Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

1999 V8 body roll....

Search this Thread

Old 03-03-2013, 07:18 AM
8th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 1999 V8 body roll....

Hi, new on here. Just bought my Disco over here in NZ. Seems a good car only done 160k kms, which is nothing for a car over here. Seen plenty of cars with 300ks driving about.
My problem is she has terrible body roll whilst driving, not just cornering, going in a straight line is bad. Seems Luke the suspension is set in jelly. Having to constantly make minor adjustments to the steering. Looked underneath, everything seems ok and tight. Recently had extra heavy-duty springs fitted and tyres are as new, only a few months old. These two items were fitted prior to me owning the vehicle. If I stand outside and push the body she seems very soft and loose on the suspension. Could this be the front panhard rod bushes ? Seems ok when I get under there and give it a tug...
Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks.

Old 03-03-2013, 07:24 AM
Mudding

The shock s could be worn out. The ones on mine were shot. I replaced them and my truck runs much better. I used the kyb shocks.

Old 03-03-2013, 08:35 AM
Super Moderator
Received 95 Likes on 90 Posts

Does it make noise? Perhaps watts link bushings in the back? Maybe the previous owner removed the anti-sway bars when fitting the HD springs?

Old 03-03-2013, 08:41 AM
Pro Wrench
Received 43 Likes on 41 Posts

Originally Posted by gorry
Hi, new on here. Just bought my Disco over here in NZ. Seems a good car only done 160k kms, which is nothing for a car over here. Seen plenty of cars with 300ks driving about.
My problem is she has terrible body roll whilst driving, not just cornering, going in a straight line is bad. Seems Luke the suspension is set in jelly. Having to constantly make minor adjustments to the steering. Looked underneath, everything seems ok and tight. Recently had extra heavy-duty springs fitted and tyres are as new, only a few months old. These two items were fitted prior to me owning the vehicle. If I stand outside and push the body she seems very soft and loose on the suspension. Could this be the front panhard rod bushes ? Seems ok when I get under there and give it a tug...
Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks.

A few items to inspect. Look at the steering bars (tie rod ends) there are four total. See image below. I just ordered a Terrafirma set from Lucky8 to replace my stock/original bars. I have play in the joint that connects to the pitman arm and I'm sure there is play in the track rod ends . My truck wonders whilst driving down the road.

Another item to inspect is located in the rear, the watts linkage. See image below.

Old 03-03-2013, 08:48 AM
Team Owner
Received 95 Likes on 72 Posts

Bad shocks.

Old 03-03-2013, 10:55 AM
8th Gear

No noise, slight clunk on acceleration which I guess is a bit of play in a uj ? Dark at the mo, can't get under the car at the minute to check the items mentioned. However, don't recall seeing those rear anti sway bars when I last looked. Surely the guy wouldn't have removed them ????

Old 03-03-2013, 11:13 AM
Rock Crawling
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

It's entirely possible that someone did, especially if it was used as an off road truck. But then, many people take them off, drive them on the road for a day, get scared, and put them back on. So I'd still think shoddy shocks are the most likely.

And as for that clunk... It's a Rover thing. Mine does it too, and all my u-joints are in good shape.

Old 03-03-2013, 12:52 PM
8th Gear

No noise, slight clunk on acceleration which I guess is a bit of play in a uj ? Dark at the mo, can't get under the car at the minute to check the items mentioned. However, don't recall seeing those rear anti sway bars when I last looked. Surely the guy wouldn't have removed them ????

Old 03-03-2013, 12:56 PM
8th Gear

Don't know why the above posted again...
Just checked, no sway bars. Just anti roll bar. No sign that it ever had those bars in photo fitted. It's a 1999 imported from Japan, could it be a different model ? Possibly without those bars ? No mounts or fittings for them.

Old 03-03-2013, 01:32 PM
Rock Crawling
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

So you do have anti roll bars? That's what they're meaning by sway or anti-sway bars. Just another way of saying anti-roll bars.

Wait. Do you have a Discovery I or Discovery II? Because, if memory serves me correctly, the Discovery I didn't have a watt's linkage like the DII had. The watt's linkage is pictured above.

Quick Reply: 1999 V8 body roll....