Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

2" suspension lift

Search this Thread

Old 01-04-2017, 05:23 PM
Pro Wrench
Received 183 Likes on 157 Posts

So nothing else needs to be upgraded if going with the Terrafirma HD 3" lift kit from Lucky8? other than brake lines? Might have to contact Erik to change my order for the 999th time...

Old 01-04-2017, 05:38 PM
Mudding
Received 20 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by Jeff Blake
So nothing else needs to be upgraded if going with the Terrafirma HD 3" lift kit from Lucky8? other than brake lines? Might have to contact Erik to change my order for the 999th time...
Well that depends. Although you don't really need much to apply the 3" lift there are some things I think you should know before you actually pull the trigger. Keep in mind I'm all for it and have it on my vehicle but I'm also prepared on and off the trail to deal with its issues it might bring.

The pros are obvious but here are some of the cons.

You need to worry about wearing your rear driveshaft rubber coupler quicker. I try to get out and wheel as much as I can and I can already see the stress I'm putting on it. Since I have a local wrecking yard I carry 2 spares in my truck and am prepared to swap out which is very easy.

The steering wheel is going to feel sluggish and heavy upon its return when turning. That's my biggest complaint if I can even call it that. When hitting a u turn under normal driving condition you need to help the steering wheel back to straight instead of it doing it for you and that's because the trailing arms are now at a different angle then stock.

Lastly on my car it didn't but on a buddies I worked on it happened when the front driveshaft hit the front crossmember when articulated causing him to get spacers for it. Easy fix and that's that.

As far as articulation problems go you won't have any, the +2 shocks in the set will still be your limiting factor before putting strain on your abs lines.

Old 01-04-2017, 06:21 PM
Super Moderator
Received 2,268 Likes on 1,675 Posts

I removed that front cross-member and problem solved.

I like my Terrafirma coils as far as the ride, the height, but the finish on them STINKS.. My coils are barely a year old and the silver paint is just falling off of them.

OME/ARB coils have a much better finish on them, but they're on the pricey side.

If I was to get a new set of 3inch coils I'd certainly try the RTE ones as I've heard their finish is good, the height is good, the ride is good, and the price is good.

Old 01-04-2017, 06:26 PM
Pro Wrench

Thanks for the info. I don't have an issue with the cons you've mentioned.

I think I should do the RTE 3" coils then. Should I go straight to Fox shocks or go with TF All Terrain +2? Sorry for the thread hijack

Old 01-04-2017, 06:44 PM
Super Moderator
Received 2,268 Likes on 1,675 Posts

I like the TF shocks

Old 01-04-2017, 06:46 PM
Pro Wrench
Old 01-04-2017, 07:00 PM
Pro Wrench
Received 112 Likes on 108 Posts

Originally Posted by Rlozano
Well that depends. Although you don't really need much to apply the 3" lift there are some things I think you should know before you actually pull the trigger. Keep in mind I'm all for it and have it on my vehicle but I'm also prepared on and off the trail to deal with its issues it might bring.

The pros are obvious but here are some of the cons.

You need to worry about wearing your rear driveshaft rubber coupler quicker. I try to get out and wheel as much as I can and I can already see the stress I'm putting on it. Since I have a local wrecking yard I carry 2 spares in my truck and am prepared to swap out which is very easy.

The steering wheel is going to feel sluggish and heavy upon its return when turning. That's my biggest complaint if I can even call it that. When hitting a u turn under normal driving condition you need to help the steering wheel back to straight instead of it doing it for you and that's because the trailing arms are now at a different angle then stock.

Lastly on my car it didn't but on a buddies I worked on it happened when the front driveshaft hit the front crossmember when articulated causing him to get spacers for it. Easy fix and that's that.

As far as articulation problems go you won't have any, the +2 shocks in the set will still be your limiting factor before putting strain on your abs lines.
I was just browsing the RTE site and liked the 3" coils and noticed the new towers for the 3" lift. I also noticed the spacers for the crossmember and figured that might have been for the 3" lift. I figured if I was gonna go 3" might as well get a good set of shocks, possibly fox, and I would need to go ahead and order the keepers for the coil springs to be on the safe side. I was looking at swapping out the rear driveshaft to the conversion that lucky8 has and do away with the rotoflex(any input on that would be appreciated). How do the coils handle with a heavy front bumper and rear number and roof rack? Keep in mind, I'll tow a trailer with a golf cart and some tailgating supplies during auburn football. What's the difference in tire sizes you can fit between a 2" and 3"

Old 01-04-2017, 07:03 PM
Pro Wrench

From my understanding, having a lift of any kind is not really a good thing when it comes to towing. Correct me if I'm wrong.
2" = 32" tires
3" = 32.5" tires

Old 01-04-2017, 07:14 PM
Pro Wrench
Received 112 Likes on 108 Posts

Yea hell towing with a discovery 2 is never a good idea lmao. I just pull the golf cart, tent, n a few coolers with adult beverages. Nothing too heavy. I will say this football season, I had cruise set on 90 and it never checked up. And the trailer is a lightweight one also.

Old 01-04-2017, 07:14 PM
Mudding
Received 20 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by Jeff Blake
From my understanding, having a lift of any kind is not really a good thing when it comes to towing. Correct me if I'm wrong.
2" = 32" tires
3" = 32.5" tires
Correct. On 3" lift I have 32" and they rub a bit on my trailing arms when turned fully in certain situations.

Quick Reply: 2" suspension lift