Old 02-07-2010, 11:22 AM
7th Gear

Appreciate the tips. I definately wont be going anywhere before the tie rod and head gasket gets fixed.

Ok we have ruled out the bearings, there is absolutely no play on any wheels up/down. There is just play on one wheel left/right so th mechanic says its only that one tie rod that needs to be replaced.

I found someone who is willing to do the head gaskets for me for $550. And i found the head gasket kit on rovahfarm for $109.

I dont think i can tackle this job myself and everyone i ask with even a bit of experience tells me not to even try it.

Old 02-07-2010, 03:43 PM
TReK
Received 11 Likes on 5 Posts

Make sure you get the replacement head bolts along with the head gaskets. The original head bolts can not be reused.

$550 sounds pretty cheap for a head gasket replacement. I'd definitely do some research about the quality of the work before I'd let anyone touch my truck. I firmly believe you get what you pay for when it comes to mechanic work. Trying to save money when it comes to major stuff like head gaskets usually ends up costing more money and time.